Why Americans REALLY hate the green movement :}

The place for anything at all...
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Re:

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

RedEye wrote:As long as we Americans buy and drive apartments on wheels called SUV's and Mini-Vans, these itty bitty cars are going to be rolling coffins.

There are people who legitimately need big cars, but they are not the people who usually buy these SUV's. Mostly, these boats are status markings or compensation; not transportation. What's even worse is the fact that these vehicles are usually single occupant cars...not what they were developed for, but what they are used for.

Gas will even things out. As the prices rise, these road palaces will become less affordable to own and keep...unless they're diesel. Diesel is very much overlooked here in the U.S. Pity, that; they're much more efficient and you can get more Diesel out of a barrel of crude than you can Gasoline.

In Europe, one thing the people don't have are Automobile Cities; where the car is the only transport, and urban sprawl makes even going to the store a fifteen minute drive. There, towns and cities are more foot friendly and there are a web of interconnected transport services that make cars optional as transport. There are more scooters and mopeds, too; and they are safer to use over there. Drivers watch for them. Here, a scooter/moped/cyclist/motorcyclist is either invisible or the drivers just don't care. If you were important, you'd own a car, not a bike.

We'll get there. It won't be fun, but we'll get there. :(
Also heard that a deisel engine could be made to run used cooking oil from resteraunts... seriously, some guy was actually doing that too... would suck if you were hungry though... the car would smell like that last thing you cooked in it... oh, and they did that on mythbusters, and it turned out to be true. :D
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Re: Why Americans REALLY hate the green movement :}

Post by RedEye »

I had a chance to watch Matt's* air-powered French car that he started this thread with.
Not only does it look like a praying mantis's head, it sounds like the worst case of "wind" you can imagine. Maybe the production models will have some sort of muffler installed, but the one on the television was obnoxious in the amount of noise it made...you won't creep up on a suspected Werewolf with one of these cars (unless he's paralyzed with laughter). :roflmao:
You're right, Matt: they won't make a dent on these shores.
*Matt's "Boone County" from the first post on this thread. Matt has a knack for finding tha funny.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
cjkrythos
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Full Moon Librarian

Post by cjkrythos »

motorcycles are easier to work with. more maneuverable, plenty of gas efficiency, and though they cant fit everything in them that you would in a full size vehicle, you can always use a sidecar and some saddlebags to give yourself more space. Plus they are probably cheaper and easier to maintain.

CJ
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Heh....this one is funnier.

*Joins Opus and the gang and moons the Exxon poster on the wall*

Oh wait....I work for Exxon.

(Not for long if they sell thier stupid stores.) 9.9
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Woo-Hoo! That "status-symbol cat" is really something. Four feet high? Forget the catbox; just fill the tub with litter. :lol:

This cat would probably be a good security system, too. :o

Edit: While the Boone County pic is funny; the so-called "plug-in" car will most likely take a lot more juice than standard 120 or 240 vac can provide.
I suspect that all electric cars will use a specific-(as in you must buy that "Special" charger) to-the-vehicle recharge source, but on the up-side; it'll probably do a recharge in thirty minutes. :behappy:
I just wish they didn't look like insect heads, though. :(
Last edited by RedEye on Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Figarou's post's appearance and local mutability
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

I am seriously considering getting the air car... as long as it isn't some bullshit hybrid gasoline vehicle.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Kaebora wrote:I am seriously considering getting the air car... as long as it isn't some bullshit hybrid gasoline vehicle.
Arghhh! You know they sound like an old VW with a leaky exhaust valve and a bad muffler, don't you? :lol:

Ahh, well; everybody will know where you are...and how fast you're going.
:roflmao:
O Pianista
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Malkavian Prince

Post by O Pianista »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BckslYFcfE

Sorry for portuguese subtitles... I saw the 5 states there... and here they are :B