My View On Lycanthropy

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
pandawolf
Pack Member
Pack Member

My View On Lycanthropy

Post by pandawolf »

Okay basically what i think lycanthropy is, is the mixing of a human DNA with a animal DNA.

My Explanation

When a female wolf is in mating season the DNA of its embryo surges through the blood and the saliva of the wolf. If the Wolf bites a human the DNA soon goes in to the human blood and mixes in to the veins. But he is not a lycanthrope yet because this is not Spider-Man where the DNA changes while in the mans body. The Wolf DNA soon makes it way to the Scrotum where it mixes through the sperm. When the human has intercourse and a child is made. The child has Wolf DNA which is triggred by the light spectrum of the Full Moon.

So How Is It Guys.....
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Scientifically? Totally ridiculous. DNA doesn't float around - it's in the nucleus of a cell. And if foreign cells (the wolf cells) ended up in a human body, the immune system would swiftly mop them up. Also, DNA does not "mix" with foreign DNA. And, even if it did and you got wolf-and-human DNA you'd likely get some vaguelyu wolfish/human freak, rather than someone capable of swifting forms due to the UV and light radiation reflected off the moon.

Creatively? Well, you get an A in this category. Never heard this approach, for sure. :grinp:
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Possessed by the Ghost of Cumulus

Post by cumulusprotagonist »

Modern Science would not be able to explain it, and even if it could it would be so complicated that most people would not be able to understand it. In this case it would take a rocket scientist and then some.

So even if someone explained it in simple terms, this explanation would easily be refuted. Where only the extremely complex version is irrefutable.

There are assumptions they make people use in math and science classes, this is even the case in younger grades. If you notice some of these assumptions are taken away when you get into a higher grade and you are forced to go into further complexity.
Maybe I am wrong...

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!!!

Photography by ___________
Photo Manipulation by Z
pandawolf
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by pandawolf »

Soory about the sceintific problems. I hate biology to the core (Even Though I am Junior) but thanks for the A in Creativity
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

pandawolf wrote:Soory about the sceintific problems. I hate biology to the core (Even Though I am Junior) but thanks for the A in Creativity
But you have to rememeber, Biologists will be the ones creating the technology for real lycanthropy, hopefully maybe within our lifetimes.
XIV
pandawolf
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by pandawolf »

Fan of Chemistry, huge fan of astronomy but just hate biology, i think biology is kinda boring
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I already told elsewhere on this forum what lycanthropy is and why it doesn't have anything to do with werewolvism.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
pandawolf
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by pandawolf »

Lycanthropy: the assumption of the form and characteristics of a wolf held to be possible by witchcraft or magic

Source: Websters Dictionary
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Meh...

Post by Sebiale »

The idea of reacting specifically to the light spectrum created by the Moon is rather unusual. I'm not a phycsicist, but i'm pretty sure that there's no known substance that will have a physical reaction to contact with light at all since it's a combination of both waves as well as particles. Even if their was something that could react from the effect of light in such a manner, this would also cause your werewolf to change during the day as well from Moon since the Moon's light is simply a reflection of the Sun's light.

There is also the question of, if the werewolf transforms from a reaction caused by light, does that mean it will shift back when it goes out of the light?
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.
pandawolf
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by pandawolf »

[quote="Sebiale"]The idea of reacting specifically to the light spectrum created by the Moon is rather unusual. I'm not a phycsicist, but i'm pretty sure that there's no known substance that will have a physical reaction to contact with light at all since it's a combination of both waves as well as particles. Even if their was something that could react from the effect of light in such a manner, this would also cause your werewolf to change during the day as well from Moon since the Moon's light is simply a reflection of the Sun's light.

quote]

Well our skin reacts in a different way to UV Partocles so there is no saying that moon light has special properties
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

Perhaps it's because for a Werewolf (with the usual enhanced night vision), it's like a somewhat overcast day?

You have a choice of going out when you can't see a thing, or when you hold a visual advantage. Which do you choose? A Werewolf going "HOW-ugh! thud (Grumble) Thud OWWWWWWW! (as a Were-toe connects with a rock) gets no respect, does he/she? :lol:

So, one uses the advantage of the Full Moon, to see where one's going. :wink: Simple, no?
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

pandawolf wrote:Lycanthropy: the assumption of the form and characteristics of a wolf held to be possible by witchcraft or magic

You have a s*** source.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
LunarCarnivore
Legendary
Legendary

Uhhh...Moonlight?

Post by LunarCarnivore »

Ok lets see, moonlight is a reflection, its got no special properts watsoever. if the moon effected werewolves it would be one of two things:

1) Gravitational pull, like the tides.
2) Psychological, true wolf packs always do their biggest hunt on the full moon, and it might be wolf instinct that tells a were to change and hunt on these nights.

thats my take on the moon thing, as for the rest very origanal with the embryo and whatnot. i like the idea of a virus implanting the wolf DNA, like modern gene therapy. :shift: :D
Formerly known as Wolf-Man-24
pandawolf
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by pandawolf »

Morkulv wrote:
pandawolf wrote:Lycanthropy: the assumption of the form and characteristics of a wolf held to be possible by witchcraft or magic

You have a s*** source.
What do you mean "s***" Websters is one of the most reputed dictionary's in the whole world.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Morkulv is just being obnoxious. Relax...as for Webster's-they are one of the most conservative dictionary groups around, so don't worry.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

pandawolf wrote:What do you mean "s***" Websters is one of the most reputed dictionary's in the whole world.
"Reputed" doesn't exactly mean "best". That's like saying EA is the best company in making high-quality games just because they're one of the richest of all game companies, and you would go as far as promoting fascism to anyone who is brave enough to mention their immense number of screwups.

