We Will Always Remember That Day..

The place for anything at all...
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

can we pls not turn this into a bush rant pls?
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Herpscott
Legendary
Legendary

A G*Damn Rant, skip if you like

Post by Herpscott »

I know I will not forget 9/11 either, and I don't want to change the topic, but if I may...

Oil is what America's economy is based on. Without it, America as we all know it will cease to be. I am not a fastidiouos anything and as Richard Jeni once said, "I'm a centrist, a fence sitting, flip-floppy,..." Well you get the point :). Our dependence on oil is not only our love of heavy metal al la SUV's and gas powered vehicles and what not. Many everyday products are made with petroleum products. It is a difficult decision to mar the beauty of ANWR in the North, the only real substantial oil reserve owner by the US or at least friendly nations. Our dependence on oil is very deep. I'd like to think that we are looking to alternatives and with time, we will conquer our need for it. The alternative is to run out and be screwed at that date...whenever that is 50 years, 100 years, 5 years...whatever the theory.

The bottom line is that many people died on 9/11. There are people dying now for what we consider an unjust act brought upon by an ancient dogma that we are not likely to change. However, there are fewer dying today in our "War" than in one day of World War II, the Civil War, or WWI. If a small handful of people dies to bring about radical change, then its small price to pay compared with history. Some things are worth fighting for and death for the greater good, is noble! And yet not without selfishness as well as selflessness. That may be weird to hear, but altruism does NOT exist. Evolutionarily it cannot. What can appear altruistic is completely selfish. Selfishness is not a bad thing. It is selfish to eat, drink, enjoy life, buy your friend a drink, they are all selfish acts. You do them for how they make you feel. There are people there that think they are making a difference and everyday are excited to be a part of that. I hope that their efforts are not all for naught. There's nothing worse than working really hard and not getting the recognition, the money, the goal...whatever that is. Bring our troops home now and we will have trashed everything that those there have worked so hard to achieve. Thus, making those souls feel that their hard work, blood, and stress was for nothing. Perhaps the concensus over there that we should not be there. Perhaps, its we need to stay forever. Whatever it is, it is not a judgement that we on the sidelines are qualified nor justified in making.

What I feel now is utter remorse for those lost in the War, 9/11 and for what appears to be a completely unnecessary conflict that the US has us wrapped up in. Then again, take a look at the human species. A friendly lot, we are not. When will it end? I hope soon. The real answer? Probably never. I hope I'm wrong. The victims of 9/11 deserve resolution and peace. And so do those that fight for it!
"Ignorance is Bliss to those Uneducated" -Nick Hexum of 311

Please don't shoot me!!
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

I know for a fact that I, as an American, HATED putting money into foriegn pockets ( for oil ) long before 9/11. It's a waste of money and resources, and I secretly hoped America would use its science and technology to develop alternatives. Now, do not hate me for this, but 9/11 was in a way, A GOOD THING, because it really woke people up to just how much we are slaves to the tyrannical middle east. Now because of it, you hear dialogue almost every day about alternative fuelsYou just didn't hear that kind of thing BEFORE 9/11 on a regular basis.

I can't wait for new, more environmentally friendly fuels to become widely used. Then MAYBE, MAYBE, we won't ever have to worry about having greater influence in unstable foreign countries for the oil under their soil.
Caine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Caine »

Ok, now we really need to meet. The political scientist in me is crying out for conversation!
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Like I said bro, toss me an e-m,ail and we'll meet.