Inheriting Werewolf Genes

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Inheriting Werewolf Genes

Post by Rosiewolf »

Ok, what if someone had changed into a wolf and found out that they were a werewolf, and yet their parents weren't? Would that be possible? I know that you would have to look and see somewhere along the line in that persons family history if they were, and take into consideration of dominant and recessive genes.
Take my advice-- I don't use it anyway
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Spongy »

It seems possible if the werewolf gene was a recessive trait. Either that or the person just got really lucky and it was a genetic mutation.
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rosiewolf »

Yes that could be true. But I think that the probability of that would be slim.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Assuming lycanthropy is an infectious syndrome, it's highly possible. Assuming it's hereditary, however, at least one parent would have to have had a recessive gene, a passive form of lycanthropy, or a unique condition that restricts shapeshifting.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

One gene can make a protein. It takes 78 chromosomes worth of DNA to describe a wolf. I haven't the foggiest idea how many it would take to describe how to turn someone into one. I do grant that most of DNA is filler, so you could fit 78 chromosomes worth of stuff in maybe eight, and since humans and wolves are both mammals, you could probably reduce things down to two or four chromosomes. But, the only way I can see one gene doing so much is if you couple it with a magical phenomenon, or near-magic "quantum mechanics pulling from a parallel universe" stuff that's well above and beyond biology as we know it.

I know, the temptation is there to do something with the "filler" DNA, like squeeze half the necessary DNA in one parent and the other half in the other, and have the kid happen to have the right mix of both. But, if humans had a smattering of stray DNA that acted like genes, we'd discover and catalogue them as genes.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Well, if we assume werewolves are a different race altogether, you could work the gene angle. Perhaps they can crossbreed with humans but the kids behave as through they have a "recessive" gene?
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Ah, it's nice to have a doctor in the Pack. :D

At any rate, it would be so much easier to explain such a scenario by regarding lycanthropy as a virus or bacteria instead of a hereditary gene.

For one thing, viruses and bacteria mutate and redevelop continuously. That's why you need to get a flu shot every year -- because the surviving strand of the flu virus is one that's immune to the previous vaccine. If lycanthropy is a syndrome that is inherited from the parents instead of a specific gene, it's highly possible that he could have an entirely different set than that of his parents.

As for why the parents don't develop different strands as a result of bacterial mutation and variation, the best explanation I could offer would be in regards to our regeneration debate. The consensus, if I recall correctly, was that lycanthropy would also fight against foreign agents in the bloodstream like other viruses. If you buy into that and presume that the lycanthropic syndrome/bacteria naturally eliminates all foreign substances, you could possibly argue that the same individual cannot develop different forms because his "dominant" strand of lycanthropy continually eliminates any and all variations that develop. If lycanthropy was passed on during birth or an infection, however, there may be a slight possibility of one such variation being carried over and develop into the dominant strand in the uninfected individual.

If such is possible, somebody with a passive non-shifting form of lycanthropy could produce an individual with an active shifting form of lycanthropy.

The last thing I could think of was something I remember toying around with way back when: The possibility that lycanthropy is actually widespread, but that it is naturally dormant and only becomes active in individuals with certain traits. If you accept that, someone with inactive lycanthropy could pair up with someone that is uninfected but has the necessary traits and become the parents of an active werewolf. That's a long shot though, so I prefer the mutation definition.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

The question of Lupanthropy as a recessive geneset is a good one, and has been debated before, to a degree.
Possibly, a recessive could become active from exposure; but would that exposure not only produce an activation in a recessive, but start Crossing Over in a non-genetic Lupanthrope?
A viral record could be transmitted via genetics, from one generation to the next-it is with some immunities to disease. The colostrum provided by the mother could also "transfer" Lupanthropy from one generation to the next.
That might be a way that some babies get weaned: soft gums becoming toothy jaws would do the trick nicely-if painfully. :lol:

There might also be a resistance to Lupanthropy that is genetic: you could get bit, transfused, have sex and still not Cross Over. Bummer to the Max! :( One could literally be IMMUNE to becoming a Werewolf!

There might be a genetic tag in recessive Lupanthropes; such as yellow ringed irises, extra long canine teeth, pointy-but not pointed ears; that might be a sign of a recessive Lupanthrope, just as there are genetic tags for other genetic conditions, such as PKU and Aspergers Disease.

It verges on possible, in a story situation.

(Note: since there is a Psychotic disorder called Lycanthropy; I used the Latin-root word instead of the Greek one. They mean the same thing.)

EDIT: P.S. If you are willed a pair of Levi's with a tail-hole, you have inherited Werewolf Jeans. :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rosiewolf »

:lol: Funny joke there RedEye.

Back on topic.