"Best" means more than one book written in blood, sweat and tears by authors unconditionally devoted to what they are writing.
pandawolf
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by pandawolf »

kitetsu wrote:
pandawolf wrote:What do you mean "s***" Websters is one of the most reputed dictionary's in the whole world.
"Reputed" doesn't exactly mean "best". That's like saying EA is the best company in making high-quality games just because they're one of the richest of all game companies, and you would go as far as promoting fascism to anyone who is brave enough to mention their immense number of screwups.

"Best" means more than one book written in blood, sweat and tears by authors unconditionally devoted to what they are writing.
I newer said best i just said reputed
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Then Morkulv could mean that you either used an erroneous source, or he's vaguely pointing out that the depth of your (re)search is insufficient that it makes your written conclusions of substandard/questionable quality. Or in simple english, of "noobish" quality.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

As in Morkulv's source is unimpeachable? C'mon people, let's have some manners here before the Mods lock the thread.

Just to toss in some fuel for the fire;
Lycanthropy (Lye-can-throw-pea): The method by which a lycanthrope marks territory. :lol:

Consider the source: Lycos (Gk.) - Wolf. Anthro(Gk.) - Man, manlike.
Lycanthrope - Wolf-like Man or Manlike Wolf. Then derive it. Both Pandawolf and Morkulv are "right"...but since the topic is "My view on Lycanthropy" and the author is Pandawolf; I'd say Pandawolf prevails.

Note the word "My" in the title. It's Pandawolf's view...not Morkulv's or kitetsu's view, which are probably different.

So, chill-please! Would either of the detracting commentators have acted as politely as Pandawolf has, given the response to his/her post?
Don't think so.... :x
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

It was a good attempt; it's good to stir your imagination.

Still, the science doesn't add up. It flies squarely in the face of biological facts. Still, so does a lot of movies and TV. Even Star Trek episodes have done it.

You might hate suffering through biology courses right now, but you may find it a bit more interesting when you can do something with it. Knowledge of biology can help you come up with more plausible werewolves. And, if some 20 or 200 years from now someone makes the real thing possible, it'll take knowledge of biology to get you there.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
pandawolf
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by pandawolf »

Scott Gardener wrote:It was a good attempt; it's good to stir your imagination.

Still, the science doesn't add up. It flies squarely in the face of biological facts. Still, so does a lot of movies and TV. Even Star Trek episodes have done it.

You might hate suffering through biology courses right now, but you may find it a bit more interesting when you can do something with it. Knowledge of biology can help you come up with more plausible werewolves. And, if some 20 or 200 years from now someone makes the real thing possible, it'll take knowledge of biology to get you there.
Only show i know that stays true to science is Maybe HOUSE and STARGATE
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

I was trying to open eyes here. To try and turn one of you around to view what you are talking about here, and what you are talking about has little to nothing to do with actual werewolvism. No matter what meaning the word nowadays is, when you are talking about lycanthropy you are talking about something that can send you to the mental-hospital when 'infected' with it. Because thats all what it is, a mental condition. Not 'human DNA mixed with animals'-bullshit, and especially not the Hollywood-fabricated meaning people are giving it now. And rather then looking it up in a dictionary (since when did a dictionary became a encyclopedia anyway?), you could have instead looked at history and writings so you can confirm my words for yourself.

Ofcourse people are still gonna abuse that word for anything related to werewolves (Underworld anyone?), but that doesn't make it more truthfull. And since I see it a my job to destroy bullshit I will not utter the word lycanthropy to anything related to werewolves since I know the true meaning of werewolvism, and it is far more complicated then Hollywood wants you to believe.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise

Post by Kaebora »

I always liked the genetic clone theory. Carefully molded strands of DNA in a laboratory to create the perfect being. Then all the scientists get killed and the were-monster has to be hunted down by the teenage son of the lead scientist after his girlfriend is eaten alive. Classic.
:lol:
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Morkulv wrote:I was trying to open eyes here. To try and turn one of you around to view what you are talking about here, and what you are talking about has little to nothing to do with actual werewolvism. No matter what meaning the word nowadays is, when you are talking about lycanthropy you are talking about something that can send you to the mental-hospital when 'infected' with it. Because thats all what it is, a mental condition. Not 'human DNA mixed with animals'-bullshit, and especially not the Hollywood-fabricated meaning people are giving it now. And rather then looking it up in a dictionary (since when did a dictionary became a encyclopedia anyway?), you could have instead looked at history and writings so you can confirm my words for yourself.

Ofcourse people are still gonna abuse that word for anything related to werewolves (Underworld anyone?), but that doesn't make it more truthfull. And since I see it a my job to destroy bullshit I will not utter the word lycanthropy to anything related to werewolves since I know the true meaning of werewolvism, and it is far more complicated then Hollywood wants you to believe.
Where did you get the idea that the primary meaning of lycanthropy is the disorder, not the actual shapeshifting?

And please, stop being such a grammar Nazi. What's the big deal anyway?
XIV
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

Morkulv wrote:I was trying to open eyes here. To try and turn one of you around to view what you are talking about here, and what you are talking about has little to nothing to do with actual werewolvism. No matter what meaning the word nowadays is, when you are talking about lycanthropy you are talking about something that can send you to the mental-hospital when 'infected' with it. Because thats all what it is, a mental condition. Not 'human DNA mixed with animals'-bullshit, and especially not the Hollywood-fabricated meaning people are giving it now. And rather then looking it up in a dictionary (since when did a dictionary became a encyclopedia anyway?), you could have instead looked at history and writings so you can confirm my words for yourself.

Why are you on this board? Do you even like werewolves and shapeshifting? I understand lycanthropy is a mental disorder but if we're talking about people who get forced to change...it can be used loosely, dont you think?
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend