Are any of you reading the new Gargoyles comics?

The place for anything at all...
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Are any of you reading the new Gargoyles comics?

Post by Renorei »

Just wondering. I remember from some conversations on this forum long ago that some of you were gargoyles fans.

I've been reading them and loving them! :D It's so great to finally have new canon stories in my favorite cartoon ever. I can't wait for the trade paperback to come out Wednesday! :howl:  :oo
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Theres gargoyle comics? Why wasn't I notified of this? :evil:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

This is the company that makes them. Do a search for "gargoyles" here and you can see the covers and stuff:

http://www.slgcomic.com/

If you're interested, buying the trade paperback when it's available would probably be the easiest way to catch up :)
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

What does a trade paperback usually look like?
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Basically like a very thick comic book (though I'm not sure what the cover will look like for the gargoyles trade paperback). It goes like this:

Graphic Novel - a collection of ALL the issues of a completed comic series. Hundreds and hundreds of pages.

Trade Paperback - a collection of several issues of an ongoing (still in progress) comic series. Usually trade paperbacks contain 6 issues, but sometimes they may contain less or more (thus they are generally about 6 times as thick as an average comic, if it has 6 issues). Typically, they are set up in such a way as to contain complete story arcs. So in other words there's not usually a cliffhanger at the end of a trade paperback.

Comic book - just a regular issue of a comic book. 24 - 30 pages usually.

EDIT:

By the way if you want to get the trade you will probably need to call or go by your local comic book store and ask them to order it for you. Depending on where you live, Gargoyles may not be popular so the store owner might not order any copies of it. For example I live in a small town so I'm the only person around here that reads Gargoyles comics, but the store owner started ordering them for me and holding them until I get there. :) You can also order it off amazon or off of the SLG website, probably late this week or next week.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Sweet, thanks. :D
Image Image
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Hellz Yeah!
hwlwnk
I've been collecting them since I saw the first issue(Summer '06 I think?) at a con.

Love Gargoyles, its very nice to see the story continue(The Goliath Chronicles didn't count :P )

I think I'm still missing the newest issue though. The nearest comic book store is about 45 minutes away from us. :|

I think there is a new spin off comic called "Bad Guys". About some of the past Gargoyle villans teaming up. I'm having trouble finding that one.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Silverclaw:

I have the first issue of Bad Guys; it's really good so far. It's in black and white instead of color, but it still looks awesome. The artist who penciled #5 (Bash) of the main series, Karinne Charlebois (who is, IMO, the best artist they've had so far), is doing all of the art for Bad Guys. The next one comes out in late January or February, I think.

The most recent issue of the main series, #7, is simply awesome. I won't give anything away, but the story follows a very cool, non-linear format. The artist for this one is David Hedgecock, but he's improved tremendously from his work in #1-#3. I still prefer Charlebois, but Hedgecock is definitely getting really good. You'll like this issue when you get it. You'll probably have to read it multiple times to really appreciate it (or I did, anyway).
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

Cool 8)

Do you know who publishes the 'Bad Guys' comic? It would be nice to know when asking if its in stock when I get to go back to the comic book place :D
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

The same company does the main title, as well as Bad Guys and any future spin-off series that are made. It's Slave Labor Graphics, here's their website: http://www.slgcomic.com/

Here's some information about the various spin-offs (according to current information, this may change):
-they'll be black and white
-they'll each have 6 issues (so basically, they'll be telling several story arcs but won't be an ongoing thing)
-ideally, the spin-off issues will come out on alternate months of the main title. Since both the main title and the spin offs will be bimonthly, this will mean that we should be getting at least one Gargoyles universe comic book per month
-Future spin-offs: Timedancer, Pendragon, New Olympians, 2198, and Dark Ages
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

After Bad Guys is finished, Timedancer will be coming out, and then Pendragon seems to be the most likely to follow. But as far as Dark Ages, The New Olympians, and 2198, I have no idea which ones will come first.
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

Renorei wrote:After Bad Guys is finished, Timedancer will be coming out, and then Pendragon seems to be the most likely to follow. But as far as Dark Ages, The New Olympians, and 2198, I have no idea which ones will come first.
:o Sweet!
Next best thing besides being made into a tv series :D

I've read about those at the askgreg site; they all sound awesome 8)
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

The ones I'm looking forward to most are Timedancer and Dark Ages. For some reason, I just wasn't very interested in Bad Guys, but I'm glad I bought it anyway because it definitely pleasantly surprised me.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

The paperback is going to be in black and white? Aww that stinks. :(
Image Image
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Oh no, the paperback will be in glorious color, just like the comics are. :D

Only the spin-off series will be in black and white.
Okami
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Okami »

gargoyles? i loved that show i had no idea they had comics. :D
Proud member of The Pack
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Renorei wrote:Oh no, the paperback will be in glorious color, just like the comics are. :D

Oh thats good. So when does the paperback come out?
Image Image
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I'm so excited! The trade comes out tomorrow!!! It's gonna be so great to go pick it up at the comic book store. :cafinated:

Okami: If you want to catch up, you should buy the trade paperback too. :D
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Shadow Wulf wrote:
Renorei wrote:Oh no, the paperback will be in glorious color, just like the comics are. :D

Tomorrow! :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo
Okami
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Okami »

Renorei wrote:
Shadow Wulf wrote:

Tomorrow! :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo
dang and here i am with no money. :cry:
Proud member of The Pack
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Damn so many things I have to buy, new keyboard, extra fan for computer, have to buy game from friend, trying to get a hold of astounding wolfman #4.
Image Image
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I'm loving the astounding wolfman comics.
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

I hope the Gargoyle comic is popular and sells well; I'd hate to see it get canceled like the show...or whatever you call it when a comic stops running :P We need all those spinoff comics! I think I'm looking forward to TimeDancer and Dark Ages the most as well...2198 sounds sweet too... :D
We just need the Gargoyle Season 2, Vol. 2 too come out to dvd now. :)

Off-topic-ish- Yeah, I've really been enjoying the Astounding WolfMan series as well. Another comic I read is The Mice Templar. Beautiful art, and its about talking mice/rats :) Has a Redwall vibe to it, but much darker. Check it out! 8)
(I've also been meaning to get more into the Fable comics)
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

WOW, I read the Mice Templar too!

Anyway, in regards to the sales of the gargoyles comics. Sales have been declining a bit, but that's probably mostly because there were some serious delays with the early issues. Greg Weisman and everyone else working on the comic generally complete their portion of it in a very timely manner, but the problem is that f*** Disney takes forever to approve them, thus delaying the comic and potentially lowering sales. I wish Disney would get off their a** and approve things faster (and release season 2 vol 2), but if they won't do that then I guess Greg and company will simply have to get their work done well in advance and submit things way early, so there's no delays.

However, with the release of the trade, there's a really good chance sales will start going up again. And, if the comic can iron out its delay problems so sales don't fall, I think there's a good chance we may have these Gargoyles comics for a long long time.

Also, I forgot to mention this--for anyone else who is contemplating buying the trade paperback, I think it can also be purchased at Barnes and Nobles or Borders, if you don't have a comic store around, or if you have a comic store but they don't order the gargoyles trade paperback.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Well, unfortunately it looks like I'll have to wait until next week to get the Gargoyles trade paperback. My comic book guy wasn't able to get it for me this week. Did any of the rest of you buy one?