"Mated" Werewolves

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

"Mated" Werewolves

Post by Anubis »

I Think we never discussed this before.

How would a relationship between a "mated" werewolf couple would be like?

In my fiction...

The main character is mated over twenty years with a born "werewolf" female. Their relationship is pretty same like a human's but it's pretty much about balance of power. The main character is a powerful military leader and "dominates" like a alpha male would. His mate is the same way and before they were "married" she's considered a ballbuster (still is a ballbuster), and scares (and still scares) the living crap out of harden males.

Now leads to they strange dynamics of their relationship. believe it or not "fear" is pretty much keeps the balance of power in check, and thus keep their life together happy.

What i mean is the main character is extremely powerful he's the most powerful man of their race (not just politically), and can destroy immortals. His mate knows what he is capable of and gives him space. despite her knowledge that he would never do anything to hurt her.

She is the only one who actually puts the fear of god into her husband. When she is mad, or unsatisfied she lets every one know it, she's like the drill Sargent from basic, but with a nice set of boobs :wink: . some how the main character finds this to be a turn on.
THE GAME

My Armory
Infinite_Path
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: Time's Riverbed

Post by Infinite_Path »

I don't think that a mated pair of weres would be much different than a normal human pairing. Both wolves and humans are monogamous, and aparrently think firmly enough along the same lines that dogs happened.
Life is like Pi, it goes forever, yet never repeats. (and is best served with ice cream)
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I can only assume that mated werewolves would exist similarly to human marriages. Werewolves marry who they love, half of them get divorced, etc etc.

But on furthur inspection, going along the lines that werewolves have a much smaller population than humans, werewolves are probably furthur encouraged to stay with their mate until their young is fully raised -- the joint parentage of the werewolves would better enable the teaching, handling, and hiding of pups of an otherwise dying race. Furthurmore, if a werewolf were to divorce, finding another acceptable mate could be difficult without relocation.

Otherwise, in the story line I'm working on, werewolves refuse to wear rings (for obvious reasons) and instead forego the wedding ring for tattoos placed in areas that are unlikely to stretch. This is not only more safer, but encourages life long mating.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

In my stories, there are two sorts of "official" mating.

Joining: The pair declare that they are mated in front of their pack or Council. The male is "father" to any children the female has, regardless of actual sire. This is like marriage; in fact many Wulfen get married as well as Joined, to cover all bases should there be questions.

The Bond: Two Wulfen are literally merged into "Two bodies, Two souls, one Spirit." They are utterly faithful to each other, sharing in ways that Smoothskins can barely understand. They tend to die at the same time as well, and re-incarnate together to repeat the discovery all over again.

Then, there's always "Shacking Up". Since the female has two heats a year, those are the only times she can get pregnant, and Shackers take herbs to prevent pregnancy (unless they want children and the almost obligatory Joining).
Joining is not principally for the two who are Joined...it's for the children. At Joinings, each Wulf will ask a friend to stand as a "Sworn Parent", so if the parents die, there is someone to take the children and raise them. You don't want Child Services fostering out a young Werewolf. Really, you don't.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

Infinite_Path wrote:I don't think that a mated pair of weres would be much different than a normal human pairing. Both wolves and humans are monogamous...
That's how I see it. One partner for life, just like it's supposed to be with humans (supposed to, because a heck of a lot of people don't seem to get that).
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

Infinite_Path wrote:I don't think that a mated pair of weres would be much different than a normal human pairing. Both wolves and humans are monogamous, and aparrently think firmly enough along the same lines that dogs happened.
Not from what i heard... somewhere on this forum, i read a post that says wolves don't have a monogamus relationship...

But, i do agree with you. Other than the fact they'd get to chase each other beneath a moonlit sky... ({snaps fingers}) Oh, sorry... they'd basically be normal. Although... something tells me their neighbors are going to wonder why those dogs are howling all the time... :D.
(i agree with you too. Werewolves probably wouldn't be in a relationship if they didn't love each other, and we are talking about werewolves, not wolves here, okay. So, i don't see any reason as to why it wouldn't be like a normal human relationship. With extra's that the human and i really wish we could enjoy... {the running thing, and stuff like that.})
Last edited by WerewolfKeeper3 on Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Mated Werewolves are the reason that there stiill are any werewolves left!

Any society has to have some sort of structure that protects its young, and Werewolves are no different.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Infinite_Path wrote:I don't think that a mated pair of weres would be much different than a normal human pairing. Both wolves and humans are monogamous, and aparrently think firmly enough along the same lines that dogs happened.
\

Actually, most biologists would disagree with you on humans being naturally monogamous (It was imposed on us by religion, most societies weren't monogamous until it was imposed on them, and our closest ancestors like chimps and bonobos are very promiscuous) and I also heard that the wolfen monongamy thing was disproven awhile ago.
XIV
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

Not like Blood & Chocolate thats for sure. It was one of the things I hated about that movie. The Alpha tradeing up every seven years? thats just wrong.

I would think a pack would operate much like wolves. Alpha male and Alpha female being the strongest ones in the pack and having to make sure each other and all the other pack members know it regularly. and the while the Alpha male is supposed to be only with the Alpha female if he cheats the Alpha female could choose to oust the female he cheated on, or even oust him if she's stronger than him, and either adopt, abandon, or even kill the offspring from the adultrious pairing.

However I would assume some human ethics elements added in to complicate things. (if they were human ancestors turned wolf it would likely be far more human in set-up) vs the above scenario which is more wolf turned humanoid in nature.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

RedEye wrote:The Bond: Two Wulfen are literally merged into "Two bodies, Two souls, one Spirit." They are utterly faithful to each other, sharing in ways that Smoothskins can barely understand. They tend to die at the same time as well, and re-incarnate together to repeat the discovery all over again.
Twin Souls. :love:

I like my werewolves to have human-like relationships only slightly more monogamous. When they choose a mate...thats it. They chose the one they will stay with until they die. Now for wereCATS...maybe not. :D
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
O Pianista
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Malkavian Prince

Post by O Pianista »

Love is a mirror... of a perfect person, for a period of time. We will never know when it's going to end... or restart :cry:
It's hard to lost someone that you love as hell...
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Dreamer wrote:
\

Actually, most biologists would disagree with you on humans being naturally monogamous (It was imposed on us by religion, most societies weren't monogamous until it was imposed on them, and our closest ancestors like chimps and bonobos are very promiscuous) and I also heard that the wolfen monongamy thing was disproven awhile ago.
I was about to jump in and say this. Not to point fingers or be sexist, but studies have shown that males especially are pre-despositioned to desire multiple partners. And for obvious reasons -- the male with more mates, spreads more of his genes.

But, on this issue, I'll second Red-Eye -- It's all about raising the young.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

MoonKit wrote:
RedEye wrote:The Bond: Two Wulfen are literally merged into "Two bodies, Two souls, one Spirit." They are utterly faithful to each other, sharing in ways that Smoothskins can barely understand. They tend to die at the same time as well, and re-incarnate together to repeat the discovery all over again.
Twin Souls. :love:

I like my werewolves to have human-like relationships only slightly more monogamous. When they choose a mate...thats it. They chose the one they will stay with until they die. Now for wereCATS...maybe not. :D
You maybe more right than you think.

I once watched a documentary talking about human courtship, sex, reproduction, etc.

From what i learned humanity is half monogamous, half promiscuous. they explained why they came up with the conclusion, but i can't remember them all. However what i do remember is they tell by comparing the size of the male testies to other primates.

Gorillas are monogamous, so they don't need much "genetic material" so they have small testicles.

Chimps are promiscuous, they need a lot of it. theirs are pretty big.

humans are in the middle.

Wolves are monogamous and will stay with the same partner. maybe werewolves are more closer and have a deeper connection with their mates than we do.

Also i may ask would there be a domination/submission side to it, or it would be equal share in power?
THE GAME

My Armory
Trashdog
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Trashdog »

Anubis wrote: Also i may ask would there be a domination/submission side to it, or it would be equal share in power?
Here's my short answer: depends on the individuals, but pretty much "yes" they would share.

Longer answer: With wolves and a mated pair, they are basically partners. One is not "dominant" over the other, per se, nor does one rule the rest of the pack more or less than the other. Males and females have different uhm.... "interpretations" of pack heirarchy, for that matter, and while there are usually at least fairly clear heirarchies within each sex it gets blurry when you put the dogs with the bitches. Sound familiar? :wink:

I think that werewolf society would be just as rich and complex as that of wolves and people. For me, one of the basic differences between were's and humans would be the importance of proper protocol. They would not be as forgiving of mannerless gits as humans are and they would be more cognizant of social heirarchy. But within a mated pair, which is more "dominant" of the two will depend on the individuals.

Oh, and FWIW, biology also shows that human females are built for cheating. As life partners, they tend to choose males with more feminine features indicating lower testosterone. The "nice" guys. But for sexual partners, they pick "bad boys" with features typical of high testosterone males. The thought is that they choose domestic partners that will stick around, be kind and raise the young. But they cheat with the meanest, toughest rowdy boy on the block. That way the young will be physically strong _and_ have the best chance at survival to adulthood by having two parents.
Trashdog

avatar thanks to http://www.andreirobu.com
lycan94
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lycan94 »

I always thought of it as were they mated for life, and when the mate died, the other usually followed in a few days to a month.
Death is the final reminder of our own mortality.
When all my ennimies die, I hope i have the strength to spit on their graves or the money to pay someone to do it for me
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot

a book i read has that idea in it... i don't like it because then, who takes care of the pups?
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

RedEye

Post by RedEye »

WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:a book i read has that idea in it... i don't like it because then, who takes care of the pups?
Technically, the mated pair does. Usually, it's the female's job.

With Werewolves, one hopes that they retain the human and wolf bonding and child-raising knowledge. The problem with books is that usually the writer doesn't follow up on the side action and thus makes it less believable.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary

RedEye wrote:
WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:a book i read has that idea in it... i don't like it because then, who takes care of the pups?
Technically, the mated pair does. Usually, it's the female's job.

With Werewolves, one hopes that they retain the human and wolf bonding and child-raising knowledge. The problem with books is that usually the writer doesn't follow up on the side action and thus makes it less believable.
I know. Not what i meant...
i don't like the idea of one mate dying soon after the first one dies. The book i was talking about, Night Play by Sherrilyn Kenyon, has it, that a bonded pair, will die at the same time if one does. That is, unless the female's pregnant, then she dies after the baby is born. that idea, i don't like... the idea of the mating thing? Of course i like the idea... given it's more like a human pair and less like wolves... no offense, but in the world of wolves, might is right, and the weak die... wouldn't go over too well with a species almost exinct, would it?
{retreats to bash proof place, cause he knows he's gonna get hit for saying anything against wolves...}
V, from V for Vendetta.

Trashdog
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Trashdog »

WerewolfKeeper3 wrote: no offense, but in the world of wolves, might is right

Thats not necessarily true. It can be, but it isn't all the time.
and the weak die...
That's true of nearly all species.
wouldn't go over too well with a species almost exinct, would it?
{retreats to bash proof place, cause he knows he's gonna get hit for saying anything against wolves...}
No bashing here. I just think that the belief that wolves rely soley on physical prowess is a misconception. People aren't the only animals that dislike bullies and despots. Wolves' survival relies on their ability to function as a group; all members must be happy working together. I'm not trying to say that they're like a bunch of hippies: all peace and love. Certainly not. But to imply that it's always the meanest and the toughest at the top of the heap is equally untrue. Good leaders aren't always the physically strongest.

On the flip side of the coin, one could also make the argument that allowing the weak to live weakens the species as a whole and would hasten, not slow, its demise. Poisoning a small gene pool, yada yada yada.
Trashdog

avatar thanks to http://www.andreirobu.com
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

outwarddoodles wrote:I can only assume that mated werewolves would exist similarly to human marriages. Werewolves marry who they love, half of them get divorced, etc etc.

But on furthur inspection, going along the lines that werewolves have a much smaller population than humans, werewolves are probably furthur encouraged to stay with their mate until their young is fully raised -- the joint parentage of the werewolves would better enable the teaching, handling, and hiding of pups of an otherwise dying race. Furthurmore, if a werewolf were to divorce, finding another acceptable mate could be difficult without relocation.

Otherwise, in the story line I'm working on, werewolves refuse to wear rings (for obvious reasons) and instead forego the wedding ring for tattoos placed in areas that are unlikely to stretch. This is not only more safer, but encourages life long mating.
This pretty much summed it up for me. Though werewolves could be argued as being a hybrid of man and wolf, they should have been raised as human beings in a human society and spend the majority of their time in human form, so their outlook on marriage should be similar, if not identical to that of normal human beings.