Mutations could also be a cause (I think someone might have pointed that out already), but how would that come about? There would have to be a mix of human DNA and wolf DNA wouldn't there? I know that there isn't any proof for this (at least any that I don't know of, there always could be), but I am just curious. Or would there be a "special" strand of DNA, that is different all together?
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I would think that the werewolf trait would be dominant since it forces you to change. For it to skip a few generations would probably mean that the last ancestor must have loved a werewolf a long long time ago.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Shadow Wulf wrote:I would think that the werewolf trait would be dominant since it forces you to change. For it to skip a few generations would probably mean that the last ancestor must have loved a werewolf a long long time ago.
Another possibility is that as a recessive gene, it requires another gene to activate it. Take green eyes for example ( a very recessive gene). You have green eyes, but neither of your parents have them: their eyes are brown. Your mother's aunt has green eyes, and your father's uncle has green eyes. You have a one-in-four chance of having green eyes yourself, since it's in both your family lines, and in the genders necessary to produce brown eyed parents with a green eyed recessive gene-each. You win the genetic dice-roll, with green eyes. Now, your children will have a good chance at having green eyes as well, since both parts of the geneset are present in you. If your spouse has either blue or hazel eyes, then your kids will have a <50% chance of having your eye color (since blue and hazel are also recessive genes). If your spouse has brown or black eyes, none of your children will have green eyes unless your spouse has the same green-recessive gene available.

Thus, Green Eyes can skip generations. As to the Werewolf geneset, since this isn't a Were' planet; it's most likely also a recessive gene: note that there is nothing "recessive" about anything when both parents have the gene as an inactive or recessive geneset. The only requirement is that BOTH parents have ancestors who were carriers of the Werewolf gene-but not actively so themselves.

Still, I like Shadow Wulf's explanation just as well: only make that BOTH parents' ancestors...
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

When it comes to the whole werewolf and genes, I like to think of it as a breeding of mixed species, a perfect example is the liger, a mix of tiger and lion, you'll notice right away that it has the dominant traits of both species, but I would think that if that Liger kept breeding (Im not sure if they can breed) with the lion species, then a couple of generations down the cub would be just a normal lion. Same thing with werewolves who keeps breeding with humans, the later generations will start loosing the dominant traits of a werewolf because theres less and less werewolf DNA in the blood. As the traits disappear, its possible that one major trait skips a generation because the chances of inheriting these traits becomes less likely, but continues onto in later generations.

Again, seeing how a werewolf gene can make a man shift, Id imagine it would take a lot of generations for a new born to be completely human with no enhanced abilities whats so ever.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Of course, there is also the issue of lycanthropy being sexually transmitted (As in Peter is the Wolf), in which case the arguign about genes is moot as both parents become lycanthropic.
XIV
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rosiewolf »

How would lycanthropy be able to be sexually transmited Dreamer? I know that there might not be an exact answer, but I am just curious on what your thought about that is.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Shadow Wulf wrote:I would think that if that Liger kept breeding (Im not sure if they can breed)
They can't. Most hybrids are infertile.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

Set wrote:
Shadow Wulf wrote:I would think that if that Liger kept breeding (Im not sure if they can breed)
They can't. Most hybrids are infertile.
there was one that wasn't. However they had it neutered.

one in a million of these hybrids is fertile, of course in a natural setting that is still enough to prevent cross-breeding populations from forming (not to mention alot of these species that can reproduce together are often seperated from each other by geography).

Now as for sexually transmitted, if lycanthropy is viral then it should be spredable by almost any body fluid. To prevent the blood/mosquito problem we can say that its held inside mucus based fluids, such as saliva, and seminal/vaginal fluids. The again this would mean snot can also turn someone.

"how'd you become a werewolf?"

"I was hideing behind some bars safely away from it, but then it sneezed into my open mouth and eyes."
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

... Eeeeuucchh.
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Storyteller and Artist
Mood: Angry

Post by Avareis »

Midnight wrote:... Eeeeuucchh.
God bless you.
:D

I guess the same would go for an accidental case of transfusion of blood or a shot in the butt. Through, becoming a werewolf and the rising question of why your butt hurts for no apparent reason it kind of makes you wonder...Especially if your apartment does not have any stairs leading to it.
:(
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Rosiewolf wrote:How would lycanthropy be able to be sexually transmited Dreamer? I know that there might not be an exact answer, but I am just curious on what your thought about that is.
Four words: Exchange of bodily fluids. Get it? :roll:
Moonwatcher
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guardian
Mood: Sad

Post by Moonwatcher »

All in All it is either transferred through infection, sex, or heratige oh and blood
Humans Fear The Beast Within the Wolf Because
They Do Not Understand the beast Within Themselves
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Re: Inheriting Werewolf Genes

Post by Anubis »

Rosiewolf wrote:Ok, what if someone had changed into a wolf and found out that they were a werewolf, and yet their parents weren't? Would that be possible? I know that you would have to look and see somewhere along the line in that persons family history if they were, and take into consideration of dominant and recessive genes.
No way in hell that lycanthropy can be "a" gene that can be pass down like eye color.

I mean that is a whole other level!

Being a werewolf means that the body has to have the "blue prints" for both forms and the instructions on how to safely transform with out it killing the werewolf.

That is a lot of data!!! look at it this way humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes and we don't change into anything. They need at lest twice what we have to make this possible.

only one of the trillions of base pairs that make up our being effect the simple as the pigment in the iris and that is how big it goes. to make us it takes all of them working together.

In reality if werewolves did really exist they would be a whole different species of their own despite the forms they turn into! A Zoologist might say they have something in common, like an ancestor. however they would classify it as it's own species. Despite the forms it can take!!!

that means no way lycanthropy can be a recessive gene. even if they mated with a human such breeding will never be able to take, because the genetic code doesn't match.

Heck i bet while the virus is rewriting the host's dna. i bet the immune system has to kept from attacking the same body that it's supposed to protect. Because it doesn't reconize the changed cells and assumes it's an infection. therefore it tries to get rid of it.
THE GAME

My Armory