Thanksgiving Day! (2007)

The place for anything at all...
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

I just finished baking the bread.

Most of my friends are out of town, sick, or doing something else so I'm cooking for one (myself). Though I'm going over to one friend's house later today to hang out until she goes to where she's going, her future in-laws.

No, she didn't invite me along but that's okay. Her mate has a sister that I positively despise and I'd rather have my Thanksgiving solo than give my friend trouble by snarling. 'Sides, it just means I can cook Thanksgiving dinner exactly the way I want and not have to dodge anyone's allergies or ingredient intolerances :wink: And we're having a "friends-get-together" on Friday, so that works too. Thanksgiving twice.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

...What is this "Thanksgiving" you speak of?
KittyRose
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Spotted Feline Writer

Post by KittyRose »

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
*gobble, gobble, gobble*

This year, my family and I are going to my cousin's house for dinner. It's her first time hosting the dinner (my mom usually does it), so it's going to be different this year.
Plus I get to see my boyfriend which is so exciting. School's been keeping both of us really busy and didn't have time to hang the past week. I can't wait to see him :D
DeviantART
Meez

:wolfpaint: Avatar created by Z
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Hmm..my family doesn't do Holidays due to their religion..
Thats weird...what sortof religion doesnt want people to have a Thanksgiving Day? ??
Not like its National Devil Worship Day or something :wink:

btw: Happy Thanksgiving! :spiritwolf: (hmm..no pilgram wolf?)
:howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo
Eat well :wink:
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Teh_DarkJokerWolf wrote:Hmm..my family doesn't do Holidays due to their religion..All my friends live in other states an not here which sux so it's just going to be another day at home doing nothing but my usual. Browsing DA an the Pack, drawing an posting art..chyea :P
Ahh, I bet your family are Jehovah Witnesses aren't they. Yeah they dont believe in celebrating anything including birthdays.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

Some religions don't have Thanksgiving as an observed day. Remember, it was started by the New England Separatists (not the Pilgrims in Virginia).

I suspect that Native Americans view Thanksgiving as a day of mourning.
After all; that's when the invaders really decided to stay, and started raiding American villages for supplies. :roll:

I just call it Turkey Day, and stuff myself into a stupor. :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

native Americans can kiss my a**. They're sore losers who refuse to modernize. If they wanna see this as a day of mourning, let them. It ain't gonna stop me from enjoying Thanksgiving ( I'm part cree and Cherokee indian , so don't anyone accuse me of racism )
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Possessed by the Ghost of Cumulus

Post by cumulusprotagonist »

I accuse you of turning Red Eye's statement into a generalization.

Remember that certian individuals killed off the majority of the Native Americans. Besides why would they mourn one of the few days the colonists were actually nice to them?

Thanksgiving celebrates one of the few days that people were not being brainwashed and intimidated into commiting haneous crimes agaisnt humanity or were not fighting due to the consequences of those actions.

In other wordes Thanksgiving celebrates the fact that people CAN get along and share. The events that occured before and after that day are irrelevant. Not that they should be forgotten but that they should not be addressed today.
Maybe I am wrong...

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!!!

Photography by ___________
Photo Manipulation by Z
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

Relax, Cumulus; That's just Matt being Matt. Actually, according to the history books; the Separatists didn't celebrate Thanksgiving on the day we do: that's a modernization of the holiday. What they celebrated was "Harvest Home", which they called "Thanks-Giving", much earlier in November; after getting in the Harvest of the "corns" (which included wheat and rye as well as the stuff we call corn) and the slaughter of the animals for their winter food. The meat was preserved by salting and smoking.
The Log cabins weren't there, either; they were living in "wattle and daub" huts for the first year. The Thanksgiving WE celebrate happened the second year of their life in the "new world".
Much of what we "Commonly Know" of early America was fabricated by Parson Israel Weems in the early eighteen-hundreds, for a line of school books he was selling. He felt that the actual history wasn't "enlightening and morally uplifting" enough for children, so he "helped" history along, making up stories of what "should" have happened.
He did the same for George Washington: the "Cherry-Tree" story and "I cannot tell a lie" are his inventions, as is the story of G.W. tossing a dollar across the Delaware river.
Thus is the power of Legend... :wink:

Enjoy your Turkey. :D You, too Matt: Happy Thanksgiving. :D
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Pariah, I look forward to seeing your COSTUME ^-^
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Harvest Home is an old Pagan tradition, but it's usually celebrated starting on Lughnasa, or August 1. This is a little late to be observing the holiday.

Personally, I don't leave my "Thanks!" -giving for one day a year. I do it all the time whenever I sit down to eat. But hey, a holiday for foodies? 'Tis acceptable :)

What might be interesting to observe on the day in question, was the Croatan taking in the people of the Lost Roanoake Colony. It probably happened around this time of year and is very in keeping with the holiday's ethic. "Those poor people are starving, they'll never make it through the winter — here, let's take 'em in." That sounds like Thanksgiving to me.

When the pilgrims came over here, they desired peaceful coexistence and that was exactly what happened for awhile. The Croatan event points to that. It wasn't like the pilgrims stormed the beach and came ashore, muskets blazing, sometime back in the 1600s. The situation was screwed up by intolerant, sociopathic dillholes on both sides, like it always is. But let's not go into that here.

I'm one-eighth Iroquois and Shawnee and frankly, I think Thanksgiving is great. A national day of being social. Good idea.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
Ceekur
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ceekur »

Happy Thanksgiving, Packmates. :D

I just spent the day with my family and ate some turkey. Maybe a little uneventful, but that can be a good thing. We did get a bit of a headstart on next month and put up a few Christmas decorations indoors though.
' They have come to take my life...
Let us settle this 300 year-old war once and for all...
Who shall live...? Who shall die...? ' ~ Moonlight Symphony - Vampire Night

Anónimo Juan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anónimo Juan »

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! :D

We don't celebrate it in Mexico, as it is a national holiday of USA, but, it's always good to give thanks for what you got.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

I played Twilight Princess (this is a must buy game for all Wii or Gamecube owners, though take note that the Wii version is a completely mirrored version of the Gamecube version - for whatever reason, it's entirely opposite, even down to Link being right-handed, which confused me until I heard about the mirroring) all day and at the end of the day had a Thanksgiving-style ham dinner at a restaurant on the river. Tomorrow will be the main Thanksgiving family/food thing for me.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

I'm about halfway through my Christmas shopping. I only have four or five people to buy for at any given year, and I'm good at budgeting. I usually spend the holiday season cooking and socializing.

Sure, Christmas can be an anti-consumerist's nightmare or a rampant consumer's wet dream, but for most people it's a great chance to reconnect with one's various circles and a nice way to end out the year if you're savvy. I can't stand crowds so I tend to pick gifts that aren't found in the malls, avoiding the rush and tumble. I also spend a couple months ahead of time picking out and sourcing gifts. So when Black Friday hits, I'm either done or nearly done.