Another weird question: What if someone destroys the moon?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

By Grapthor's Hammer...

Post by Scott Gardener »

Nuplexus must be a Jovan gas giant to have that many moons. The werewolf would have to drive, because under the increased gravity, he or she might be the only one still able to stand up for any length of time. Not to mention the crushing atmospheric pressure...

But, to answer the question, if the moon over Earth has some unique properties that somehow causes shapeshifting, then the lycanthrope would be unaffected out there, unless the planet just happened to have moons made out of the same stuff. If so, then the creature might on rare occasionally actually see a human form, but most of the time would have to pack extra shampoo.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

What if the moon was destroyed?

Post by Silent Hunter »

I was watching this and it made me wonder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53OjnId6Bho

Assuming that shifts are caused by the full moon what would be the effect on WW's if the moon was:

1/4 destroyed?

1/2 destroyed?

Totally destroyed?

Note that we are just focusing on the effect on Were's and not the other effects of having the moon destroyed would bring.

Thanks for the replies.
:howl:  :oo [/url]
Caine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Caine »

Haha, that movie is hilarious. Though, considering a lot of members on this forum think that lycanthropy is something not controlled by the moon, but rather through biological differences, I doubt it would have anything affect on werewolves at all. Also, considering that wolves don't actually howl AT the moon nor do they increase the frequency of their howls when the moon is full, I doubt there would actually be any affect on werewolves at all.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

The truly sad thing is that we actually have covered this already.

http://www.thepack.network/thepackboard ... .php?t=372
Caine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Caine »

Man... this forum has covered WAY too many topics!
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

You'll find it's just one reason why I rarely post up here anymore.... :p
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Terastas wrote:The truly sad thing is that we actually have covered this already.

http://www.thepack.network/thepackboard ... .php?t=372
But that doesn't mean we can't let the newer members discuss it again. We can't expect everyone to want to read dozens of pages of previous posts. I say let this discussion continue. If we want ANY new people to stick around, they should be allowed to talk about old subjects.

Personally, I think werewolves should still be able to change without the moon's presence with the use of some kind of meditation, or a blend of powerful drugs. The destruction of the moon would cause widespread problems for the planet's ecosystem though. So after we survive the impact of lunar projectiiles, flooding, and earthquakes, then we can worry about the werewolves.
:P
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silent Hunter »

The destruction of the moon would cause widespread problems for the planet's ecosystem though.
Me wrote:Note that we are just focusing on the effect on Were's and not the other effects of having the moon destroyed would bring.
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Rather than complaining to me about trailing off subject (which is a hypocritical situation given your response)... quote this instead:
Kaebora wrote:Personally, I think werewolves should still be able to change without the moon's presence with the use of some kind of meditation, or a blend of powerful drugs.
-Kaebora
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silent Hunter »

But we are assuming for this thread that the shift is moon triggerd. I mean you could assume that the shift is done a different way for the sake of a thread you may do.

Sorry if i came across as hostile. :(
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Not at all. Picture me talking like Ben Stein, and you have my usual forum attitude about right. Kind of like a cocky Vulcan (if you know Star Trek).
:vulcanwolf: :lol:

But I do beleive that a stressful environment (i.e.: lawless post-disaster anarchy and famine) would make meditation difficult. One cannot meditate when the body is malnurished or in danger. I just think that the shifting process could be thought as an always present thing. The gravity of the moon merely makes the shifting easier, and sometimes inevitable.
-Kaebora
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Were the Moon destroyed; unless we were very very very lucky, the Earth would go with it.

The most common idea; that of an asteroid striking the moon and shattering it, would send state-sized chunks of Luna straightaway into the Earth. Other chunks would eventually de-orbit and hit the Earth as well.

The likelyhood of a Werewolf, or anyone else- surviving long enough to even notice the effects of "no moon for Werewolves" is vanishingly small.
The Earth would be "reset" to pre-life status, with a poisonous atmosphere, oceans of lava, and no water... Not my kind of place.
Furthermore, without the Moon; Earth would experience shifts of axial rotation by as much as fifty degrees...it would never be stable enough to develope life as we know it.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

