Weird fears or phobias

The place for anything at all...
Blacktail
Just Bitten
Just Bitten
Custom Title: Lightpaws' cousin

Weird fears or phobias

Post by Blacktail »

Well, anyone have fears or phobias that everyone else thinks is weird? Know anyone who does? Share your freakish tales here.

I'll start: I have a problem with bodies of water. Pools, lakes, jaccuzzis. Grandma says it's because Lightpaws' dad tossed me into the pool when I was little.

And since she prolly won't share: Lightpaws is scared of Santa Clause! Everytime the holidays come about, we have to keep her away from Walmart and the Mall. And she has this weird thing with pencils.
Lightpaws says: Pedophillia is bad! 40 year old men looking for 15 year old girls, just stop. 15 will get you 20.
DarkShadow
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The coffee addicted were

Post by DarkShadow »

Well this probably isn't weird, but I hate spiders :shudder: they're so creepy
I can proudly say that I am not a stamp of the person beside me

Icon made by Z :D
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Spiders (you can look up the 'this was in my room'-topic). Its not really that they scare me, but they are just ugly and annoying. Whenever I see a spider I can't help but get the urge to smack it with something...
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

I have a phobia of being touched. There are only a handful of close friends that I will hug. But if somebody comes up behind me and puts their hand on my shoulder, they're likely to lose it. It just really freaks me out.
I don't mind it when I'm in my costumes because there is a barrier of fur between myself and the other person and because people will usually ask first.

Pregnancy also squeams me out really bad. I don't know why, but even knowing that my physical form is capable of such is enough to throw me into a panic attack if I dwell on it. I find the whole idea thoroughly repulsive...
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Pregnant women are freaky. I have a very strong aversion to them. Please keep that swollen parasite-containing abdomen the hell away from me, kthx.
Last edited by Set on Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Spongy »

I absolutely cannot stand the sight or thought of jellyfish. Nasty, disgusting, hideous things.
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Possessed by the Ghost of Cumulus

Post by cumulusprotagonist »

... I ...

No nevermind
Maybe I am wrong...

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!!!

Photography by ___________
Photo Manipulation by Z
LightPaws
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The 1st Alchemy using WerePomeranian evAr!

Re: Weird fears or phobias

Post by LightPaws »

Blacktail wrote:Well, anyone have fears or phobias that everyone else thinks is weird? Know anyone who does? Share your freakish tales here.

I'll start: I have a problem with bodies of water. Pools, lakes, jaccuzzis. Grandma says it's because Lightpaws' dad tossed me into the pool when I was little.

And since she prolly won't share: Lightpaws is scared of Santa Clause! Everytime the holidays come about, we have to keep her away from Walmart and the Mall. And she has this weird thing with pencils.
First of all, you said you could swim, so my dad assumed you were telling the truth and tossed you in.

Second, It's a fat dude whos hundreds of years old who breaks into your house in the middle of the night! What's not to be scared of. :x
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise

Post by Kaebora »

What would you call the fear of filthy bathrooms? :(
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
tyger
Legendary
Legendary

Post by tyger »

I'm like Pariah, I hate to be touched. it's not a germ thing. I dunno.. butI rarely even hug my own mom. :(
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

Kaebora wrote:What would you call the fear of filthy bathrooms? :(
Common sense.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Oh geeze, Kae, I gotta agree... *shudder* :(

I'm not so much scared of pregnant women (though I fail to see the beautiful "glow" about them. They just look tired and miserable to me.) It's the thought of being pregnant myself- bloating out, being sick all the time, playing host to another organism for 9 months. And after that, the joy of never sleeping again, cleaning up someone else's poop, and breastfeeding.....*gag* That is just horrifying. Those are for decorative purposes only! O_o
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise

Post by Kaebora »

That's why mothers always win arguments with their kids when they bring up the 9 months of labor and painful birth. As much as I thought about it, there's no appropriate come-back to counter it. As much as most will deny it, women in America "pwn" men.

Although, I always hear the same thing from most moms. "It was worth it." Maybe you'll endure it one day, but experiance the miracle of a child of your own as a result. Do you agree?

(WOO! 1,700th post.)
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

Heh, wow, this is an interesting thread and congrats Kaebora! :D

Hmm...I think my biggest fear are needles. *shudders* Especially near the neck. So you know those movies where the bad guy comes out of no where and stabs another character in the neck with a needle? GOD that freaks me out so much! Second thing...I don't like being touched either. It's not really a fear, but it makes me very uncomfortable to be touched by someone I don't know.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

I hate wet paper. I don't know why, but I just do.
XIV
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Possessed by the Ghost of Cumulus

Post by cumulusprotagonist »

This is going to have to get a lot weirder before you will hear a peep out of me.
Maybe I am wrong...

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!!!

Photography by ___________
Photo Manipulation by Z
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

cumulusprotagonist wrote:This is going to have to get a lot weirder before you will hear a peep out of me.
Coward. There are people who have a phobia of pretty much everything, nothing you can say will surprise me.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

Other people's hair. :cry:

Yuck! No really. Like I wont sit on the comfy chairs at Starbucks because they are hair MAGNETS. Well, not the fact that they have hair...more the stray hairs that get left behind. Yuck!
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Storyteller and Artist
Mood: Angry

Post by Avareis »

I am hydrophobic. I have a fear of being in open waters, even in pools. It all started when I went to a boat party for my hockey team. We decided to bellyboard behind the boat as it was pulling one or two of us along. Well, the coach was a drunk and kept going, even after I wiped out. I was out there for a half and hour, no land in sight, no boat to be anywhere. I kicked away the board after I felt something swim by my feet. The boat finally came back and even though I couldn't see them, my mates told me how a couple sharks were swimming around me as they got there. I was only 7 year old and ever since I can't go out into the ocean and I panic when I am in the middle of a pool.

Another phobia I have is called Aphenphosmphobia. I know what it is called, because that's what the doctor said I had when I flipped out. I am afraid of people touching me. I am a highly clean person, taking up to three showers a day, brush my teeth three times a day and I wash my cloths at least twice before I wear them again. But when it comes to people I don't like to be touched unless it's the intimate other.

I know I am strange, but everyone else is too.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

I dunno. I have been in terrifying situations, and yes I was wet-your-pants terrified...but I was too busy trying (sucessfully- I think...) to get out of them to really be afraid.
I suspect that a lot of people are that way: There are terrifying situations, people, and places-but once you're there you're too freaked and too busy extricating yourself to be afraid. Afraid is for AFTER-when it all hits you.

Phobias are an entirely different animal. It's claimed that a Phobia is a death memory from your last life...the last remains of what killed you; before you were you. It makes as much sense to me as any Doctor's explanation of chemistry and brain function.
I get the feeling that even the M.D.'s don't really know what makes Phobic Behaviour.
Touch? Being grabbed from behind and then feeling the knife slide into your back and into your heart...or across your throat? Fur/Dust? Asthma before there was a treatment for it? Fur or Hair "choking" you to death as your body reacts excessively and kills itself?
Reincarnation may or may not be the case, but it would explain a lot of odd fears that lack rational sources.

Then there's the "Eeeew!" factor. That's more a gross-out than a fear, but it can act like one, certainly. Some things are just not very pretty, pleasant, or appealing...and we react to them with the same emotion-set as we do to a fear. Slimy things, poisonous things, ugly things- can make you recoil with what feels like fear...and it IS, for all considerations.

I've been afraid-but I knew it. I don't know if there's something I would fear without reason, or more properly-I haven't encountered it, yet.
But I'm not dead, and maybe I'll meet that fear before I die.
I hope not.
The closest thing I can think of now would be either paralysis, or being trapped in a non-functioning body in a nursing home...still aware.
Yeah- That I'm very afraid of...
Seriously.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Well, I consider wet paper my grossout fear. I consider it so gross that if I see some that some idiot has put into a urinal, I'll reach in and throw it away. Yes, I'm that afraid of that.
XIV
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

RedEye wrote:It's claimed that a Phobia is a death memory from your last life...the last remains of what killed you; before you were you.
I've never heard that one before. It seems odd to me. I guess I'm having trouble trying to wrap my brain around such a concept when I remember how I kicked the bucket in several of my old lives...and I'm really not afraid of any of those things, I just don't want to go through them again because they hurt quite a lot.

Fear is...a bit weird with me. I'm not afraid of anything. I just really really hate certain things.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Set wrote:
RedEye wrote:It's claimed that a Phobia is a death memory from your last life...the last remains of what killed you; before you were you.
I've never heard that one before. It seems odd to me. I guess I'm having trouble trying to wrap my brain around such a concept when I remember how I kicked the bucket in several of my old lives...and I'm really not afraid of any of those things, I just don't want to go through them again because they hurt quite a lot.
In that explanation; it's the specific sensation that immediately preceded demise. Remembering how one died is usually at a removal; you are seeing it as something that happened, but in the past.
Phobic behaviour is more visceral; it's the sensation that you felt just before death claimed you. Ususally, it was the last non-dying sensation before your mind and body were very un-expectedly separated. You "remember it" and react because the next sensation was dying-usually quite unpleasantaly. It's the "just before" feeling-not the death itself. It triggers your self-preservation reflexes quite independantly of your consiousness, so you "fear' for no sensible reason.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

:lol: So I could have been killed by hair in a past life? :lol:

And half of the pack members were killed by pregnant women. :D

(Side Note: Me and my mate had a little kid in a pretzel costume follow us around the mall today..does that count as a phobia...it was pretty damn creepy!)
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

MoonKit wrote:
And half of the pack members were killed by pregnant women. :D
Or maybe died in childbirth. ^^