Too "Eccentric" for 'Casual' fans? ...a problem?

The place for anything at all...
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Too "Eccentric" for 'Casual' fans? ...a problem?

Post by Vuldari »

Something crossed my mind a while ago that I thought I should share.
This Website and it's forums seem to have been adopted by a majotity of "Fur-Centric" Were Fans. Now, it occurs to me that if a more casual Monster Movie Fan browsed to this site planning on providing his or her own opinion on the project, (the kind of person who could not care less if the Wolves have tails or not, or the pattern of the fur, etc.), they might take one quick look at the posts here ("would You get a Real Tail?"), and think, "OMG Furries!!!...", prompting them to leave quickly and not provide any insight at all.
Sometimes us Furs forget that we are even more Scary than Werewolves to some people. :oops:
I think this project needs those peoples input as much as anyone elses if it is to be successful. How can we get more of those people to stick around? Any thoughts? :?:
Last edited by Vuldari on Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Silverfang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silverfang »

Heh, Werewolf fan here, but i'm very particall to classic cars and motorsport, rock music, DVDs and films, PCs etc etc :P
*When you're down... howl*
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

ShadowFang wrote:
I woulden't think twice about shedding this blasted human skin.
I wouldn't recommend doing that.
Do you have any idea about how hard house-keeping becomes when not only do your pets shed everywhere around the house, but you, too?
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Apokryltaros wrote: Do you have any idea about how hard house-keeping becomes when not only do your pets shed everywhere around the house, but you, too?

Actually, I DO shed as much as my dog does... :oops: ...but that's just because I'm really hairy.

*ahem*

Back to the topic, I've actually been noticing that the distribution of Fan-Types is a little more balanced than I originally thought around the forums. I'm glad. Variety is good.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Here are my sentiments:

Input for this movie should only be provided by those that participate. No offense, but anyone that's going to reject the opportunity to influence the production of a movie with loads of potential just because a couple of furries or two have contributed already... Probably wouldn't have provided any good ideas in the first place.

Basically, we shouldn't go out of our way to get feedback that someone doesn't want to provide. Furries like myself would have registered and posted our ideas even if it looked like the SomethingAwful.com groupies had overrun the forum; we REALLY care about this movie. Why should we stop providing our feedback so we can get additional feedback from people that currently couldn't give a crap less?
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Those are very sagely words, Terastas.
I agree that, if a fan (or group of fans) doesn't bother to join, we shouldn't worry about their potential input.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Terastas wrote: Why should we stop providing our feedback so we can get additional feedback from people that currently couldn't give a crap less?
I never suggested that "we" should stop providing our own opinions. Rather, I was just thinking about the fact that the majority of the target audience are Not Furs, and so,(ideally), the balance of input should be closer that of the viewer base.

Terastas makes a good point though.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

I myself, am a fur, albeit, a conservative one. However I realize that I'm a definite minority, so I'm keeping this fact in mind when I'm giving feedback.

Horror/thriller fans, have come to expect werewolves to be scary, I have no problem with that, and have been offering my input based on the ideas that werewolves have to meet this criteria.

So the fact that furs are contributing, shouldn't be a problem as long as we keep in mind that this is a werewolf film and not a furry one.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

WolvenOne wrote:I myself, am a fur, albeit, a conservative one. However I realize that I'm a definite minority, so I'm keeping this fact in mind when I'm giving feedback.

Horror/thriller fans, have come to expect werewolves to be scary, I have no problem with that, and have been offering my input based on the ideas that werewolves have to meet this criteria.

So the fact that furs are contributing, shouldn't be a problem as long as we keep in mind that this is a werewolf film and not a furry one.
An exelent attitude. I have been trying to do the same. As a Furry enthusiast myself, I know I would love to see a "Furrier" film, but that is not what this is. This is a WereWolf Suspense Thriller,(or whatever it turns out ot be), so I would like to see it become the best WWST it can be.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
akujiwolf

Post by akujiwolf »

Hmmm.... well there is the General Info forum which shouldn't be "scary". Really only the top thread is "scary" in terms of conversation but I don't think people go OMG furries and run off crying. The discussion on furries doesn't really get brought up and it says on the main page what the site is about, etc. I wouldn't worry about it but if it gets to be a problem I'll talk with CB about it.
~Request Entertainment Member~ (we get T-Shirts!) Also if there is a problem that you feel needs to be addressed please contact me immediately.
Xodiac
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xodiac »

Terastas wrote:Here are my sentiments:

Input for this movie should only be provided by those that participate. No offense, but anyone that's going to reject the opportunity to influence the production of a movie with loads of potential just because a couple of furries or two have contributed already... Probably wouldn't have provided any good ideas in the first place.
Good advice. But I'm left wondering... how can advice be offered by someone who does NOT participate? Isn't offering advice the essence of participating, here?

