The damn stupid stinky bears are back! ARRGH!

The place for anything at all...
wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: booooooooooored.....

Post by wolf4life »

i know what tranqulize means...

I said let them live like they are trying to...in their ORIGIONAL environemt
"Es gibt nix, was es nicht gibt", translated "There's nothing which can't exist."

"Choose a good path....because you only get to choose once"-Wolf4life

"TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!"-Gir
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

I GOT MONKEYS IN ME!
Caine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Caine »

I'm confused as to the meaning of the statement above mine. Would someone please explain it?
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Matt...I'm sorry that's cold an uncalled for..It sounds like a personal problem to me..You live out there you deal with wat nature has to offer...If you didn't want to deal with bears than you should not have moved there..Your asking for that to happen an they will do it..This is where they live, but people built over it so now the bears are the problem? The wolves? Move Matt..If you can love nature or deal with it then you need to relocate then..Leave these places to people who respect it..
Fullmoonstar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ...for science

Post by Fullmoonstar »

Z wrote:
Kaebora wrote:If I were to walk across the path of a family of racoons, what would happen? Would they run or attack?
they would run
jeah...i think so too.....When i was confronted with some racoons this summer when i was outside really late at night on our terrace behind the house they ran like hell. I heard about that they attack too...but i think they only to that if you would drive them into a corner...
never stop dreaming. Otherwise your dreams will never come true.
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Post by IndianaJones »

Lighten up, Matt. Today at night I saw a Opossum on top of a fence near my apartment. When I walked up to it, it just stood there. It seems like he or she was trying to take a great look at me. It did hiss at me. I don't see that Opossum as a pest. It didn't really do anything bad to our apartment. The Opossum lives in a abandoned area from another apartment complex that is next to ours. I don't know what it eats, so I am guessing that someone is feeding the Opossum. But the marsupial looked kind of cute
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

I'd say call Animal control, they might know what to do. They've probably tranq 'em and get rid of them or something.

Otherwise, after checking the legality of such, I'd get a gun and take a potshot or two at them. If they don't leave your territory, I figure the appropriate response is to do as a Bear would do if you were on IT'S territory.

That is to say: blast 'em. They got fair warning.

Yeah, others can argue about original environments and nature and s***. But I say a bear who's too dumb to recognize a place he ought not be should be removed from the gene pool. Do the rest of the species a favor. :P
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Z wrote:
Aki wrote:But I say a bear who's too dumb to recognize a place he ought not be should be removed from the gene pool. Do the rest of the species a favor. :P
yea, i know several people with that exact mind frame - towards wolves. how about we also kill all the dumb wolves who dont know their place?
Wolves are, for the most part, actually smart.

They see human land and are like "Woah, avoid that s***," and they do.

No problem with them. They know to stay off other's territory. It's these couple of bears in Matt's backyard that need to be reminded who's territory is where.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Z wrote:
Aki wrote:
Z wrote:
Aki wrote:But I say a bear who's too dumb to recognize a place he ought not be should be removed from the gene pool. Do the rest of the species a favor. :P
yea, i know several people with that exact mind frame - towards wolves. how about we also kill all the dumb wolves who dont know their place?
Wolves are, for the most part, actually smart.

They see human land and are like "Woah, avoid that s***," and they do.

No problem with them. They know to stay off other's territory. It's these couple of bears in Matt's backyard that need to be reminded who's territory is where.
if that was true, then there would never have been a "wolf problem" to begin with because farmers never would've complained about wolves on thier property. bear and wolves are both wild animals, and they BOTH have invaded human territory and vice versa. no species is an exception, no matter how highly you think of them.
Oh, there'd stil be a wolf problem. People just have problems with anything that looks dangerous.

I mean, sharks don't go out of their way to attack people, shark attacks are rare and usually a result of the shark biting out of curiosity, etc. but people still don't like sharks. And while sometimes some wolves do get too ballsy or stupid and pose a problem to farmers, the law does tend to that need. A wolf who kills livestock forfeits it's protection.

I'm not calling for Ursine genocide here. Just if a pair of bears is giving you trouble, Animal control can't handle it or you don't want 'em too, I say any animal that doesn't get off your property after a warning shot or two is obviously so stupid you're probably doing it's species' genepool a favor.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Cute Baby Racoon!
You don't know just how lucky you are to have cool wildlife in your backyard.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Z wrote:
Aki wrote: I'm not calling for Ursine genocide here. Just if a pair of bears is giving you trouble, Animal control can't handle it or you don't want 'em too, I say any animal that doesn't get off your property after a warning shot or two is obviously so stupid you're probably doing it's species' genepool a favor.
ok, so just to be straight, according to your rule, if a farmer sees a couple wolves in his property and deems them nessecary to die, then by all means he should shoot them to death because he believed they might be stupid?
It's reasonable to assume anything that doesn't GTFO out after a warning shot flies over head is terminally stupid.

If they GTFO after the warning shots, they live. They decide to ignore warnings they get their brains splattered.

Simple system.
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

Kaebora wrote:Cute Baby Racoon!
You don't know just how lucky you are to have cool wildlife in your backyard.

We have had a litter of baby raccoons around here.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

All I'm saying is that if you had to deal with them, and occasionally came face to face with one in the dark, as sometimes happens to me, you might not like bears all that much :P
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

MattSullivan wrote:All I'm saying is that if you had to deal with them, and occasionally came face to face with one in the dark, as sometimes happens to me, you might not like bears all that much :P
Not enough to say I want them all dead..
:roll:
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Z wrote:
MattSullivan wrote:i tell ya wolves are cool...but bears...man...they can go extinct for all I care.
if that was a serious statement then: matt u got some serious issues if u believe in apathy towards the extinction of any animal. u are no better than the people who want all wolves to die becuz they believe they are pests.
I was going to point that out too. YOU may like wolves but that is the EXACT attitude that all those farmers had when they slaughtered wolf after wolf. They didnt understand it and they didnt like it. But does that mean it has to die. They're just looking for something to eat, they dont understand the concept that you own that garden. They just think its a harder to access piece of the woods with good food in it.

I did have a run in or two with them up in Pennsylvania and it is scary. But there are people who are afraid of wolves in the same way. You just cant fight for one animal and want to destroy another. It's not fair.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

MoonKit wrote:
Z wrote:
MattSullivan wrote:i tell ya wolves are cool...but bears...man...they can go extinct for all I care.
if that was a serious statement then: matt u got some serious issues if u believe in apathy towards the extinction of any animal. u are no better than the people who want all wolves to die becuz they believe they are pests.
I was going to point that out too. YOU may like wolves but that is the EXACT attitude that all those farmers had when they slaughtered wolf after wolf. They didnt understand it and they didnt like it. But does that mean it has to die. They're just looking for something to eat, they dont understand the concept that you own that garden. They just think its a harder to access piece of the woods with good food in it.

I did have a run in or two with them up in Pennsylvania and it is scary. But there are people who are afraid of wolves in the same way. You just cant fight for one animal and want to destroy another. It's not fair.
Agreed. Why not put something to discourage them from going in there Matt? An electric fence maybe. With just enough voltage so that they know your garden=don't eat there.
XIV
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Silent Hunter »

I think you should read up on some not lethal methods of repellent or ways to keep the bears away. You can't be the only one who has had this trouble so ask around on forums and browse on the web/read related books. In the end its your choice and you can have them killed but as said, that would be double standerds.

Hopefully then you can coexist with without the bears stuffed with lead. hwlwnk :lol:
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Firstly, I like wolves because they are afraid of humans. Bears aren't.

And Z, humans are part of nature too. We have our right to live OUR lives. Wildlife doesn't get a free pass from me just because it's "nature" If I have the chance to shoot one of these guys ( who have attacked me and my family members on more than one occasion ) I will.
wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: booooooooooored.....

Post by wolf4life »

MattSullivan wrote:Firstly, I like wolves because they are afraid of humans. Bears aren't.

And Z, humans are part of nature too. We have our right to live OUR lives. Wildlife doesn't get a free pass from me just because it's "nature" If I have the chance to shoot one of these guys ( who have attacked me and my family members on more than one occasion ) I will.

*GASP*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU CANT KILL THEM!!!!!!!!
"Es gibt nix, was es nicht gibt", translated "There's nothing which can't exist."

"Choose a good path....because you only get to choose once"-Wolf4life

"TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!"-Gir
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Bears are predators. In a one on one encounter with one, we lose. It's a built in feature of our brains to dislike a predator if it has threatened you before. If I saw a wild bear, I'd get the hell out of there. I certainly wouldn't take a gun and shoot one unless it was about to kill me.

Do I think bears should die? No. Do I think bears belong in territory so close to human inhabitants, certainly not. Relocating them is the humane thing to do, rather than be threatened by their presence. If one of those bears kills someone, a mob will go out and hunt for it. Not a good thing for eaither side. Therefore, Matt has a valid point... but is obviously just exaggerating how much he dislikes them.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
chubhound
Legendary
Legendary

Post by chubhound »

Just curious, how old/big ARE those bears? I only ask because the pics make them look a tad on the young side. Not that age makes a difference to you if one of them happens to come charging your way, I'm just wondering how old or big they are. Plus....I'm a pretty big fan of bears (not exactly THOSE kind of bears though)
Life is too serious to be taken too seriously
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

They aren't full grown. themother bear ( not pictures ) s substantially larger, about the size of a pony.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

MattSullivan wrote:They aren't full grown. themother bear ( not pictures ) s substantially larger, about the size of a pony.
Does the mother bear eat from your garden too? And by the way, since noise scares bears away, maybe you could create a tripwire with tin cans, so that they would rattle against each other when the bears came and would scare them away.
XIV