nitpick- teeth!

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

nitpick- teeth!

Post by PariahPoet »

Ok, I've been watching tf videos on youtube and all I can say to Hollyweird is .... LEARN YOUR ANATOMY, PEOPLE!
Nearly every tf I found has the obligatory half-shifted open mouth shot to reveal a brand new set of fangs, and the teeth are misplaced! There is a top set and a bottom set of canine teeth. The bottom set should NOT be wider set then the top! The top set should come over the second set on the sides like this- \|\---/|/
But all these movies are placing them like this- |\|---|/|
Caine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Caine »

This isn't a nitpick at all, its an important function for a werewolf... I mean, come on, they have to be able to eat, right? If the werewolf's mouth can't even close properly or has the most massive overbite known to the world, something can't be functioning correctly.

Still, it's not to hard to discern what a werewolf's teeth are going to look like. Open the jaw of a wolf and there you have it. You can even look at a medium sized dog and see the same thing... it's not that hard to extrapolate. As to why Hollywood has a hard time getting their imagination to work properly and logically (wow, I just realized the irony in what I said there), they are just money grubbing idiots. The only question you have to have with werewolf teeth is going to be how much humanity will be present in their jaw and mouth vs. a wolves? But, judging by the popularity of the very wolf like gestalt we have all come to identify with, I think the question is quite moot, at least the one that I proposed.

Hollywood's idiocy? That's one for the ages.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Caine wrote:Hollywood's idiocy? That's one for the ages.
It's also redundant. :wink:
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

I believe that a Wolf's teeth overlap that way to shear meat, since Wolf incisors aren't particularly good at cutting things; Wolves use their incisors to grip and rip flesh out of their meal, then scissor it with the tooth overlap.
lck
Of course, with that Overbite- I can see why Werewolves in the movies don't talk: they'd whistle their sibilants and lisp terribly...sorta' like Sylvester, the cartoon cat. :lol:

No wonder they just growl and howl... :howl:  :oo
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Thanks for drawing attention to that problem. I can't tell you how many times I've seen the bottoms outside the tops instead of the other way around.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

I mean, from a make-up and prosthetics point of view, I can see why they do it. Because a human mouth curves gently instead of making a rectangle like a wolf's muzzle, it's easier to fit false teeth together by putting the top fangs on the top incisors and the bottom fangs over the lower bicuspids. But since we have the technology to do good quality cg, there is no need to rely so heavily on makeup effects. It would not be terribly difficult to digitally add slightly elongated fangs to a human image during the first part of the shift then go to a digital render once the muzzle starts to extend.
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

RedEye wrote:I believe that a Wolf's teeth overlap that way to shear meat, since Wolf incisors aren't particularly good at cutting things; Wolves use their incisors to grip and rip flesh out of their meal, then scissor it with the tooth overlap.
lck
Of course, with that Overbite- I can see why Werewolves in the movies don't talk: they'd whistle their sibilants and lisp terribly...sorta' like Sylvester, the cartoon cat. :lol:

No wonder they just growl and howl... :howl:  :oo
Wolves have strong fangs so they can rip the flesh from bones and such, werewolf is bigger than a normal wolf so I guess the teeth are even more showing :D

By the way, where did you get that avatar? Looks funny, want one! :lol:
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...