The 100 GREATEST CARTOONS!

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

The 100 GREATEST CARTOONS!

Post by MattSullivan »

Some awesome british guy put up all 21 episodes of the greatest cartoons ever made. Start here.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N8BIrtBhOd8& ... 4F&index=0
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Nice! I remember watching the pink panther, I always thought he was cool! And I still do. :D
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Somehow I knew the Simpsons would be #1, and yet it still absolutely pissed me off when they finally got to it. The Simpsons were pretty good for a while, but they've sinced reached a point where I think Matt Groening is only doing one of two things: Producing absolute crap and laughing at how everyone still calls it gold, or ripping off Family Guy and laughing at how everyone insists that Family Guy is ripping off him (seriously, Santa's Little Helper could walk out on his hind legs and ask who's leg he has to hump to get a dry martini and people would still insist that Brian was the ripoff). Screw Groening and screw anyone that insists The Simpsons are still comedic genius.

Admittedly, I only made it to 57 before I got aggravated and jumped to the last three, so I don't know how many of the shows on the full list I would've put on my top 100. Of the ones I saw though. . . Probably about five or six. :P
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Spongy »

I can't believe Simpsons was number 1. It's good, I agree with that, but its not that good. I don't know what I would have picked as the number one cartoon, but not that... Oh well.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Pink Panther and Garfield pwn Simpson's face.
I've never liked Simpsons.(though oddly enough, I love Futurama)
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Terastas wrote:Somehow I knew the Simpsons would be #1, and yet it still absolutely pissed me off when they finally got to it. The Simpsons were pretty good for a while, but they've sinced reached a point where I think Matt Groening is only doing one of two things: Producing absolute crap and laughing at how everyone still calls it gold, or ripping off Family Guy and laughing at how everyone insists that Family Guy is ripping off him (seriously, Santa's Little Helper could walk out on his hind legs and ask who's leg he has to hump to get a dry martini and people would still insist that Brian was the ripoff). Screw Groening and screw anyone that insists The Simpsons are still comedic genius.

Admittedly, I only made it to 57 before I got aggravated and jumped to the last three, so I don't know how many of the shows on the full list I would've put on my top 100. Of the ones I saw though. . . Probably about five or six. :P
Family Guy IS a Simpsons-ripoff.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Morkulv wrote:
Terastas wrote:Somehow I knew the Simpsons would be #1, and yet it still absolutely pissed me off when they finally got to it. The Simpsons were pretty good for a while, but they've sinced reached a point where I think Matt Groening is only doing one of two things: Producing absolute crap and laughing at how everyone still calls it gold, or ripping off Family Guy and laughing at how everyone insists that Family Guy is ripping off him (seriously, Santa's Little Helper could walk out on his hind legs and ask who's leg he has to hump to get a dry martini and people would still insist that Brian was the ripoff). Screw Groening and screw anyone that insists The Simpsons are still comedic genius.

Family Guy IS a Simpsons-ripoff.
That's what I'm talking about!

Family Guy has the same family structure as the Simpsons, is an animated sitcom like the Simpsons, and the central character is a mentally defective father figure like in the Simpsons. . . But the similarities end there! At least they did until 2007, when the Simspons stopped being strangely witty and became more stupid and random just like Family Guy. Like I said, no matter how blatantly Groening rips off MacFarlane, someone will say that it was MacFarlane that did the ripping off.

It's kind of like how Disney released The Wild more than a year after Dreamworks released Madagascar, people still insisted that Dreamworks had actually done the ripping-off. It's because Disney has been the animation leader for damn near fifty years, so now so many people can't fathom the idea that Disney might have a creativity shortage. Same thing with Matt Groening. The Simspons is in it's 19th season, the longest running cartoon in history, and for the first ten years he'd been in business, his only real competition for the title of best animated sitcom was with Mike Judge's Beavis & Butthead. So many people can't fathom the idea of Groening being anything less than a comedic genius either.

The Simspons were good for a very long time, but then Family Guy came along and suddenly all Groening and the rest of the Simpsons staff wanted to do was piss and moan. Yeah, that's right Groening, now you have to start trying to be funny again!

Just so we're clear though, neither the Simpsons or Family Guy would be my #1, and both of them would be at the top of my list. Family Guy, however, is the better cartoon. If it wasn't, Groening wouldn't have used the Simpsons to take as many stabs at it as he has, and FOX wouldn't have aired it for more than one season in the first place.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

In the past, back when the Simpsons were gold, 99% of their material was making fun of their own characters, whereas in Family Guy, everything is fair game, especially the most sensitive of subjects like.

