Golden Compass- Soon at a cinema near you

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
fredriksam
Legendary
Legendary

Golden Compass- Soon at a cinema near you

Post by fredriksam »

Oh what a funny werewolf i am. come joining the eating party...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

So, did anyone see it? If so, how was it?

The Pack was down during that whole "it's blasphemy!" phase, so lets just skip over that.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

It was AWESOME!! :o

My goodness, the part with the bear fight. Oh! :lol:

Anyway, it made me and my mate read the books...Im on the last one.

They're planning on making the second movie too.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
RedWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by RedWolf »

Given that "The Golden Compass" hasn't been successful at the box office, the odds of "The Subtle Knife" becoming a film aren't too good.

If you like ursine themes, according to http://slashdot.org/articles/07/12/18/1641234.shtml, two movies based on "The Hobbit" are now scheduled to be produced. I suspect the second one will feature Beorn, a werebear warrior.
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Spongy »

I saw it, and it was really good :D
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I went and saw it on its opening day(for my B-Day) :D
I really enjoyed it as well. I've read a lot of negative reviews before seeing it, so that made my expectations go down a bit. But I thought it was pretty well done. Love the daemons :D Wish I had one.
My favorite part involved the ice bears. The fight scene was very cool 8)

Just didnt like how all the bad guys at the end all had wolf daemons :|
And knowing that the last 2 or 3 chapters were cut out to make a happier ending.

Hope the second one gets made into a movie as well. Until then, I'll be reading the books :wink: :D
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

It was alright. It would have been better if it didn't feel so compressed, though.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

I saw it opening day, too. There were about 50 people in the theatre, most of whom seemed to be there out of a "Shut up Catholic League, and let me see for myself!" intent. <i>Very</i> Eugenian.

My impression: It was good, but I could definitely tell it had been...ahhhhmm, edited. Were I a conspiracy theorist, I'd say "censored."

I know we agreed to stay away from the "anti-Church" angle but I want to touch briefly and tangentially on it. The Magisterium could easily be a comment on The Illuminati. The only Church similarities I noted was that the hierarchy was all male and they wore ceremonial robes. But that's also true of the Scholars. So I read it more as "Rationalism vs. Sense of Wonder" than as "Church vs. Atheism."

Yes, I know the author is atheist. Bully for him. The Catholic League calling for boycott against this was like the New Agers calling for a boycott against <i>The Serpent & the Rainbow</i> because there was an evil voudoun priest in it.

Bottom line: The cast were calling for a director's cut for the DVD release and that is my hope, as well.
fredriksam
Legendary
Legendary

Post by fredriksam »

I saw it the opening day (7 th December) and i really enjoyed it. I Really like that bear, Iorek. He is so Cool!!!!!. He saved the movie big time. The bear fight was just totally awesome and many in the public cheered and clapped their hands, and this was in Sweden.

The movie public here almost never clap their hands or cheer so you could say it really was something special. However the end credits song with Kate Bush was so annoying that the people almost run out out the saloon. Why did she had to sing such a crappy song? Arrrgh.... ?? ?? ??

I saw the movie together with a friend. There was a very special scene that make my friend laugh very loud. It was a scene when Iorek asked Lyra "You wish to ride ME? We travel faster without armor". Then when we saw the bear running and Lyra on top he just collapsed in EVEN louder laughter.

After the movie he said the bear was saying something very "sexual" right there. Also he said that Lyra rocked forth and back in a certain way. :? :? I must say i would never think such dirty minded thoughts about Iorek or this movie. But i can guess it was kinda funny or weird anyway.

The coolest line Iorek said was that "Yes, that is all, That is all". One strange thing: I have not seen one toy from this movie in Sweden yet. I find that really strange. Maybye the movie company didnt want to promote the movie so much here.
Oh what a funny werewolf i am. come joining the eating party...
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

:lol: Your friend's depraved. :lol:

I too thought the bear fight was awesome. My audience applauded at the end of it, too; from what I'm reading on the IMdB board for the movie, that's a fairly common reaction. And no doubt. That's what's leading me to the "this has been edited to death!" conclusion. I'll bet the rest of the movie was that awesome before the studio buckled to the "heresy" hue and cry.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

the soundtrack was awful Didn't match the action :P
Defensorem Lupus
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Being Frank
Mood: Relief

Post by Defensorem Lupus »

I do not know why everybody was making a fuss about the movie and books being anti-religion, I am glad you guys liked it. I still have to see it. I think I will wind up watching it on the internet.
The wolf is neither man's competitor nor his enemy.
He is a fellow creature with whom the earth must be shared...
If the wolf is to survive, the wolf haters must be outnumbered.
They must be outshouted, out financed, and out voted.
Their narrow and biased attitude must be outweighed by an attitude based on an understanding of natural processes.
-Dr. L. David Mech
Fullmoonstar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ...for science

Post by Fullmoonstar »

never stop dreaming. Otherwise your dreams will never come true.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MoonKit »

MrDragon811 wrote:I do not know why everybody was making a fuss about the movie and books being anti-religion,
It is A LOT more noticeable in the books. Maybe not the first but the third book contains a war on "the Authority". And Lyra gets referred to as Eve very often. It does get very religious...or anti-religious eventually. But they are good books. :D
Defensorem Lupus
Legendary
Legendary

I am a very religious person with having no certain religion, weird I know, but it just bothers me how almost all religious fanatics are saying to boycott this movie, do not let your kids read the books or watch the movie, the author is an atheist, and so on with all of their talk. Causing conflict when it is not needed, that is what always bothers me. I do not know maybe it is just me but it is just a book and/or movie, give me a break, the author is not trying to preach his beliefs on anyone.
I am sorry, I had to let that one out. This is still not going to stop me from watching the movie or when I get a chance read the books.
Their narrow and biased attitude must be outweighed by an attitude based on an understanding of natural processes.
-Dr. L. David Mech
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

The argument against the movie was that "It leads to the books which are anti-religious." :P

As for Phillip Pullman and his work, it would be more accurate to say that he's opposed to organized religion. That's basically what the Authority is -- they threw away the Creator in favor of a god they could oppress, persecute and pillage in the name of.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I hate bears, but I would have rather seen this movie then that god-awfull movie 'I Am Legend'.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MoonKit »

Terastas wrote:
As for Phillip Pullman and his work, it would be more accurate to say that he's opposed to organized religion. That's basically what the Authority is -- they threw away the Creator in favor of a god they could oppress, persecute and pillage in the name of.
Whom I like to agree with. :D
Defensorem Lupus
Legendary
Legendary

That makes understanding things much better. They should just get over it, no one is telling them to buy and/or read the books.
-Dr. L. David Mech
nekocj
Legendary
Legendary

Post by nekocj »

I loved it! Polar Bear was awesome, Pan (that was his name right?) was cute as hell, Nicole Kidman was very evil in this film, and oh yes I hated the fact that all the bad guys had to have wolf daemons. The hell is that s*** about? They weren't even really well animated. I had some issues here and there about the CG animals, but the Polar Bear was fantastic!

-Neko