the size of a werewolf

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

kitetsu wrote:Or maybe both you and ritter will get reprimands.

Ritter does, after all, come from another werewolf forum whose "general mannerisms" are a lot more "crude" than here.
Me? What did I do wrong?

...is it better for me to just sit by and let new members tell others they are not allowed to ever "speak again"?

It is of no concern to me how people are allowed to behave on OTHER forums.
(In all honesty, the behavior in many forums is simply appalling, and I am quite proud to say we are usually more civil than that here)

We are a tight, friendly group here, and I plan to help keep it that way.

I feel that my previous post was clear, informative, and forgiving. If anything I said was hurtful or out of line, please tell me.

All I am trying to do is help keep the peace...and sometimes that means holding up the stop sign and blowing the whistle.

:cop:
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:
All I am trying to do is help keep the peace...and sometimes that means holding up the stop sign and blowing the whistle.

Do I see someone that wants to be a mod?

:grinp:
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Your fault is that you took Ritter's sarcasm too seriously. That would lose you a lot of candidate points in the next mod election. If you think my honesty is a lie and uncalled for, then it shames me to say that you lack a sense of humor.

If only Zenislev was here...
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:
Vuldari wrote:All I am trying to do is help keep the peace...and sometimes that means holding up the stop sign and blowing the whistle.

Do I see someone that wants to be a mod?

:grinp:
No...not really.

I like being a peacekeeper...

...but so long as I remain "unnoficial", then everyone can ignore me as they please, rather than feel like they are obligated to do what I say.

I would like to think that when I give advice, it is good enough to be recognised as such and followed by thier own free will, rather than forced.

If my advice is Bad...then it probobly SHOULD be ignored.

I guess I just like to act like the Conscience of The Pack sometimes...

...like Jiminy Cricket... only fuzzier and not a bug Image

Last edited by Vuldari on Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

kitetsu wrote:Your fault is that you took Ritter's sarcasm too seriously.
Sarcasm?

Strange that none of what was said came off as the least bit sarcastic to me...

...felt more like it was intended to actually encourage those who share the opinion that was being opposed to shut up and not share thier opinions any more.

If neoritter was intending to be funny, I think it should be noted that no one is laughing, and perhaps fair apologies are in order.

...as a gesture of good faith, at least...

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:

I guess I just to act like the Conscience of The Pack sometimes...

...like Jiminy Cricket... only fuzzier and not a bug Image

Well....as long as you don't sing.........

"I'm no fool, no sirree!"

:jester:
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:Well....as long as you don't sing.........

"I'm no fool, no sirree!"

:jester:
*Stops with mouth wide open about to break into song*

[dissapointed voice] "...Aw Man..." [/dissapointed voice]

*Gestures to music band to take 5 and climbs down off of soap box*

=^.^'= ~
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Vuldari wrote:Sarcasm?

...felt more like it was intended to actually encourage those who share the opinion that was being opposed to shut up and not share thier opinions any more.

If neoritter was intending to be funny, I think it should be noted that no one is laughing, and perhaps fair apologies are in order.

The statement in bold is exactly why i mentioned that your sensitivity is a bit over the top.

Just lighten up, for the love of god...

Actually, to devil's blue blazing colon hell with this. I'm guessing you still don't want to share some blame, so I've better things to do than get my own a** into trouble because of "blackmail" or "intimidation".
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

i thought Ritter's comment was a little hostileish sounding as well, though i doubt he intended it. Perhaps just remind him we have plenty of emotions, and to be carful with said sarcasim, because, after all, facial emotions, tone of voice, jestures, etc., don't come through text well.
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

kitetsu wrote:
Vuldari wrote:Sarcasm?

The statement in bold is exactly why i mentioned that your sensitivity is a bit over the top.

