Ugly, plain, & good looking werewolves (psyche reflectio

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Ugly, plain, & good looking werewolves (psyche reflectio

Post by Rhuen »

In movie and such I have noticed that when a werewolf is good it tends to look better.

if its evil its ugly, and if its simply a curse tormented soul it tends to be inbetween.

Would this be a reflection of the cursed own mind, the strain having that effect on the person. or just rejet this concept completly as a reflection of the film maker as out-dated.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The doomed Chocolate lover.
Mood: Happy

Post by Blue-eyes in the dark »

yes. :lol:
Reading an distributing copies of "The Werewolf's Guide to Life: a Manuel for the newly bitten" Help, where it's needed.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

What movie did you see where the werewolf was good?
Black Claw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Hidden Archer
Mood: Excited

Post by Black Claw »

One of the best is the Bad Moon werewolf, the TF sucked though. :howl:  :oo
I am the guardian of the light and darkness,
I am the one who whispers in the dark,
I am the eyes of your soul,
I am the shield,
I am the sword.
Night_Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: My cross to bare

Post by Night_Hunter »

what about a bad ww that turns good

does he need plastic surgery?
OH FOR GOD'S SAKE YOU HAVE RABIES TOO ?!!?

Read my stuff at:
http://nightfiction.blogspot.com/
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Berserker wrote:What movie did you see where the werewolf was good?
physically looking,

Shewolf of London looked more wolf like (especially for its time), and even inside a movie "Van Helsing" the bad ones looked like gorillas with dog masks while Van Helsing himself more closely resembled the werewolves of the internet.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

I guess people always equate "beast-like" with "evil" and so they try to make evil characters more animalistic.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

It's a Hollywood technique. When it comes to things that are different, one part of the human brain is entranced by the mystery of it and drawn closer, while another part of the human brain fears the unknown and rejects it. Depending on which they want the audience to do.

If the werewolf is a protagonist, for example, the developers will try to make the werewolf appear, more human, more expressive, more familiar, and more appealing to slant things more towards the positive reaction. If the werewolf is meant to be feared, or at least disliked by the audience, on the other hand, then they will intentionally make it more grotesque and less recognizable as being either wolf or man so that the audience won't relate to it, or worse, even begin to favor the villain over the protagonist (can you say "Sephiroth?").

So yeah, in reality, it wouldn't work that way.
shiftergirl
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: alphness wolf of the moonlit pack

Post by shiftergirl »

back then people thought ww's were people in disgises and so the only way they could make then scaryer is if they made the wolf half of the human more man then wolf. in van helsing you see what the wolf would realy look like if they could walk like humans. i think that ww's should have three forms, human, half wolf half human, and wolf.
When i roar you run, When i purr you laugh, When i cry you weep.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

I agree with Terastas, in that it's mostly a Hollywood thing to identify whether the Wulf is good or evil or just a jerk with fur.
We respond to people and animals depending on their appearance as much as anything. If the Werewolf is a good-guy, then said Werewolf will have "noble" and "friendly" visual clues in their construction, while the nasties will look...nasty.
Bluntly; a Werewolf (neuter-you can't see their gender) will look like a German Shepherd or a Husky if they're good, and sort of rat-like if they're evil. Put a pair of big shoulders on said Wulf, and HE is a guy. Hide a pair of melons under the chest fur and SHE is a female. Make the markings nice and distinct, and they're good; blur them or make them pointy and dark; and then they're evil.
It's "Black Hats" and "White Hats" (cowboy movies) visual cues that determine whether we see the Wulf as a goodie or a baddie.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Rosiewolf »

Alos, it would probably depend on what the director thought that the werewolf were to look like, if the director was basing the werewolf's look off of old movies, or just inventing their own werewolf.

But I do have to agree with RedEye, Terastas, and Kzinistzerg.
Take my advice-- I don't use it anyway
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Well, there is an exception to this idea in Teen Wolf in that the werewolves were good in that movie but man oh man did the designs look fugly. But that's probably the lone exception.
XIV
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Dreamer wrote:Well, there is an exception to this idea in Teen Wolf in that the werewolves were good in that movie but man oh man did the designs look fugly. But that's probably the lone exception.
I'd have to disagree, they didn't look "evil nasty" they just looked goofy, none threatning goofy for the comedy effect.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Dreamer wrote:Well, there is an exception to this idea in Teen Wolf in that the werewolves were good in that movie but man oh man did the designs look fugly. But that's probably the lone exception.
Yes, the designs were ugly, but they were predominantly designed that way because it was cheap. :P

The only exception I could think of was Professor Lupin from Harry Potter. But they did that "lost to the beast" thing, so it's really more of a gray area.

Hmmm. . . Quazimoto werewolf. . . Sounds corny, but I think we're due for one. :wink: