Shifting control?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

How long do you think a werewolf gains control?

After the first full moon.
11%
After the second full moon.
15%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
48%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
4%
4 - I like werewolves a lot but wouldn’t want to become one
19%
Report the incident to your pack’s leaders and let them decide what to do
4%

Total votes: 27

Megs
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: You mess with one wolf, you mess with the pack.
Location: MN, USA...Actually, standing outside your window...watching...waiting...Get off the internet!

Shifting control?

Post by Megs »

I read all the topics and control was mentioned, but I didn't see a topic on it. In my novel, Lycanthropy's a virus, everyone knows about werewolves, it's carried in mucus based fluids, the first shift happens on the next full moon, and yadda yadda. :) Don't wanna say too much.

Anywho...I was wondering what are peoples' thoughts on control? I like how recently infected are newbies; the full moon, raw meat, adrenaline, and all that good stuff and a recent wolf can shift right there. Older wolves have better control and although there is a need to shift on the full moon, a few don't have to. My question is how long do you think it takes for a newbie wolf to actually get control, if ever? Opinions and I want them now! :D
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The doomed Chocolate lover.
Mood: Happy

Post by Blue-eyes in the dark »

Well i'm writeing a book of my very own on the same topic as well, and i'd say that the time it would take a "newbie" (as you put it) to have atleast decent controle would be a few months, while by the most i'd say would be a few years. now if you don't want your main to have obsticals to go through then i'd say you summerize much of his/her's younger life.
Reading an distributing copies of "The Werewolf's Guide to Life: a Manuel for the newly bitten" Help, where it's needed.
WereWolfBoy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Making the humans pay the wrong they have caused the pack
Additional Details: Damn the night
paws covered in blood, running
Running through the forest
Naked ,free of clothing howling
Animal instinct calls from
within.
Mood: Meh...

Post by WereWolfBoy »

i agree with you blue it all depends as well on the age of the werewolf and the past things that happened to the "Newbie Werewolf" before they were bit.
The world lives in silence as we howl our hearts aloud
Megs
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Location: MN, USA...Actually, standing outside your window...watching...waiting...Get off the internet!

Post by Megs »

Newbie's just a temporary word or at least one of my mains call them that, vocabulary is under construction. Simple question and my brain refused to think of an answer :bounce: Yeesh. Thank you, blue. :)
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Mine don't have their shifting tied to the full moon. The first shift happens about a week and a half after the bite, as that's how long it takes the virus-like symbiotic thingy to work its way through the whole body. Mine start out with no control but can get partial control within days or even hours--very little, and it takes lots of work. Pretty good control takes about two months, provided one isn't spending the whole time fighting to stay human and bemoaning their great fortune. It takes about 3-5 months to get enough control to reset one's hair length the same after each shift and to avoid things like unwanted unibrows.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Megs
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Megs »

I go by the whole virus thing and totally understand the no moon, but I still like to add the moon in it. It's just...werewolf-y. For decades werewolves and the full moon had been tied and it's just...like peanut butter and jelly or peas and carrots. 8) [/quote]
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary

like chocolate and rice, like musterd and pizza, like chicken and woffles, like like sex and cereal, like good and sinister, like pringles and sourcrout. lol :lol:
Reading an distributing copies of "The Werewolf's Guide to Life: a Manuel for the newly bitten" Help, where it's needed.
Megs
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Megs »

Ha ha ha Very funny. :P I just like to add the old werewolf stuff in...the moon and silver I don't feel should be completely cut out. It just seems odd if it is.
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary

ya i understand what you mean, the hero must have a weakness or he will never have a tru conflict. :)
WereWolfBoy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Making the humans pay the wrong they have caused the pack
Additional Details: Damn the night
paws covered in blood, running
Running through the forest
Naked ,free of clothing howling
Animal instinct calls from
within.

Post by WereWolfBoy »

howl true.
The world lives in silence as we howl our hearts aloud
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

We've been over this before, so I'll let a friend of mine answer:

"Your eyes have changed, in that about thirty percent of the cones have been mutated to rods, which only see in black and white.
Greg thought for a second, then queried; 'So the cones see colors and the rods, black and white; right?'
The Servant nodded; 'Since there are more light receptors in the cones, that means your low-light level sensitivity has increased a lot; enough that a night with a Full Moon is like a moderately overcast day for us. That's why this moon-and-shift thing came about, it isn't that the moon makes us shift, it's just that we can see a lot better then, and we plan our in-fur activities around those nights."
:wink:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Megs
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Megs »

:? Ah....Ooooo :)
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary

Thank you, for the first time i can better understand how the moon can be used logicly(aside from the situation of the moon causeing the change)
Megs
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Megs »

Sort of slightly discombobulated after still reading it 3 times...I think.
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xiroteus »

Personally I would not have shifting based on the moon, it really depends what how fast the author would would them to shift, I would tend to make things too quick or easy, same goes for power, that is something I would need to scale down a bit to avoid making everything too easy, so many a few days, few weeks for perfect control depending on the person.
Wolfzilla
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Hillbilly Werewolf.

Post by Wolfzilla »

RedEye wrote:We've been over this before, so I'll let a friend of mine answer:

"Your eyes have changed, in that about thirty percent of the cones have been mutated to rods, which only see in black and white.
Greg thought for a second, then queried; 'So the cones see colors and the rods, black and white; right?'
The Servant nodded; 'Since there are more light receptors in the cones, that means your low-light level sensitivity has increased a lot; enough that a night with a Full Moon is like a moderately overcast day for us. That's why this moon-and-shift thing came about, it isn't that the moon makes us shift, it's just that we can see a lot better then, and we plan our in-fur activities around those nights."
:wink:
Hmm... well as long as we're quoting our works.

"The first change is different for each of us. It is based around certain psychological triggers buried in our subconscious. You might change during the next full moon, and in modern day cubs, this is the norm, as our race is so closely tied to the moon in human culture. But you also might change the next time you feel a very powerful emotion, or the next time you see a naked woman."

My two cents.
Oh my God, the Wolfman's got nards!

"That's how Dad did it, that's how America does it, and it has worked pretty well so far."
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary

Hmmmm, now that makes me wonder what my trigger might be. :?
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

Blue-eyes in the dark wrote:Hmmmm, now that makes me wonder what my trigger might be. :?
Somebody chasing you with a baseball bat? Getting "jumped" in a long line? Winding up naked in front of your whole school, and realizing it isn't a dream? Finding half a worm in the apple you're eating?
Getting bonked by a wet rubber duckie? :ducktoss2:

Lot's of possibilities... :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Megs
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Megs »

:lol: Nice RedEye.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

RedEye wrote: Getting bonked by a wet rubber duckie? :ducktoss2:

Lot's of possibilities... :lol:
You mean a slobber covered rubber duckie. :duckieinmouth:

:thpt2:
Megs
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Megs »

Don't forget the slobber part! :D
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xiroteus »

Megs
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Megs »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Xiroteus wrote:

Here's your "Wet one." :wetwolf4:

:jester:
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xiroteus »

A "water" filled duckie?