Maybe this should be a new Zen Koan...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Xodiac wrote:Good advice. But I'm left wondering... how can advice be offered by someone who does NOT participate? Isn't offering advice the essence of participating, here?
Exactly. :wink:

As for the consent of the B-movie fan base... Well, were I a producer, I wouldn't worry too much about their input for three reasons.

First, one of the first things we determined at this forum was that we didn't want the werewolves to be stereotypical B-movie monsters, so in a sense, a B-movie fan's ideas could mostly be borrowed from other werewolf movies -- the ones we despise like Underworld and Van Helsing.

Second, studios already produce movies at a steady rate for the B-movie audience, so the finished product of Devoured might not mean as much to them as it would to a furry or a werekin. This is the first time to my knowledge that a writer has ever consulted a fanbase, but the list of B-movies that have been made is endless. Getting the opinion of a group that is already catered to could possibly turn Devoured into more of a typical B-movie, which would pretty much defeat the purpose of this forum since a studio statistics analyst could just as easily provide the same information.

Finally, and most importantly, what I've noticed among B-movie fans is that they really aren't that picky. My brother and step-brother are both B-movie fans, and the opinion they share is that it doesn't really matter what movie they go to, what kind of monster it's about, or for that matter, even how good or bad the script and/or special effects are. The reason is that if it's a good movie, they think of it as a horror, and if it's a bad movie, they laugh at how bad it is. Regardless of the movie's content, the B-movie audience will inevitably participate.
In fact, the concept of a werewolf movie inspired with the assistance of "real life werekin" would likely seem more appealing, especially compared to one inspired by typical B-movie fans. As was already stated above, the studios have already made a formula of what the B-movie fans want.

So... I guess the point I'm trying to make is that a lot of B-movie fans will want to watch this movie anyway, regardless of wether it's influenced by statistics or werewolf fanatics. I'm not saying they shouldn't participate, just that we shouldn't worry about wether they'll like it or not. Wether they think it's a good horror or so bad it's a comedy is irrelevant -- either way, they'll watch it.
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

This will not be a B movie by the time I'm done with it. It may have an appearance at first, but its going far beyond that in script. I love the input, and its very helpful, but I'm not going to just make a list and write a script based on that.

What this story means to me, is know thyself... with power comes responsability, and control.

The performances MUST be top knotch. and no silly dialogue lines. I want this as a real movie, something I can lose myself into, and hopefully the audiences as well. The key to hitting the main stream in this is to give them someone/something to relate to. The moonstruck are gonna be the ones that get to see the tails/claws/teeth/stance/gender/etc. that they've been talking about. The general audience might not even care about a tail or not.

Anthony Brownrigg
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

ABrownrigg wrote:This will not be a B movie by the time I'm done with it. It may have an appearance at first, but its going far beyond that in script. I love the input, and its very helpful, but I'm not going to just make a list and write a script based on that.

What this story means to me, is know thyself... with power comes responsability, and control.

The performances MUST be top knotch. and no silly dialogue lines. I want this as a real movie, something I can lose myself into, and hopefully the audiences as well. The key to hitting the main stream in this is to give them someone/something to relate to. The moonstruck are gonna be the ones that get to see the tails/claws/teeth/stance/gender/etc. that they've been talking about. The general audience might not even care about a tail or not.

Anthony Brownrigg

8)
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Terastas wrote: So... I guess the point I'm trying to make is that a lot of B-movie fans will want to watch this movie anyway, regardless of wether it's influenced by statistics or werewolf fanatics. I'm not saying they shouldn't participate, just that we shouldn't worry about wether they'll like it or not. Wether they think it's a good horror or so bad it's a comedy is irrelevant -- either way, they'll watch it.
Good point...very good point. :idea:

=^.^'= ~
artman
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by artman »

ReQuest Entertainment VP
LoupGarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LoupGarou »

If i may say on behalf of everyone else here,that it's pleasure to be part of a project that most of us werefans have been waiting for a very looooong time.
And thanks for listening to the fans.
"The Wolf in Me...desires the Sheep in you."
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

(chuckle)

Why anyone would want to meet me in person I have no idea. But hey, Its all part of the biz. See ya at A-Kon.

It will be a good learning experience.