Actually, to devil's blue blazing colon hell with this. I'm guessing you still don't want to share some blame, so I've better things to do than get my own a** into trouble because of "blackmail" or "intimidation".
Kitetsu! You of all people should know how Vuldari is when things like this start happening, he is not intimidating you and no one is blackmailing you, he never did for as long as I known him. Hes just trying to keep the conversation at a respectable level (I dont know why he isnt a mod). He means no disrespect to you or anyone, you may have been joking but it didnt sound like it, thats why we have emoticons in good use. And another thing, neoritter has been pretty harsh about other peoples oppinions lately, he should try to lighten up, everyones oppinnions should be equally respected. But if they are posting ideas for the movie then they should know we are trying to make a realistic werewolf, not one that sprout wings and and horns and can fly faster than an F22 jet.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

kitetsu wrote:The statement in bold is exactly why i mentioned that your sensitivity is a bit over the top.

Sensitive? Well of course I am sensitive. I am a real live person with emotions and feelings like anyone else, and I care how people treat me and each other. I find it far more preferable to be sensative than apathetic.
kitetsu wrote:Actually, to devil's blue blazing colon hell with this. I'm guessing you still don't want to share some blame, so I've better things to do than get my own a** into trouble because of "blackmail" or "intimidation".
Blame?

I'm sorry...I'm still confused about what you are accusing me of...besides CARING. What exactly is wrong with that?

However, I doubly confused as to how you think I may be trying to get you into trouble, intimidate you or "blackmail" you.

...hunh?...

neoritter has been saying mean things. I am merely asking him to stop. I am not making threats, nor do I even have any power to back them up if I was...which I'm not.

If caring about Good-Will, Respect and Manners is "WRONG"... I don't want to be Right. Image

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

ok...no more complaints, bickering, and what not. Lets stay on topic please.

The next offensive post will be deleted. Sorry to be this way. But its starting to get out of hand.

Lets just keep the peace we worked so hard for? Hmmm?
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

As far as size goes for this movie, a major thing comes to mind, do we want primarily costumes or CGI.
even though with camera effects and altered prop sizes they can make five foot guys six foot cowboys, or six foot rubber suits 400 foot tall monsters. "or someone as short as Lou Feragno"sp" seem like he's seven feet tall"

I am partial to costumes myself as they feel more real. While CGI is getting better, even with lighting effects and everything it still feels otherwordly and out of the scene,
I even have a game where I watch a movie where they swith between suit, robot, and CGI and point out where the changes occure "not an appreciated game if its the first time someone is seeing it)
:lol:
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
neoritter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Dogfighter

Post by neoritter »

Figarou wrote:ok...no more complaints, bickering, and what not. Lets stay on topic please.
Thats what I was doing. Then people started posting about being a sexy stud, and another person posted about the height of a werewolf. The question being presented and hence the topic was: "If a fat person were to become a werewolf, would they transform into a werewolf that looked the same as if an average weighted person transformed into a werewolf?"

So my next statement was somewhat sarcastic in nature, but it was trying to stay on topic. Hence forth back on topic...

You get a chubby werewolf. Unless we decide that transforming burns calories, then the average sized person would run into problems transforming, not to mention the unexplained reason as to why the fat guy was fat the day before and the next day was skinny or weighed significantly less.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Point being: the title of this forum is "The Size of a Werewolf." I was sticking to the Biological/Economy model, and pointing out that apparent size versus actual size can differ substantially.
I have a pair of special shoes that make one Digitigrade, and the difference in my height between Shoes vs flatfooted is 4 3/4". I came by them at a swap meet, and going by the maker and other I.D. on the inner tongue, they are for some sort of nasty bone condition....but they fit and worked great last year for a Halloween bit.
I figure that if a Were' is digitigrade, then that would be the sort of height difference...
I was speaking to the Title of the Forum, not your post. Peace.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Black Claw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Hidden Archer
Mood: Excited

Post by Black Claw »

My cousin once wanted me to draw a fat werewolf. i did and he actually looked pretty muscular "Ha ha ha!". i showed it to him and he thought he just finished eating a deer or something. But to understand the situation, it is pretty interesting. A wolf though is pretty muscular and i would believe that the fat would become muscle and a small person would gain muscle and strength through the full moon or something like that of a few werewolf movies i've seen. they would probably grow in stature and height be cause of the combination of the anatomy of the wolf and human body.
Black Claw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Hidden Archer
Mood: Excited

what should a werewolf be?