The one exception, of course, is that as lycanthropes, there would be a stronger bond since they would have more common ground and more incentive to stay together. As I said in the thread on werewolves marrying, a marriage between werewolves would essentially also be a commitment to the werewolf pack. If the relationship didn't work, they couldn't just get a divorce and go their separate ways because they would still be connected to each other through the werewolf pack. They might not be passionate anymore, but they would always be pack members, so while a werewolf couple might not cherish their marriage, I don't think very many would ever end it.

The most I could see a werewolf couple doing (without the presence of major plot developments) is deciding that they just couldn't live together, agreeing on a mutual separation and trying to go back to just being friends in the pack. I seriously doubt there would be any bitter separations.

The only thing I have to disagree with is the part about kids being an incentive not to divorce, at least not any more than it is for normal human beings. My reasoning behind that is that, assuming the children of werewolves are werewolves themselves, I think the pack at large would take enough of an interest in their upbringing that a divorce would not result in one parent suddenly being there for their children less.
Black Claw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Hidden Archer
Mood: Excited

Re: "Mated" Werewolves

Post by Black Claw »

I think it would work like a human marriage bond. And for your info of the Bond RedEye, isn't that similar to what is in the book of Genesis in the Bibile? :howl:  :oo
I am the guardian of the light and darkness,
I am the one who whispers in the dark,
I am the eyes of your soul,
I am the shield,
I am the sword.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Black Claw wrote:I think it would work like a human marriage bond. And for your info of the Bond RedEye, isn't that similar to what is in the book of Genesis in the Bibile? :howl:  :oo

Honestly, I don't know. I'll have to research and find out. Seriously, not being Christian, there are things in the Bible I really don't know anything about.

My Wulfen, when in Mating Bond, are like two sides of a single person. The individuals are different to a degree, but the Bond makes them feel part of each other, sharing everything from celebrations to giving birth. I'm told the physical intimacy is incredible, as well...
Each Bond-Mate is present to some degree in the mind of the other Bond-mate; in some cases developing almost a telepathic linkage; in others sharing what each member experiences as a sort of Gestalt personality.
Note: this is all in the back of their minds and doesn't materially affect how they live as individuals within the Bond. They stay People, even then. They just are totally fulfilled within each other.
Black Claw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Hidden Archer
Mood: Excited

Post by Black Claw »

What you've just said RedEye is similar to the Bible, but that's how a bond should be, you are able to stand together in good times and bad. You just have to keep the link or bond between each other or problems will arise and that will lead to pain and suffering to each other and others around you. Now if they have kids, they had better stay together or when they divorce it will hurt the kids the most and an anger will divide them between the kids and the parents, trust me i know. from my own personal experience. :howl:  :oo
I am the guardian of the light and darkness,
I am the one who whispers in the dark,
I am the eyes of your soul,
I am the shield,
I am the sword.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

I read of a couple of instances where if a wolf was captured, the mate would stay by its side therefore going to its death too even though its free. I thought that was really sweet. I know human people who wouldnt do that. :P
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Storyteller and Artist
Mood: Angry

Post by Avareis »

I'm sorry if this seems sexist, but it's traditionally the man of the house that is in charge of all the thing that get done and it's the man of the house that is the caretaker of the establishment, being the financial support and of course the one who determines whether the offspring is to be male of female. The wife.....she's in charge of telling the male what to do. hahahah. Gocha!

It's such an old cliche, but it's funny even now in this day. But seriously, why are the males always in some way under the foot of the wives. If not being told what to do, we end up having to do it because females have more endurance. Comeon! Can the ladies come up with something better and more original than, "I have a headache. Maybe later."

:cry:

It's reasonable for the female to be attracted to a take charge kind of character. And hey, I wouldn't mind an outspoken, strong woman. They last long in a relationship, because they know how to deal with stress and are less prone to heart disease. They live longer, healthier lives.
It can be a matter of fear, but in a relationship there must be a level of trust or else intimacy would not exist.(They aren't porcupines for god sakes) If this is to really work, the male and female must really see their counterpart's nature to be a turn on or some sort of desired feature in a mate. Strength through unity then comes into power as they would be nothing without each other once united. That is why wolves mate for life.