Donate your flesh

The place for anything at all...
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Possessed by the Ghost of Cumulus

Donate your flesh

Post by cumulusprotagonist »

Speaking of the bizzare, they need to research advanced methods of healing or self regeneration. Advanced enough so you would not have to kill to get your food.
Maybe I am wrong...

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!!!

Photography by ___________
Photo Manipulation by Z
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Post by Ink »

Where's the fun in that?
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary

Ink wrote:Where's the fun in that?
I do not know about fun but I think it is funny to imagine a predator chasing after their meal taking chunks out it as it grows back.
Maybe I am wrong...

Photo Manipulation by Z
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Post by Ink »

There'd be no chasing after awhile... just a sea of squirming bodies and poo creating a larger garbage heap of compounding regenerating flesh. It sounds like some bizarre H.P. Lovecraft style hell. Carbon based lifeforms never dying, continuing to reproduce and generate themselves into a massive blob to coat the planet in...

Sounds like a book-deal waiting. You should hit that...

:wink:

Edit: Question - what happens when something eats something else whole?
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Re: Donate your flesh

Post by MoonKit »

cumulusprotagonist wrote:Advanced enough so you would not have to kill to get your food.
That sounds like something some PETA loving vegetarian would hope for. :P

But then again, if humans somehow harnessed this power, I assume they wouldnt be thinking about using it on animals but themselves.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary

It would slowly digest to death until the rate of regeneration could no longer keep up with the digestion. Alive, it would be slowly dissolved alive...

This is in reponse to Ink's question.
Last edited by cumulusprotagonist on Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe I am wrong...

Photo Manipulation by Z
Ink
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ink »

That's... horrific.

I'm telling you... book deal.

:D
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Actually, a being from the future, in which all food is generated artificially and nothing ever has to die might be horrified at the thought of eating something that was once alive.

Not to mention, those who value life above everything else should be compelled ethically to avoid having to kill as much as possible; a system of synthetic food in place of once-living organisms solves a problem that doesn't exist yet but probably will when the social and technological ethics reach a certain threshold--how to eliminate killing. In some conceivable timelines, those of us who enjoy eating things that had to die would look pretty monstrous. Even me, with my highly selective pickiness about how my food died beforehand, leading to virtual vegitarianism, could look downright uncivilized and monstrous.

Synthetic food does not have to look like Lovecraftian monsters. It could also just look like indeterminate masses of strange-looking material that bears no resemblance to anything in nature. Come to think of it, hamburgers, French fries, and "chicken" McNuggets fit that description today. So, just think of it as the food you're already eating, minus any remaining hint of connection with the natural world.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

If I couldn't have a big juicy burgewr every now and then I would KILL anyway
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

cumulusprotagonist wrote:Speaking of the bizzare, they need to research advanced methods of healing or self regeneration. Advanced enough so you would not have to kill to get your food.
Already exists. It's called a Plant. It absorbs light and feeds itself that way. Downside is: you have to stay in one place all your life.

And: Who are "They"?
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Ink
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ink »

MattSullivan wrote:If I couldn't have a big juicy burgewr every now and then I would KILL anyway
Amen to that statement!
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MoonKit »

RedEye wrote:
cumulusprotagonist wrote:Speaking of the bizzare, they need to research advanced methods of healing or self regeneration. Advanced enough so you would not have to kill to get your food.
Already exists. It's called a Plant. It absorbs light and feeds itself that way. Downside is: you have to stay in one place all your life.

Well now, plants are alive too arent they?
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

MoonKit wrote:
RedEye wrote:

Yes, but CumulousP. spoke to "not having to kill to get your food". Photons aren't alive: they're the energy source that plants use to make their food-without killing! This excludes "Carnivorous Plants" who kill to get nutrients that are missing in the soil they're in.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MoonKit »

RedEye wrote:
MoonKit wrote:
RedEye wrote:

Yes, but CumulousP. spoke to "not having to kill to get your food". Photons aren't alive: they're the energy source that plants use to make their food-without killing! This excludes "Carnivorous Plants" who kill to get nutrients that are missing in the soil they're in.
Oh! Sorry. I thought you were suggesting that we eat plants. But you meant that plants dont kill. Gotcha. :D
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

RedEye wrote:

Wouldn't it be theoretically be possible for a species to be able to move aroudn and photosynthesize if they only had the chloroplasts causing the photosynthesis without the movement-restricting cell wall?
XIV
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MoonKit »

Dreamer wrote:
Wouldn't it be theoretically be possible for a species to be able to move aroudn and photosynthesize if they only had the chloroplasts causing the photosynthesis without the movement-restricting cell wall?
I think I just found my technological invention that I cant wait for! That would be incredible!