Mosquitoes?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Storyteller and Artist
Mood: Angry

Mosquitoes?

Post by Avareis »

I thought about infection and what a mosquitoes would might do if it landed on a werewolf and then for its second course it went to a human. I just wanted to know other people's opinions and explanations for the possible infection that it could give. Then again, it might not.
I'll add mine later.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

In theory maybe, but I think if lycanthropy was that easily transmittable, we'd have seen some documented cases by now as the number of cases would spike along with Triple-E, West Nile and other mosquito-transmitted diseases.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

That would depend on how fragile the Lupus-Inceptor viroid was. While there are many diseases that can be spread by mosquitos, perhaps that particular virus would be unable to survive in the Mosquito's stomach long enough to infect someone.
Then there's dosage: would a mosquito bite transmit enough of the Virus/viroid to start the process of Crossing? Remember, this isn't just a free ride to a new host for the Virus; it has to overcome the human's immune reaction to the bite, first of all; then be present in sufficient numbers to start the process of conversion.
All the disease viri have to do is settle in and start multiplying. The Inceptor virus had a lot more to do before it can start turning you fuzzy and toothy, like invading the whole body before starting the Wolf-izing "neighbourhood renewal" program. That's a lot to ask of just a few thousand viruses (viri).
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

Just make sure to say the disease is carried in the saliva and its solved, or born a werewolf rather than being an infection.

The mosquito thing would be an interesting concept for other things like fresh zombies or living vampires.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Avareis »

I actually would say that an infection through a mosquito is impossible. In the world that I write about, the werewolves do pass on their condition through traditional and more modern ways such as we have conversed about. But a mosquito, even though it could become a carrier, is very unlikely to infect another person. The blood of a werewolf kills mosquitoes before the transfusion and infection occurs in the second bitten. Yes, it is possible, to me, but unlikely. It would be like a person getting AIDS from a toilet seat.
Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kelpten »

Yes, mosqitos rarely transmit diseases through the blood they cary. It's usually something they carry independantly.
Okami
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Okami »

I always thought the transformation gene was transmited through saliva of the lycan kinda like how the komoda dragon bites its prey and then the saliva leaks into the wound and infects it with all the germs in the saliva
Proud member of The Pack
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

RedEye wrote:That would depend on how fragile the Lupus-Inceptor viroid was. While there are many diseases that can be spread by mosquitos, perhaps that particular virus would be unable to survive in the Mosquito's stomach long enough to infect someone.
That was how I handled it in my writing: that the lycanthropic virus/bacterium/whatever it is can't survive for longer than a few minutes outside of warm-blooded conditions, so unless you had a heatwave with the temperature close to or equaling 98.6 over the course of a few days, you wouldn't see lycanthropy passed on that way.

That's also neglecting to take into account that only female mosquitoes drink blood while mating. It might also be worth taking into account that most people whack mosquitoes after the bite but before any blood is drawn, and also that mosquitoes can virtually inflate themselves with just one bite, so it would be very unusual for a mosquito to bite a werewolf long enough to draw blood and live, then bite someone else and draw blood before getting killed all during the above-described heatwave, well dang, that'd be one hell of a coincidence, wouldn't it?
Defensorem Lupus
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Being Frank
Mood: Relief

Post by Defensorem Lupus »

I think it will have to depend on how being a werewolf in the first place is transmitted. Through biting or viral or something else entirely.
Perhaps . . .
The wolf is neither man's competitor nor his enemy.
He is a fellow creature with whom the earth must be shared...
If the wolf is to survive, the wolf haters must be outnumbered.
They must be outshouted, out financed, and out voted.
Their narrow and biased attitude must be outweighed by an attitude based on an understanding of natural processes.
-Dr. L. David Mech
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Re: Mosquitoes?

Post by Figarou »

Avareis wrote:I thought about infection and what a mosquitoes would might do if it landed on a werewolf and then for its second course it went to a human. I just wanted to know other people's opinions and explanations for the possible infection that it could give. Then again, it might not.
I'll add mine later.

1st of all....is it possible for a mosquito to actually bite the werewolf? Maybe the werewolf has thick pelt. Ever thought about that? :wink:

Also, if one is to become a werewolf from a bite...I think the werewolf who's doing the biting has to be "Wolfed out" 1st. (In beast mode, werewolf form, Crinos, ETC.) It'll be odd if he/she bit someone in human form and the victim becomes a werewolf.

If thats the case...a mosquito that bit a werewolf, who happens to be in human form, won't be drawing in what it takes to transform a human to a werewolf.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Ah, the werewolf urban legends. Have you heard about the one guy who got it from his dentist?

Probably not; mosquitoes might be repelled by the taste of something as bizarre as a shape-shifter infected with a blood-borne agent. Then again, it would make for an interesting plot device. Howling in the woods, bit by a mosquito, and then the next full moon...
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Avareis »

Figarou wrote:
Avareis wrote:I thought about infection and what a mosquitoes would might do if it landed on a werewolf and then for its second course it went to a human. I just wanted to know other people's opinions and explanations for the possible infection that it could give. Then again, it might not.
I'll add mine later.

1st of all....is it possible for a mosquito to actually bite the werewolf? Maybe the werewolf has thick pelt. Ever thought about that? :wink:

Also, if one is to become a werewolf from a bite...I think the werewolf who's doing the biting has to be "Wolfed out" 1st. (In beast mode, werewolf form, Crinos, ETC.) It'll be odd if he/she bit someone in human form and the victim becomes a werewolf.

If thats the case...a mosquito that bit a werewolf, who happens to be in human form, won't be drawing in what it takes to transform a human to a werewolf.
I don't know...We have yet to determine that the werewolves from Underworld are actually naked mole rates. Thick fur, hu?. :P
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Avareis wrote:I don't know...We have yet to determine that the werewolves from Underworld are actually naked mole rates. Thick fur, hu?. :P

Heh...don't tell that to Shadow Wulf. :wink: