Why is there braille on the drive-through ATM?

The place for anything at all...
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Why is there braille on the drive-through ATM?

Post by Scott Gardener »

I'm a strong proponant on accessability and support for the disabled. And, I'm a believer in helping the visually impaired.

But, isn't it a bit strange that the drive-through ATM at my local bank has braille and voice prompts to assist people with blindness who drive up?
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

wait, if their blind wouldnt they not be able to drive up?
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Ah, the mysteries of man. Makes you wonder why he can't think logically when placing items out for people to use or buy.

Hot dogs--10 links per package

Hot dog buns- 8 buns per package

As for a braille on a drive up ATM, maybe that bank thinks there is blind drivers out there.
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

Figarou wrote:Ah, the mysteries of man. Makes you wonder why he can't think logically when placing items out for people to use or buy.

As for a braille on a drive up ATM, maybe that bank thinks there is blind drivers out there.
in canada is 8 hot dogs, 6 buns
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Heh.

By the way, both my hotdogs and buns come in packages of 8.
:lol:

You could write volumes and volumes on human stupidity and still have only stratched the surface.

-- Vilkacis

Re: Why is there braille on the drive-through ATM?

Post by Guest »

Scott Gardener wrote:I'm a strong proponant on accessability and support for the disabled. And, I'm a believer in helping the visually impaired.

But, isn't it a bit strange that the drive-through ATM at my local bank has braille and voice prompts to assist people with blindness who drive up?
Totally wierd! Hmm so there must be a blind guy driving a car with a white cane attached to the hood that taps the road in front then?

Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Anonymous wrote:
Scott Gardener wrote:I'm a strong proponant on accessability and support for the disabled. And, I'm a believer in helping the visually impaired.

Totally wierd! Hmm so there must be a blind guy driving a car with a white cane attached to the hood that taps the road in front then?

Nope. A guide dog running in front of the car. :D
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

It's probably easier (cheaper) to make one template/mold for all ATMs than it it to make one for walk-up ATMs and drive-up ATMs.

Figarou wrote:Ah, the mysteries of man. Makes you wonder why he can't think logically when placing items out for people to use or buy.

I heard somewhere they were going to stop doing that.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

EXACTLY what I asked my Dad last weekend.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

For the record, I'm told that as long as you're not legally blind you can still drive in many cases. However you can still be not legally blind and still need brail, some people's vision is simply THAT bad.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

I went to my bank's drive up ATM and I didn't see that brail on it. I did see one at the one where you walk up.
Dreamerwolf
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Dreamerwolf »

On another stupidity note...why is there a 'caution: Flammable' warning on fireplace logs? Do we really need a waring...I thought that was the whole point! :P
~A Dream is a wish your Heart Makes~

~For a Dreamer, Night's the only time of day~
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Professional Air Guitarist

Post by Black Shuck »

I remember this one time my dad asked me if I knew why there was a beeping sound when the rails at the IMAX theater come down over your laps. I said no and asked why and he told me it was to alert the blind people :roll: The sad part was I was like "OMG!! You're kidding right?" Yeah, I know, they took 'gullable' outta the dictionary :lol: One of personal favs is 'Do Not Enter When Flooded' Would I want to? Or the warning label on this one set of foreign made knives: Keep Out of Children :lol: Or the sign at the Wendy's here that says they don't allow walk ups at the drive thru. My friends and I are going to get a cardboard box and make it look like a car and play car noises and go through the drive thru
*Wendy's People* Uh, we don't allow walk ups
*Us* What are you talking about? We're in a car? *we turn on the type player and it makes car noises*
Image<-- Don't Do Crack (character from South Park)
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Black Shuck wrote: One of personal favs is 'Do Not Enter When Flooded' Would I want to?
You would think that is obvious, but there are a lot of people around here that get stuck in low water crossings and have to have the fire department rescue them when it rains.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

the reason for that is so you can buy more buns, and they earn more profit, its all about money, making consumers buy more is what the world is all about.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Shadow Wulf wrote:

the reason for that is so you can buy more buns, and they earn more profit, its all about money, making consumers buy more is what the world is all about.
Thats a strange way of doing it. :?
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!
Mood: Excited

Post by Trinity »

The level of human stupidity astounds me sometimes.

One has to consider that certain warnings -and- laws were put into place to "protect' teh popultaion ( as well as teh companies butts when it comes to lawsuits ). So, think. Someone, somewhere out in the vast world, was dumb enough to set themselves on fire and possibly state:

"Well I didn't know the log could catch fire that fast."

Just liek the woman who sued McDonalds cause her coffe burned her when she spilled it on herslef.

Just like the peron who eletricuted themselves while trying to blow-dry their hair while still in teh bathtub.

Just like the peron(s) who got a law in one of the South-Western States enacted:
to"Not discharge firearms during your honeymoon".

o.o

Gak.
:wolfpaint:
LinkedIn - Dev Art - Behance - Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She-wolf who stalked the forums when all else sane, slept.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Trinity wrote:Just liek the woman who sued McDonalds cause her coffe burned her when she spilled it on herslef.
To be completely fair she did get 3rd degree burns on her body, and coffee shouldn't be that hot when you serve it. And McDonalds had been getting complaints about the temp. of their coffee before that.

But she still shouldn't have had it between her legs while she was operating a moving vehicle.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
Trinity wrote:Just liek the woman who sued McDonalds cause her coffe burned her when she spilled it on herslef.
To be completely fair she did get 3rd degree burns on her body, and coffee shouldn't be that hot when you serve it. And McDonalds had been getting complaints about the temp. of their coffee before that.

But she still shouldn't have had it between her legs while she was operating a moving vehicle.
people do stupid things just to get money.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

I saw this a year ago and it was incredibally stupid i know there are better things i've seen but this is all that came to mind it was a sign that said "Illiterate meeting here" :D
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

Well, why do touchscreen ATMs have brail? It is not like they can place the brail on the screen...
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Doruk Golcu wrote:Well, why do touchscreen ATMs have brail? It is not like they can place the brail on the screen...
Maybe they have a sighed person reading off the stuff on the screen to them?

Edit: Do ATM fees annoy anyone else? I just withdrew money from my paypal account at my bank, and between PayPal, and my bank I got charged $3 in ATM fees.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

There are cases I just learned about of legally blind people whos vision is horible beyond reason but are still permited to drive because they can see just well enough to do so
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

Lupin wrote:
Doruk Golcu wrote:Well, why do touchscreen ATMs have brail? It is not like they can place the brail on the screen...
Maybe they have a sighed person reading off the stuff on the screen to them?
Then why have the dots at all if they assume a sighed person is going to be available at all times?
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Doruk Golcu wrote:Then why have the dots at all if they assume a sighed person is going to be available at all times?
Even with the sighted person, the blind one is going to need the braille to figure out what buttons they're pressing.