Anthony
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Thank you for listening to all our ideas and opinions. I dont know of any other film makers who has ever done anything like that before. :D

(And dont forget to consider Anthrocon! The more reasons for me to go, the better! 8) )
LoupGarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LoupGarou »

I could burst into tears right now! :cry:
:P
"The Wolf in Me...desires the Sheep in you."
Silver
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silver »

I think that asking the fans what they want is a bit scary. I mean, finding out what will sell a movie? Finding out what the people who will be buying - or not buying - the tickets want? Reading all their comments and considering them? Looking at their art, and what art THEY look at?

Only, it's never been done that I know of.

Well wether they have the funds for a huge X-Men type production, or the funds to make the wolf suits from stuff they bought at the thrift store....at least they're asking the fans.
ShadowFang
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by ShadowFang »

Just the fact that at least these guys are asking us what we want and not telling us what we want easilly merits my money for this movie a hundread fold.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

A-Konite and Wolvesbane

Post by Scott Gardener »

:o A-Kon?!? I go there every year! I'll see you there!

I'll probably just be me, but if I had the budget and time, I'd consider cosplaying Boma from Heat Guy J, since I often spend a good part of A-Kon running around, trying to find my sister...
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Sorry for resurecting one of the most ancient threads on the board, but the statement I made way back in 2004 with this is still a big concern for me, and something that I fear most or all of us are completely ingnoring...

...or are entirely Oblivious to...

I'm constanly encountering people around here claiming that, "We the Pack" represent the MAJORITY opinion of werewolf and werewolf movie fans worldwide.

...and it seems that I am one of the only ones here who is aware of the fact that this claim is complete Bull$***.

The vast majority of us here are either Therians, Furries, or some other sort of social outcast who clings to the ideas of power and stength of the WereWolf as a favorite way to imagine getting back at the bullies that we have been tormented by most of our lives and lacked the strength and courage to fight back against. That's cool...I can relate...I've been there.

...but you must realise...we are NOT like the core majority of Werewolf fans...not even close. The majority of Werewolf fans are the mass of people standing in the middle of the room...popular...aggresive...unafraid to speak thier mind in public.

...we, on the other hand, are the group of outcast geeks hiding in the corner, conspiring amongst ourselves against the masses to get back at them for unfairly shunning us for having opinons that are not "Cool" to them.

We are not the voice of what "MOST" werewolf fans want. We are the voice of a small, select group of trailblazers fighting against the majority to see our New vision come to life. ...and we are geeks...

Normal people are afraid of us. They see us making big deals about "Fur" and "Tails" and openly admitting that some of us think werewolves are HOT, and run away from the "Kinky Furry People".

There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of werewolf fans out there that are NOT Therians or Furries... but not many people like that are here.

The ratio of types of opinons here is WAY off balance. We do not represent ALL werewolf fans...just two or three different, uncommon kinds.

I LOVE "The Pack". I have never encountered a group of people online whose ideas, opinions and personalities were so much fun to mingle with. I want to be a "trailblazer" too.

...but as a freind... to my friends...I feel obligated to pull this blindfold off of our eyes so that we can see who we really are.

We are not the voice of the people...we are the voice of a Left-Field revolution.

Being aware of this will save some of us from some future conflicts and embarrasment.

(Honestly...claiming that "Most People" agree with us just makes us look dilusional.)

----------------------------------------------------------------

I realise that much of this is insulting, and I am very, very sorry about that. Image.

To me, it is like being at a party and realising that someone put their dress on backwards, or have had something nasty stuck in thier teeth all night, or forgot to use deoderant and smell really bad, or have been wandering around telling people a story about how President J. Edgar Hoover fought in the American civil war (getting his name mixed up with someone elses), or some other thing like that.

It is tempting to just keep your mouth shut and not embarrass them by pointing it out in public...but on the other hand, even so, you feel obligated, as a freind, to say something.

To the claim "We The Pack Represent the majority of Werewolf fans, and their preferences and opinons", this is me tapping on your shoulder and saying..."...*cough*...ummm...no we don't. No we're not.".

=^.^'= ~
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Vuldari wrote:I realise that much of this is insulting, and I am very, very sorry about that. Image
I didn't find it insulting at all. 'Course, I'm weird, so you may have said the most offensive thing in the world. (You didn't, but I have a point in there somewhere...)
Vuldari wrote:To the claim "We The Pack Represent the majority of Werewolf fans, and their preferences and opinons", this is me tapping on your shoulder and saying..."...*cough*...ummm...no we don't. No we're not.".
Erm, I may be mistaken, but I don't recall anyone here saying that. Or are you basing this on the attitudes we display?