The Simpsons, for example, took plenty of pokes at Christianity, but for the longest time, it was only at the Christians themselves, namely Ned Flanders and Reverend Lovejoy. With the exception of a few Halloween specials, God etc. had only previously made one appearance in the Simpsons and one episode of Futurama, and in both incarnations, they were depicted as being wise and understanding even in the presence of Homer's and/or Bender's irreverent stupidity. Family Guy, on the other hand, had an appearance by Jesus in the very first episode.

Then suddenly, after nineteen seasons, the Simpsons saw a large influx in the number of random Jesus jokes.

Also, in the past, the Simpsons never really had a buildup to the large gags. They were a classic sitcom in that there was a small chuckle once every five to ten seconds which would build up to a big gag instead of one great big build-up, and the great majority of their humor was verbal. Family Guy, on the other hand, has a much more nihilistic approach which could only accurately be described as a brilliant combination of irreverence and random stupidity (they cut away to a short skit every time someone says "that's like. . ."). Family Guy gets half of its humor from its short skits and its montages.

Then suddenly, after nineteen seasons, the Simpsons started including short skits and montages.

I don't know if Matt Groening is trying to convince people that Family Guy is ripping off the Simpsons by making the Simpsons more like Family Guy, or if he's just making the Simpsons more awful and more blatantly ripped off to see if someone finally will call him on it. Either way, he's taking one of the greatest programs of all time and driving it headfirst into the ground. Had Groening quit a year or two ago, the Simpsons could have been my #1, but since then he's absolutely ruined it.

Back to the full list. . . Well, some 70-odd of them I wouldn't have put on the list, but at the same time, I can only think of seven that definitely should have been on the list but were not. They are:

Cowboy Bebop
G.I. Joe
Gargoyles
Ghost in the Shell
SNL's TV Funhouse
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

And, well, as big a fan as I am of Oliver & Company, Bucky O'Hare and the Samurai Pizza Cats, I wouldn't expect too many people to agree with me on them being in the Top 100. Still, they should have crossed over those cartoons before they got to Charley Says, Roobarb and/or Legend of the Overfiend. :P What the crap. . .
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

spongypants23 wrote: It's good, I agree with that, but its not that good. I don't know what I would have picked as the number one cartoon, but not that... Oh well.
Well think about it. Its not the best cartoon ever...I think they mean the most watched cartoon ever. Most widely enjoyed...not neccesarily your favorite. We all watch the Simpsons. We dont all watch South Park or PowerPuff Girls. Thats what I got from it anyway. :|
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

MoonKit wrote:
spongypants23 wrote: It's good, I agree with that, but its not that good. I don't know what I would have picked as the number one cartoon, but not that... Oh well.
Well think about it. Its not the best cartoon ever...I think they mean the most watched cartoon ever. Most widely enjoyed...not neccesarily your favorite. We all watch the Simpsons. We dont all watch South Park or PowerPuff Girls. Thats what I got from it anyway. :|
It would have been more accurately titled "100 most popular cartoons" since it was based on a vote, but they called it "the 100 greatest cartoons," so that's why there's so much complaining. I know the Simpsons would beat Family Guy in any vote because it's perfectly OK for devoted Family Guy fans to watch the Simpsons, but not devoted Simpsons fans to watch Family Guy. Kind of like how Harry Potter fans can like Lord of the Rings but not always the reverse, or how Digimon fans can like Pokemon but not always the reverse. In a vote, the more anal fan base wins.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Point is, family Guy would not be able to get away with anyhting, if the Simpsons hadn't come along and broken the mold. Up till then, there were no adult-themed cartoons on American Television..much less any animated characters saying "hell" or "crap" People freaked out when they heard they Simpsons doing what was...in retrospect, pretty mild. Now family Guy just goes full bore, but if the Simpsons hadnt started it, FG would be much more censored.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

That still doesn't really justify everything Groening's done to spite MacFarlane. It's kind of like applauding Groening for successfully pushing the boundaries, but now nobody else is allowed to push the boundaries any further than where Groening set them.

Also, one more cartoon I forgot about that can't be left off of any list of 100 great cartoons: The Secret of Nimh.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Terastas wrote:That still doesn't really justify everything Groening's done to spite MacFarlane. It's kind of like applauding Groening for successfully pushing the boundaries, but now nobody else is allowed to push the boundaries any further than where Groening set them.

