A-Kon 19

General convention type stuff.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Silverclaw wrote::( :( :( :( :(
I wasn't suppose to go to A-kon 18 as well.

Since I was a "new hire" at Exxon, my boss let me break up my vacation days. All I needed was 3 days. So.....3 days I got.

I can't break up my vacation days next year. I HAVE to take the full week. The other driver needs that week so he can be at his daughter's graduation June 1st, 2008.

And no.....I can't call in sick. That trick doesn't work at Exxon. If I do that, I need a doctor's excuse to return to work.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

That is really a sad shame.. I was hoping to see ya again next year.. I was hoping to see everyone I saw this year an then some.. Too bad there isn't a way to do this :(
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Ah, crap!

Post by Scott Gardener »

We'll definitely miss you, Fig. You're an essential fixture here, and The Pack at A-Kon won't be the same without you.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Well Folks me an Z decided we're not going to A-kon this year, so maybe some other time when things are better on both our sides
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Man, I hate to hear that.... :/
Honestly I don't know if I'm going either. Last year just wasn't much fun for me. The only part I really enjoyed was hanging out with you guys in the room drawing.
I am thinking of trying to go to Rocky Mountain Furmeet this summer instead.
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: TV!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mood: RAR!

Post by *nagowteena* »

:o awwww, that sucks, then I guess I won't go this year, probably didn't have much of a chance anyway. :( be spending a lot of money on a car.

so I guess next year, I really did look forward to meeting you guys.
Image Image
Yeah, that hits the spot..DeviantArt ~ Youtube Avatar by Z
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary

A-kon is just to pricey when we are already struggling with funds. Just can't risk being screwed over. It seems to be happening all to often lately :(
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

This sucks; I understand the cost versus enjoyment consideration. A-Kon is pretty expensive. Joker and Pariah, I'll miss you. Tell Z I'll miss her, too. Nagowteena, sorry I won't get the chance to see you or your new costume.

So, who is still going? I'm still in.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise

Post by Kaebora »

I'm going, but I don't know if I'm going for the entire event or not. Probably just one day, Saturday.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Storyteller and Artist
Mood: Angry

Post by Avareis »

I'd like to meet all of you guys, but I get scared easily around people. Being around a whole lot of people is uncomfortable to me. That and I don't have a suit or anything like that. So, its kind of awkward in that I won't be as participating as others would.
I've seen videos on YouTube that show members of this community at the event. There is no doubt that fun is had by all.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

I am the same way. I have social anxiety and large groups of people really freak me out. Interestingly enough though, when I'm in costume, it doesn't bother me. The suit provedes a buffer between me and everyone else, so I can even handle hugs from random people because they are not hugging me, they are hugging the suit. :3
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I guess I wont be going this year too.

It is expensive, so when I do get to come, I'd like to see as many Pack members as possible. (thats the whole reason I went in the first place :) )
Maybe next year I'll go if more of you all come as well :D
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

Still committed to going. I'll miss all of you who can't make it. Maybe we can rebuild and shoot for A-Kon 20 together? I agree that 18 was a bit of a flop as far as Pack activities; the best parts were the hanging out and drawing sessions and the get-together the night before the actual convention. We lacked the cohesiveness we had for 17 and 16.

Maybe as Freeborn gains momentum and goes from concept to production, we'll see that cohesiveness again. In the mean time, let's keep our own flames burning, so to speak.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

So far, it's Cathey and me, Kaebora, and, well, not much of anyone else. Looks like it won't be much of a Pack event this time around. I'm hopeful that Anthony and Silver will be there, though I'm pretty sure they will be, since Silver is their programming coordinator and Anthony hosts several panels on film-making.

They could have copies of Red Victoria there. Perhaps we can figure out some sort of proxy distribution system, so those of us going can get copies for those unable to make it. It went for $20 at Texas Frightmare Weekend; if they have more copies at A-Kon, I don't know if it'll be the same price or not.
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Another friend of mine is going, but she doesn't have much of an interest in werewolves except to the extent that they appear in books she likes... although she enjoys Jane Lindskold's wolf books as much as I do.

She's also American, so that doesn't solve the Red Victoria distribution problem either.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise

Post by Kaebora »

The final say, is that I'm not going to attend A-Kon 19. Last year it was because my family needed me to watch the dog while THEY vacationed. This year, its because I'm still jobless and nearly broke.
:(
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

I may or may not be there with the LoneStarFurs.
I wouldn't mind getting to say hi to Scott and Cathy again, hopefully hang out a bit with Silverclaw and Teena. :)
But I probably will not be around the Pack too much other than that been screwed over by too many people.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

It doesn't look like it'll be a Pack event this year anyway. We'll still have the Brownriggs, since Anthony is listed as a guest and his wife Silver is one of the people running the thing.

PariahPoet, I'll keep an eye out for you. Everyone else, likewise. Wish more were coming. Still, if I can't go to see the Pack, I'll go for all the other reasons I've been going for the past 15 years or so, because it's a fun event.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

One week to go, and we're really excited! All... two... or three of us. My wife Cathey has even decided to bail, except for Sunday. Oh well. If I don't get to see much of The Pack, I'll still still get to see A-Kon itself--the J-Pop dances, the Japanese rock concerts, video gaming, and maybe even watching some Anime this time around. And, let's not forget the blindfolded guy poking at musical poles with a giant Q-Tip.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Ok guys, so what did I miss?
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

As a convention, it was great. But, as a Pack event, it wasn't much, with the notable exception of a Red Victoria screening that, once again, played to a packed house. DVDs were on sale, but they sold out completely early Sunday. Anthony was usually absent from the Kurv Entertainment booth where the DVDs were selling; he was running ragged throughout the convention, hosting the art auction, running panels, and even filling in for Meri Davis, the convention's main director, for opening ceremonies.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Hopefully we can all get toghter again next year. And have big Pack meetings and stuff :)
I had fun when I went.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Silverclaw wrote:Hopefully we can all get toghter again next year. And have big Pack meetings and stuff :)
I had fun when I went.
The only thing standing in my way is a driver who has more seniority than me picking the week I need for his vacation.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Silverclaw wrote:Hopefully we can all get toghter again next year. And have big Pack meetings and stuff :)
I had fun when I went.
I would be up for meeting up next year too if money isn't an issue like it is now :(
cjkrythos
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Full Moon Librarian

Post by cjkrythos »

Dear lord, you folks host a con in an Adam's mark too???? AC used to host in the Philly area one, and we were blessed with soggy carpets in our hotel rooms, bouncing elevators(called them bungee-vators), and a cramped venue. I would hope yours is in better shape than our hotel was. Though, even with all the mishaps, I do miss the old Adam's Mark building. With all the crap that would go wrong, the old girl added her own flare to the con. Funny, I came across my old hotel room cardkey from my trip to AC when it was in Philly. Im gonna seal it away with the rest of my AC memories.

So, do your elevators die as often as ours? we manage to kill at least one elevator by the end of the second day every year, even at the new location.