What about tatoos??

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Irish Wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sneezy
Mood: Meh...
Location: If I told you...well let's just say it wouldn't be good

Post by Irish Wolf »

Set wrote:Might depend on what kind of brand it is. There are two, hot and cold. Hot burns the hair off and well..burns. A cold brand strips all of the pigment out of the hair, which grows back in white.
The cold brand would end up a white splotch of fur.
Night_Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: My cross to bare

Post by Night_Hunter »

The tattoo would be gone after the first shift because the WW body would view it as a foriegn problem then the body would regenerate new tissue to heal to it. When the humanshifts back the tattoo's gone

A tattoo on a human in WW form would take no effect, it would regenerate in minutes. Or hours. Doesn't matter.

WW regenerate because of their high metabolic rate. Science Fact
Howlitzer
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: yradnegeL

Post by Howlitzer »

who says a werewolf wouldn't scar at all? I mean, they might have *better* regenerative ability than humans do... but look at it this way...

no scarring ability= no callousing.

no calluses= possibly tender skin....all the time.

Also...scarring is faster and easier for a body to do when healing. The reason why we form scars in the first place is because, prior to our ability to keep wounds relatively clean and sterile, it was of priority to close a wound fast, rather than regenerating the tissue entirely. Thus, scarring evolved....with the obvious drawback that we could no longer grow back limbs like some other animals can.

With no scarring ability at all, and just regeneration...true, you'd technically be able to grow back a limb...but you'd have to keep the wound quite clean or you'd be wide open to infection....and this is something mother nature is not going to take into account.

Depending entirely on *how* a werewolf is biologically designed to transform between human and wolf forms, this might cause damage that the body is equipped to regenerate rather than form scar tissue....in the same way we regenerate muscle when we exercise, which causes muscles to break down...it's still relatively within the body's normal abilities to handle. If the injury is more severe than the body can normally handle, however, it might be much faster than a human would heal, and much less noticable in the end, but I'd expect scarring... Given a werewolf would be able to take MUCH more of a beating than a human if their body is already equipped to drastically restructure itself... but what's to say that they wouldn't scar at all? Growing back an entire hand is much more complex than lengthening and reshaping the bones and tissue already present in the body.....so if a werewolf took enough of a beating, got cut deep enough, or lost part of a limb, they might bounce back faster and heal better, but I doubt they would come out of it with nothing to show for it.
Moonwatcher
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guardian
Mood: Sad

Post by Moonwatcher »

I think the only way u cloud get a tattoo on the wolf would probably by a birth mark
Humans Fear The Beast Within the Wolf Because
They Do Not Understand the beast Within Themselves
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Howlitzer, I think you're mistaking what calluses are. They aren't scars. What they are is thickened areas of skin that protect the underlayer of living tissues with a layer or three of dead skin.

The areas that would callus on a Werewolf are the same areas that would callus on a Smoothskiin human; areas where there is stress on the derma, and the derma's response of thickening itself for protection.

A Werewolf that was digitigrade would be more prone to callus formation than a plantigrede one would be because the being's weight would be focussed on less surface area (the toe-pads and the central paw-pad).

In fact, Wolves have callused pads from the active running lives they lead; so not to worry: a Werewolf would make all the calluses it needed, just like people do.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Howlitzer
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: yradnegeL

Post by Howlitzer »

ah, ok then...my mistake about the calluses.

well, not entirely my mistake. My biology teacher was wrong as well then, since he would be the person that said that calluses were formed from scar tissue... :roll:

than again this is the same Biology teacher that did not catch the problem with the quote in my signature >.<

Soooo...ignore that part of what i said.

The rest though, I stick by that.

Although, interesting factoid...

I read an article recently which mentioned a breed of lab mice which have unexpectedly begun to show regenerative abilities not present in other mammals. They can grow back ears, parts of limbs, parts of their tails, even parts of internal organs, all with no scar tissue or virtually no scar tissue.

Here's another article specifically about those mice: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4888080.stm