G.I. Joe

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

G.I. Joe

Post by Terastas »

With all the crappy remakes they've been making, you had to know they'd get around to this eventually.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071220/film_nm/gijoe_dc

Part of me is excited. G.I. Joe was one of those few cartoons from the 80s that I believe could be effectively remade in live action with a 21st century standpoint, and I have no doubt that Ray Park (Darth Maul) will make a great Snake Eyes.

On the other hand, I can't picture Sienna Miller playing the Baroness for the life of me, and I'm hoping, but doubting, that Stephen Sommers will do a better job directing this than he did The Mummy. :P

Thoughts anyone?
Templar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: No Title

Post by Templar »

Stephen Sommers?? Aw jeez.....

On the much brigter side, I get ta see Ray Park, one of the most talented and underrated stunt artists in Hollywood, play my favorite GI Joe, in yet another role where he doesn't say a word (Star Wars, Sleepy Hollow, most of X-Men, I'm seeing a trend here...)

If Sommers screws up Cobra Commander, I garuantee there will be a trail of broken balls leading from Texas to Hollywood....
Sure, I could have stayed, could have even been king. But in my own way...I am King. (grabs girl) Hail to the king, baby!
-Ash
www.knight-templar.deviantart.com
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

on that note lets remember all those G.I. Joe important messages
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_t ... r=1&page=1
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

From what I read, I heard that they're putting Destro as the leader of Cobra. Now that is not right.
XIV
Templar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: No Title

Post by Templar »

The.Entire.Frickin'.World.Better.Pray.That.Rumor.Is.Wrong......... :x
Sure, I could have stayed, could have even been king. But in my own way...I am King. (grabs girl) Hail to the king, baby!
-Ash
www.knight-templar.deviantart.com
Zombie
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ribbed For Her Pleasure

Post by Zombie »

It could be worse....

It could have been directed by....

UWE BOLL!!!!
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

-Z
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Dreamer wrote:From what I read, I heard that they're putting Destro as the leader of Cobra. Now that is not right.
Bwat-what?! Sure, he's cool, but no, NO, NO, say it aint' so!

I hope that's just a misconception based on the fact that Destro is the primary villain. That was kind of the way it was in the original animated series: He was an arms dealer and Cobra Commander was one of his best clients. They often had it implied in the animated series that Destro was the greater villain -- while Cobra lost everything, Destro always managed to escape, and since all he wanted was to sell arms, even when G.I. Joe won, he won. If they wanted to include Cobra Commander as a determined but unqualified leader and have Destro as the shady businessman backing him, that might be pretty cool. But making him the leader of Cobra and giving C.C. the ax altogether would be wa-a-a-a-a-ay too much creative license.

I'm hoping it's just a misunderstanding, but. . . Ah well. You know, even if it is, I'll probably just go to see Ray Park kick some arse. Even Uwe Boll (*shudders*) couldn't possibly screw that up.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Bad guys always parachuting out at the last second

Post by Scott Gardener »

What!?! Destro in charge? I was bugged enough about having that newfangled Serpentor-takes-over bit in the cartoon. (Yeah, pro wrestler Sargent Slaughter is a great substitute for Master Sun Tsu, one of history's most brilliant strategic philosophers. No one will notice. While we're at it, let's put Pee Wee Herman in place of the Dali Lama.)

The Cobra Commander was such a great character in the series. He had the same voice as the guy who did Starscream in The Transformers, which was part of the kitchiness of the series. I loved his scratchy, wailing voice, raving and scheming. One of the best lines ever would have to be, as he hurled a chair onto a computer console, "Now I must do the one thing that I despise most of all... I must wait!"

I also liked the sheer anonymity of him. He didn't have a name; he was just "the Cobra Commander." You never saw his face. You just guessed that he was human; you weren't sure. So many of the Cobra minions were that way, too, but having the guy in charge that way--well, so he was borrowing from Darth Vader, but it wasn't stealing. It was a tribute.

In this day and age, with military operations bringing lots of attention and controversy, coupled with all our anxieties about terrorism, I'm surprised it's taken this long for the show to get a movie remake.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Bad guys always parachuting out at the last second

Post by Terastas »

Scott Gardener wrote:The Cobra Commander was such a great character in the series. He had the same voice as the guy who did Starscream in The Transformers, which was part of the kitchiness of the series. I loved his scratchy, wailing voice, raving and scheming. One of the best lines ever would have to be, as he hurled a chair onto a computer console, "Now I must do the one thing that I despise most of all... I must wait!"
My favorite C.C. moment of all time was, at the end of (I think) the first episode, after the Joes had taken over the Cobra compound and were leading the Cobra troops out of the base single file, Cobra Commander was at the end of the line wrapped in a towel with a wastebasket over his head. :grinp:

The only villain I could think of from a daytime cartoon that was cooler than Destro was Xanatos from Gargoyles. What made him such a good villain was that, at the end of every episode, no matter what happened, Xanatos would have a brief discussion with Fox or Owen about how everything that happened was more or less what he was hoping for and that he would profit in the end. Destro was a great villain for the same reason; no matter what happened, he won. But, it's because he had no investment in Cobra's terrorist ambitions that he always won in the end, so you can't have Destro without Cobra Commander.
Damn I hope it was a misunderstanding. :P
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

I thought Destro was a great villain. But, part of what made him such a great character was that he was second in command, when it was so apparent that he should have been the leader. That created great character tension. Actually making him the leader, with or without a Cobra Commander, would undermine that aspect. The Baroness had sex appeal and a great accent, but I hope that they don't hinge too much of her character on that alone in the movie, as she had so much personality and character going for her in the TV series.

Maybe it's just selective memory; I've found that when I go back and look at cartoons that I remembered being so great as a kid, sometimes I discover that they turn out to have been crude and cheesy. But again, let's cater to what we remember, because the Joe I thought I saw was a great series thats overdue a movie version. It's got military stuff, sci-fi elements, and lots of things blowing up with special effects. Come on; why isn't this already a movie? Oh. It is.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Well, I may have made a mistake in my information. I checked on Wikipedia, and it turns out that CC will play a role in the movie, sort of a puppet-master (I'm guessing like Emperor Palpatine, which would be awesome) type role if Wikipedia is to be beleived. To be honest, I think that in this movie, Cobra Commander should be kind of a fusion between hsi grandiose character in the TV show, and the character who was portrayed as an actual threat in the comics (Oh why, oh why didn't they get Larry Hama to write the script for this film).
XIV
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Getting back our YoJo

Post by Scott Gardener »

OK, then. That's more like it!
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Puppet Master, eh? I'm glad they didn't edit him out or fuse him with Destro, but I hope that doesn't mean they're switching their respective roles. Destro did often oversee Cobra operations (I'm assuming because C.C. was such a good customer), but it just wouldn't make sense to have Cobra Commander be the shadowy warmonger supporting all the Cobra attacks. Going on the Palpatine theme, that would be kind of like having him introduce himself as Senator Darth Sidius right off the bat. For someone to be a shadowy puppet master, he can't have any direct connections like that.