Also, one more cartoon I forgot about that can't be left off of any list of 100 great cartoons: The Secret of Nimh.
I may be blasphemous for this, but I liked the book better.
XIV
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Well, the last Fg I saw really really ripped the Simpsons, more so than any playful jibe from groening. Still it's harmless back and forth. McFarlane has always sdaid he and groening are friends and all they're doing is playful "banter"

I like both shows, for different reasons. Simpsons is smart and funny. FG just sometimes makes me piss myself with laughter. And of course, I WORKED ON BOTH SHOWS, so i'm a bit partial to them ^-^
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

God I wish someone would come to their senses and just make this movie already!! :supermad:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
John Wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Timber Wolf
Mood: Happy

Post by John Wolf »

The three best cartoon shows are in my opinion.

1. Captain Planet

2. White Fang

3. Insektors

:)
Free Scotland/Ireland From English Tyranny 2009

Change Favours The Prepared Mind
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Shadow Wulf wrote:God I wish someone would come to their senses and just make this movie already!!
Which one?

Also, am I the only one that thinks they should have mentioned the Spiderman cartoon from the 90s instead of the original?
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

that was typed in the wrong forum. I do that sometimes. :(
Image Image
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Well made show. They had a lot of good stuff on there.

But their was way too many obscure British cartoon shows on the list. Also some mediocre American cartoon shows. I loved My Little Ponies(not on the list btw, nor Care Bears or Rainbow Brite*gasp!*), but I wouldn't go so far to say its one of the finest pieces of animation ever. That's what a lot of these people are doing, putting in a show they loved as kids on the list. Also each Loony Toon character got their own spot? Just put them all together as 'Looney Toons'. :|
They couldof fitted a lot more quality shows/movies on their then. (Secret of NIMH, Plague Dogs, Gargoyles, Avatar, Venture Brothers, ect.) This only had American/British stuff too. Only two Miyazki movies and Akira? That aint right.
And I agree that The Simpsons should not of been that high on the list. *shakes head*

I love old school Simpsons(not the last 5-6 seasons or so) and I really like Family Guy too. Family Guy is more of a hyper, I-got-ADD-show, but its still all good :D

John Wolf- Do you know where I can find White Fang at? I've been wanting to see that, and Call of the Wild, for a whiles now :)
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Silverclaw wrote:Well made show. They had a lot of good stuff on there.

But their was way too many obscure British cartoon shows on the list.
That was one of my major gripes with it too. According to the Wiki article, the station "nominated" 105 cartoons and aired the top 100. That's practically a guarantee that all the poorly-animated British crap they wanted would be included.
Also each Loony Toon character got their own spot? Just put them all together as 'Looney Toons'.
They had "Looney Toons" as a whole in their own individual slot too. It was basically a great big waste of space.

BTW, remember what I said about neither The Simpsons nor Family Guy being my #1? Looney Toons as a whole would have been my #1.
Only two Miyazki movies and Akira? That aint right.
And Pokemon, and Legend of the Overfiend. :p The former I understand perfectly as it was a worldwide phenomenon when it began and still is very much to this day, but the latter is an insult to anime as a whole. Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell definitely should have been on that list, and had they been included, I have no doubt that Lupin III, One Piece, Evangelion, Hellsing, InuYasha and (as much as I despise it) Dragonball would have been on the list as well.
Last edited by Terastas on Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Terastas wrote:
Only two Miyazki movies and Akira? That aint right.
And Pokemon, and Legend of the Overfiend. :p The former I understand perfectly as it was a worldwide phenomenon when it began and still is very much to this day, but the latter is an insult to anime as a whole. Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell definitely should have been on that list, and had they been included, I have no doubt that Lupin III, One Piece, Evangelion, Hellsing, InuYasha and (as much as I despise it) Dragonball would have been on the list as well.
Yeah, no respect for the Japanese at all.[/quote]

Aww, you don't like the tentacle rape? :P

Well, neither do I. Why the f*** would they nominate that anyway?
XIV
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Dreamer wrote:Well, neither do I. Why the f*** would they nominate that anyway?
Despite its growing popularity, a lot of people are still under the misconception that anime is all about tentacle rape. Really, to this day my brother tells all his friends that I fantasize about catgirls tailfucking each other, and his only proof is that I have Cowboy Bebop on DVD. :P

That's probably how LotO got there: Some douchebag told all the other bigwigs that they can't mention anime without mentioning nasty tentacle rape, and all the other anti-anime douchebags decided five anime nominations were already too many and cut a lot of the good ones.

And it made the list, of course, because they only nominated 105. If we all pooled our votes together, we probably could have pushed Pink Panther from 99 to 69 with just the Pack support alone.

Regarding British animation, Joel Stein summed it up best right at #100. The British toons ranked right up there with all of the old American vintage crap. :D