(I like RedEyes version of events : "Don't worry about not changing guys and gals. We're all going die! Wait...
WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE! AHHHHHHHHH!")
:howl:  :oo :lol:
(Howl with laughter)
Oh, for god sakes, that was bad.
(Eh, big deal. It just depends on what the moon is to the werewolves.
In your story they just revear her as a protector of the werewolves. They worship God, but they ask her secondly for aid. In mine, it aids with their healing abilities. That's why the % Moon" makes them hyper healers. They can pull their bodies back together if they get dismembered. (Don't say anything. The Bad Guys do that to Fullmoonstar. His eyes go red, he gets up, and says "Nice try mother (bleep)" and kills them. Oh, and he doesn't actually swear by the way. It's just the attitude.) other than the moon, they would die if that happened during a regular full moon, and the moon only happens once in say, thirteen thousand years? So other than healing or revearing, we've pretty much removed the moon as a trigger for changing, and as long as my ladies and gentlewolves don't mind having to heal at the humans rate, which is normally what they do otherwise, they're cool. It just depends on how the werewolf is tied to the moon. :howl:  :oo -er back now. :lol: )
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot

(Question:
Why can't i type and it stay?) :? :x :? :x
BLOODLY HELL. :lol:
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Haven't any of you seen the movie "Time Machine", where we blew up the moon and forced ourselves to live underground?
-Kaebora
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

My opinion:

If the moon blows up, it'll come to earth and crash into there, just like Kaebora mentioned. There won't be a single lycanthrope left if the moon crashed hard enough to tear the earth into 7 parts, and even if there are, their souls will most likely depart into some form of hell after suffocating in space.
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silent Hunter »

Ok lets change the thread setting as this will all end in DOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!!(c)

Lets say the moon just vanishs. What would the effect on WW's then?
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Change or not, a request like that is like asking someone to give away their livers on the spot. That's rude.

And if the moon vanishes... Well, Uncle RedEye already said his piece about axial whateveritis. If it makes you feel any better, i don't believe it'll make a difference for werewolves, except for the fact that the most gullible werewolves would feel so demoralized about the moon disappearing, they don't want to shift anymore.
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silent Hunter »

Change or not, a request like that is like asking someone to give away their livers on the spot. That's rude.
How? I simply tried to say what i meant at the start of this thread.
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Absolute Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Absolute Wolf »

If that would happen than life on earth would probably be wiped out.(including WW's)
Anyway...Thats not the point.
Supposing that the moon vanished.
Werewolves would probably be able to shift, yet they would be a bit more vulnerable.They receive a kind of energy from the moon.They would probably lose a bit from their heightened speed,senses and regeneration process, more or less.Not mentioning that it helps them to keep balance between their souls.Yet it plays a great role....(My opinion)
Weredragon511
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Weredragon511 »

i think that ya can change without the moon FOOLS!!! lol but yeah seriously
-->i'm not crazy i only pretend<--
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

My werewolves don't depend on the Moon to shift, so the biggest effect would be psychological. (What! The Moon! Gone! You've got to be [quack]ing me! Has somebody with a 50,000 Tera-Ton mass driver gotten carried away by too many episodes of "Space: 1999"?)

But, for Freeborn-style werewolves, who shift both involuntarily on full moons and at will with practice, awakening The Gift would become a lot harder, because there wouldn't be anything to drive out shifting automatically. It's a lot easier to learn to do something consciously when once a month you're dragged kicking and screaming into it than if there's no external pressure.

"You've been bitten! Oh, you're in for it now! You're going to change! You're going to... well... sooner or later. You'll change, eventually. The pleasures and horror await you, the screaming metamorphosis that yields freedom and exhileration... it's coming... it'll get to you eventually. You'll figure it out. You'll wake up one night, bored, can't sleep because you're wondering about the sudden, inexplicable disappearance of a celestial body, and the pangs of dark delight will... uh... it helps if you close your eyes and mash on them until you see sparkly colors. It's kind of like that."
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Scott Gardener wrote:uh... it helps if you close your eyes and mash on them until you see sparkly colors. It's kind of like that."
HAHAHA! I have no idea how that relates to the subject... but it's funny. :lol:
-Kaebora
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Kaebora wrote:Haven't any of you seen the movie "Time Machine", where we blew up the moon and forced ourselves to live underground?
Yes.

Damn, that was cool.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary

(Haven't seen time machine yet.
Looked good,
dont' care all that much.
The moon's gone....
Werewolves-- "what are we going to howl at now?"
Round of laughter follows, and they all shift... into ducks?!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!)
{Slaps werewolf self in the back of the head.} They wouldn't shift into ducks becasue the moon's gone.
But as we said before, it depends on what the connection between werewolves and the moon is. If its not that important, then it doesn't matter.
Duckified, Figarou? :?
V, from V for Vendetta.