Second Life

The place to discuss things relating specifically to The Pack
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Second Life

Post by ABrownrigg »

I've been asked to explore second Life by a producer who is really into 'the pack' concept. While Red Victoria goes to a studio this next month :P and Freeborn talks ramp up again, i''ve got a couple weeks off, and thinking about making a packs den on SEcond Life.

I'm roaming around there for the next week or two as Venice Tauber.

http://www.secondlife.com
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Sounds cool :D

Wish I didn't have dial-up :(
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Spongy »

I signed up for an account literally just this morning. I'll start messing around with it once all the hullaballoo about Final Exams is over.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

No! Anthony no! It'll suck you in and never let you out!!!
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

That. . . Actually sounds like a decent idea. From a marketing perspective I mean. Freeborn was inspired by an online community after all, so why not advertise it at another major online community? Might be a possible financial benefit too -- you can exchange Lindendollars for actual money after all.

It's been a while since I've played Second Life (I probably need to re-download it), but the last time I was on, I was on as Terastas Massiel.
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Busy

Post by takyoji »

Wouldn't you have to pay for hosting though since I haven't really found anything involving hosting it ourselves. Otherwise it seems like a decent idea. I've never actually used Second Life myself (*gasp*, they have a Linux version! *uses it*).

Ironically it seems that they have open source protocols for Second Life (haven't found deep specifics though) yet I haven't came across a publicly available server daemon for hosting our own realm, thus I'm assuming only paid hosting would be the option. Again, I haven't tried Second Life yet, but might do so in a little bit.
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Well Anthony, I've been making big bucks in SL doing commissioned work for contractors. (It tapered down in buisness lately, but meh, what er ya gonna do.) If you get a friend request from Kaebora Quinnell, be sure and accept it. I'd be more than willing to show you everything you'd want to know about Second Life, and what pitfalls to avoid. I'll even show you the steps I took to procure land, and how it's maintained.

We've been discussing lots of stuff regarding bringing Pack members into SL in this thread...
http://www.thepack.network/thepackboard ... php?t=4035
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

I simply don't have the time to visit Second Life. I'm at the point where I don't have the time to visit this forum. :(
tyger
Legendary
Legendary

Post by tyger »

I'm a professional loaf about!
Ebony
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Mood: Happy

Post by Ebony »

Am there too, but I can`t go pass the training thing. Have done eveything that I need, but I just can`t get the las green bit. Have been driving the car and run over some rats and I have been flying with the red arrows but I just don`t get the last green bit.
dont know what more to do :?
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Ebony wrote:dont know what more to do :?
Go to View > Mini Map if you don't have it yet. its the shortcut to getting your world map. Double click the new mini-map it and you can browse the SL world. To find a more specific place to explore, go to Edit > Search > "Places" tab, and type in what you're interested in seeing. For example, I might type in "Stargate", to get areas that are related to that TV show. You then teleport to these places and begin looking around.

To really dive into the game, you would want to learn how to build items, architecture, vehicles, and other things. If building isn't your thing, you can spend money on buying items other people have made that suit what you're looking for. You can then buy land to put a home or place for you and your friends to hang out at. Or just mooch off of someone else that allows you to use their land. If you treat SL like a platform for a multitude of things to do, you'll enjoy it. If you treat it like a chat room, like many people do... you may get bored fast.

And remember, the orientation island isn't required. You can skip it and immediately go to other places.
Last edited by Kaebora on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

See you guys around. I'm Pariah Tigerpaw.
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living

Post by Lukas »

should start adding more people :P

but yeah, you don't need to be a builder and stuff but i found my niche in the game, just play it IN MODERATE TIMES, NO 8 HOUR SESSION! that is all P
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Ebony
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Mood: Happy

Post by Ebony »

Kaebora wrote:
Ebony wrote:dont know what more to do :?
Go to View > Mini Map if you don't have it yet. its the shortcut to getting your world map. Double click the new mini-map it and you can browse the SL world. To find a more specific place to explore, go to Edit > Search > "Places" tab, and type in what you're interested in seeing. For example, I might type in "Stargate", to get areas that are related to that TV show. You then teleport to these places and begin looking around.

To really dive into the game, you would want to learn how to build items, architecture, vehicles, and other things. If building isn't your thing, you can spend money on buying items other people have made that suit what you're looking for. You can then buy land to put a home or place for you and your friends to hang out at. Or just mooch off of someone else that allows you to use their land. If you treat SL like a platform for a multitude of things to do, you'll enjoy it. If you treat it like a chat room, like many people do... you may get bored fast.

And remember, the orientation island isn't required. You can skip it and immediately go to other places.
thanks for the help :D

I'm Selene Burnstein in there :D
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Post by IndianaJones »

Second-Life no work for me. I prefer the Sims 2. I wish I can join though.
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living

Post by Lukas »

IndianaJones wrote:Second-Life no work for me. I prefer the Sims 2. I wish I can join though.
yes agreed, i enjoy hearing debates in somewhat real time manner :) anyway i remember you saying awhile back SL was not the game for you anywya
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

OK, i finally, finally ended up with a cell phone and a ipod. But Second Life is too much for me. Have fun guys, let me know if I miss anything!
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Two things I guess...

We had our own realm running for awhile at Paradice (we were experimenting / toying around / having fun), and I have been a member of SL. However, I don't have time to be active in it. Too many other things grabbing at my attention.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook