The place for anything at all...
Distorted Realism
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Thinking with portals

Contraversial

Post by Distorted Realism »

I try to avoid Contarversial topics...
If sleep is an escape for us, than we are all cowards. We spend one third of our life trying to get away...
-The Dark Dimension
Gevaudan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Music Lover
Additional Details: Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Mood: Happy

Post by Gevaudan »

Is this thread strictly for public schools? I'm wondering this because I go to a Catholic private school where priests are commonplace, Catholic holidays are celebrated in Masses, time is set aside for prayer during the day, and religion is a separate class (and NO, we do not focus solely on Christianity; we discuss Hebrew scriptures, other religions, moral/ethical issues, and philosophy, as well as the controversies surrounding Christianity).

At my school, religion is publicly displayed as part of the curriculum and as central to the core values of the school. People choose to go there knowing this, and it is a part of our rules to let in anyone regardless of race, country of origin, or religious preference (but not gender, we're all men). We somehow maintain a balance between explaining Catholic values and doctrine and maintaining individuality and personal beliefs. We want people to be "religiously oriented," not "Catholic fundamentalist." Although I have to admit, most of the people at my school were Catholic before going there.

I guess what I'm asking is if there is a way for a person to remain unchanged on their beliefs and ideas, regardless of what they are taught.

However, their teaching worked for me; I'm Catholic. :P
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Gevaudan wrote:Is this thread strictly for public schools?
Yes. Private schools are different, because people CHOOSE to send their kids there. It's not forced on them by the government like public school is.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Religion may not belong in politics, but I can guarantee you a politician is INFUENCED by his/her beliefs and those beliefs make it into everyday decisions whether they know it or not.

So in reality there isn't much you CAN do outside of electing nothing but agnostics and atheists.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Re: Contraversial

Post by Terastas »

Distorted Realism wrote:I try to avoid Contarversial topics...
Then why'd you post in it?

*sings*
Spam, spam, spam, spam
Spam, spam, spam, spam
Lovely spa-a-a-am! Wonderful spa-a-a-am!
Lovely spa-a-a-am! Wonderful spa-a-a-am!
Howlitzer
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: yradnegeL

Post by Howlitzer »

Fried spam is good...
spam and cheese sandwiches
spam kabobs
spam stew
spam and beans
spam burgers.....
Gevaudan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Music Lover
Additional Details: Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Mood: Happy

Post by Gevaudan »

You mean spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam and spam?
Last edited by Gevaudan on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

Getting back on track...

The problem is, Islam, by its nature is exteme. You have Muslims who are Muslim only by relation, you have Muslims who are middle of the road, and you have Muslims who follow literally every word of the Quran to a T. The Quran was written in extreme times, for extreme circumstances. Both the Muslims by relation and Muslims who are middle of the road take that into consideration.

Muhammed's goal was to stamp out all other religions (while he did give protection to both Christians and Jews, of which was later removed during the Ottoman Empire) and make Islam the only religion, and that was done by force. While some ignorant skeptics will argue that "Christians" did just this with the inquisition, if they really studied the Bible, and especially the life of Christ, it wasn't and isn't Biblical to force anyone to convert, as Christianity is a religion of self and not the mass. In short Jesus did not advocate forcing anyone to be a Christian... Muhammed demanded that all of his people convert to Islam.

The goal to a Muslim, who follows the Quran to a T, is to force the entire world to into Islam. In short, the Taliban, would rule the world.

PC wishes to white wash Islam as a non-extreme religion, when by its nature it is extreme. Another disturbing factor is that this movement was largely brought about by pro-Muslim organizations, instead of independent thinkers. If America wishes to create its own home grown terrorists and indoctrinate children into that way of thinking, then we might as well kiss our freedom good-bye.