Post by Black Claw »

My cousin once wanted me to draw a fat werewolf. i did and he actually looked pretty muscular "Ha ha ha!". i showed it to him and he thought he just finished eating a deer or something. But to understand the situation, it is pretty interesting. A wolf though is pretty muscular and i would believe that the fat would become muscle and a small person would gain muscle and strength through the full moon or something like that of a few werewolf movies i've seen. they would probably grow in stature and height be cause of the combination of the anatomy of the wolf and human body.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Ugh.

For aesthetic/coolness reasons, a werewolf in a film should get AT LEAST 1 - 2 feet taller when in their werewolf form. They should look awesome, tough, and werewolf-ey, not like some sh*t piece of furry/anthro art. Lord knows when/if Freeborn will ever come about, but I sure hope AB and Silver focus more on making the werewolves look awesome, rather than blindly adhering to "realism". I hate when people try to make a completely fantastical creature like a werewolf into something that's "scientifically plausible". That takes away what makes it so wonderful. F**k conservation of matter! Why does this even enter the discussion for something like werewolves which can't possibly exist anyway?

Fat werewolves: If you want your werewolves to be quasi-realistic, then it doesn't make sense to have fat werewolves. Why? Because a shift would require a fairly massive energy expenditure, plus a werewolf would surely have an extraordinarily fast metabolism. A newly-bitten werewolf might be fat, but would inevitably lose their excess body weight in a few weeks or months.

Personally, if these werewolves are going to be "realistic" (which I hope they aren't) then I hope the werewolf virus comes with a set of genes for blocking myostatin. :evil: Then at least they'd be sorta cool.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Renorei wrote:]I hate when people try to make a completely fantastical creature like a werewolf into something that's "scientifically plausible". That takes away what makes it so wonderful.
For you maybe. I like the more realistic werewolves, then it feels like I might run into one out in the woods tonight.
F**k conservation of matter! Why does this even enter the discussion for something like werewolves which can't possibly exist anyway?
Because geeks are picky.
plus a werewolf would surely have an extraordinarily fast metabolism.
Too fast of a metabolism can kill you. What you're talking about seems to me like the "shrew model", a.k.a. never gain an ounce but eat all day every day or die. It would only make sense to have the energy used DURING the transformation, not before or after.
Howlitzer
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: yradnegeL

Post by Howlitzer »

keep in mind, depending on how the skeleton is configured after the transformation, adding a rather considerable amount of height, not on the order of 1-2 feet, but certainly the better part of a foot, is certainly possible. Take a person of average height and add 8-10 inches, and you could have an adequately intimidating beast....and that's not that hard to do if you shift the bones around in the leg to a digitigrade stance. If even a little bit of lengthening of the bones is possible, adding a foot at that point wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

assuming the person may have built up muscle mass anyway in the time before the transformation, they could become bulkier in appearance during the transformation without actually gaining muscle mass. Your body would have to take a longer period of time to initially *prepare* itself for being able to transform...so building up dense muscle mass could be something your body does during that time. This way, you could gain muscle mass without *appearing* much bulkier, since different types of muscle can be stronger/denser... in the same way a professional swimmer or gymnast may be just as strong, but far less bulky in appearance, than a body builder would be. Then, during the transformation as things get moved around, you could go from gymnast type muscle to body builder muscle no problem... no gain in mass, everyone's happy.

So...just because it's realistic doesn't mean it can't be just as intimidating... "realistic" doesn't mean a wimpy werewolf. If you made a very, very plausible, and equally intimidating werewolf and pulled it off well....it would add to the entertainment factor bigtime. If you manage to do all this while pleasing the picky geeks, you're golden.
Defensorem Lupus
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Being Frank
Mood: Relief

Post by Defensorem Lupus »

As for the size it will have to depend on which form the werewolf is in. But overall I would have to agree with a lot of you; it will most definitely add on to the size. Other then that it depends on how ever the person creating the werewolf wants their werewolf to look like.
The wolf is neither man's competitor nor his enemy.
He is a fellow creature with whom the earth must be shared...
If the wolf is to survive, the wolf haters must be outnumbered.
They must be outshouted, out financed, and out voted.
Their narrow and biased attitude must be outweighed by an attitude based on an understanding of natural processes.
-Dr. L. David Mech