30 Days of Night

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

30 Days of Night

Post by Figarou »

Scary and gory vampire movie.

http://www.30daysofnight.com/
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

Looks more interesting than most vampire movies lately. At least it is not one of the 'woe is me, I am a handsome, seductive person with cool powers' rehashes of Anne Rice :P
nekocj
Legendary
Legendary

Post by nekocj »

Yeah I'm excited about this movie! I think the idea of using Alaska with the whole night lasts a month thing is an awesome idea! Look at Frostbitten too it looks pretty cool

-Neko
NightSlash
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightSlash »

I'm so frickin' excited for this movie. I love the graphic novels and even though I'm annoyed with some minor changes to the graphic novel, it still looks like a faithful adaptation and all the reviews I've read for it are saying how amazing it is, and I've even heard someone say it was the best vampire movie in 10 years easily. Plus all the actors look top notch, and I love the ideas of these vampires. No more broody goth rockstars, or Lost Boys types.

Though I've actually read a few reviews that said these vampires have more in common with werewolves. This is from a review I read that can be found at Dread Central.
The vampires of 30 Days of Night are not like Rice's dandifying charmers, full of introspection, charm, and androgynously limp beauty; instead these are savage broken toothed killers who'll rip your head off and chuck it at your sister. These are gibbering madmen, full of nothing but the evil urge to kill, maim, and feed. They are so sunken into their dark insanity of being that most of them have seemingly lost the ability to speak and communicate with only so many animalistic screeches, gibbers, and screams.

This type of monster is so out of the mold of the modern take on vampires that it is fair to call them more of a werewolf archetype than a vampire. Vampires, on the whole, are creatures with the power of seduction; while werewolves are monsters of rage. These particular vampires have rage aplenty and are so good at killing that they've no need, at all, to seduce anything. They are filthy, ugly things, and they don't care if you like them; they only care if you're dead.
I also read about that somewhere else, where they said the vampires were more like a pack of rabid wolves, and based on the trailer and what I've seen of them in clips and pictures, they do have that vibe, and I like that.

A little over two weeks left. Can't wait. :D
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Well, like I said in the Vampire Movies thread, I think this is just another waste of a good idea.

Savage vampires? Isn't that just a fancy way of saying "zombies?" Really, if the vampires in this movie seldom ever demonstrate a coherent thought, just call it what it is: a zombie flick.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Just saw a TV spot. They didn't seem to be completely stupid. If I remember correctly, they spoke and were trying to trick people.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
NightSlash
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightSlash »

New clip from the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUr0IwxCJMk

I like that they have their own language, though from what I've read he's the only vampire who really talks.

In the graphic novels the vampires did talk a good lot, and Marlow (the lead vampire) was almost like a street gang leader with a mean streak the size of New York, on top of being a vampire. But what they did with the movie was combine aspects of Marlow with another character from the graphic novel, but I'm not going to go into details for the people who haven't read the novels but intend to.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Just wiki-ed it, and if it's really true to the graphic novel. . . Well, I still think it won't be anything special. According to Wikipedia, in the graphic novel, the vampires terrorizing Barrow are a sort of splinter group that a vampire elder personally hunts down in order to preserve the secret of the existence of vampires. That's the sort of thing we here at the Pack have been talking about so often: the need for anonymity. That certainly beast the "fancy term for a zombie" thing I was worried about.

Unfortunately, it also mentions that the protagonist becomes a vampire so he can fight them. . .

. . . .

. . . .

. . . .

CLICHE!!!!!!!!
:P
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Just saw a preview for it like 10mins ago..I got mad.. :x Too many damn vampire flicks..ugh :sickpup:
NightSlash
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightSlash »

Teh_DarkJokerWolf wrote:Just saw a preview for it like 10mins ago..I got mad.. :x Too many damn vampire flicks..ugh :sickpup:
Then you might wanna prepare yourself because next year Lions Gate is putting out Daybreakers.

Normally I'm not big on vampire movies either, but for this one I'm making an exception.
chubhound
Legendary
Legendary

Post by chubhound »

Well, I just saw it last night & I gotta say, I really enjoyed it. Definately a very bloody movie. As for there being too many Vampire movies (as opposed, I would imagine, to Werewolf movies), I'd say thats just because, I assume, Vampire flicks would be cheaper. Just take a regular actor, "pale" him up a bit with some makeup, add some fangs & maybe some freaky contact lenses and "Presto!!", instant Vampire. Especially if they take the "science/viral" route (which I LOATHE!!!!), and say vampires are just people with a really bad cold or something. That saves them from having to add any of the cool stuff like flight or turning into fog or shapeshifting. To do a decent Werewolf (at least a Werewolf that those of us here won't blast like some G-1 Transformers fan going off on Bumblebee turning into a Camaro), you're gonna need a bit more cash to pull off. And to do a COOL Werewolf....well, you get the picture.
Life is too serious to be taken too seriously
wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: booooooooooored.....

Post by wolf4life »

argh...

that movie was kind of dumb...

where did these like vampires come from? They just kind of get off the vampire bus, get lost, and wined up in a town where it just happens to be the first day of night.

And hello...did you really need little girl vampire? Spray stuff i her face and she is messed but take a bullet to her arm and shes still coming?

Ehh....I wouldnt give it a 4.....maybe a 3....
"Es gibt nix, was es nicht gibt", translated "There's nothing which can't exist."

"Choose a good path....because you only get to choose once"-Wolf4life

"TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!"-Gir
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

....I liked the movie though....
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
chubhound
Legendary
Legendary

Post by chubhound »

[quote="wolf4life"]where did these like vampires come from? They just kind of get off the vampire bus, get lost, and wined up in a town where it just happens to be the first day of night.[quote]

Well, from what I gathered in the movie and from the comics, the vampires (or at least one of them) knew about the town & what happens there every year and managed to convince the rest to head there. Even the head vampire says something along the lines of "We should have come here ages ago".
Life is too serious to be taken too seriously
NightSlash
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightSlash »

Man, my review for this was delayed. :lol:

But I've seen it 3 times in the theater and I have to say I loved it. A great vampire movie, and a nice film that came out for the Halloween season to distract from the tired formula of the Saw movies. The acting was solid all around, with Danny Huston and Ben Foster being the best in my books, though Josh Hartnett and Melissa George were good as well.

Special mentioning to Megan Franich and Andrew Stehlin as the vampires Iris and Arvin. Great physical acting from those two.

The vampires themselves, I loved. They weren't seductive and romantic, they were savage, blood thirsty beasts. And in a way I'd compare them to werewolves, in the sense that there was an obvious pack structure there, with Marlow being the Alpha male. And when they fed, man was it bloody. The gore was plentiful, and that overhead shot of the town during the attack was amazing to look at. Unfortunately the rest of the attack scenes were screwed up with shaky-cam. When will the shaky-cam end? -_-

But anyway over all I'd give it an 8 out of 10.
John Wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Timber Wolf
Mood: Happy

Post by John Wolf »

I'm trying to sort out some money, then I can watch this movie next weekend at the cinema. :P
Free Scotland/Ireland From English Tyranny 2009

Change Favours The Prepared Mind
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Best vampire movie in ten years, in my opinion.