In entertainment, animal characters appeal to us because...

The place for anything at all...
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Re: In entertainment, animal characters appeal to us because...

Post by IndianaJones »

I will create my own furry fandom, if it doesn't match my thinking and style. :wink:
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
cjkrythos
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Full Moon Librarian

Post by cjkrythos »

MattSullivan wrote:Who cares what reason you have for liking critters.:} Let's just like them ^-^
WELL SAID!!! *raises a drink*

But yeah, on my part, I got interested in furry because furry critters look close enough to people to actually make speech, freindship and even love quite plausible, yet their animalistic appearance appeals to the simple appreciation of the physical aspects that animals hold. Fur patterns and soft textures, hearing a cat purring, playful attitudes, and all the fun things that we see in animals, not present within normal humans.

And if anyone wants to use the "its cus animals dont judge us", I will say, they are full of crap. Animals do judge people, just somewhat less strictly than normal people. My cat is currently holding a grudge against me for throwing her outside and keeping her there for the past few days, away from her constant need for laying inside doing nothing for days on end. She peed on someones clothing several times now, and if we dont think of some way to keep her from doing this again, she might be staying out there till we lock her up in the basement for the winter. Ive met many animals that take well to me, avoid me, or even growl and bark at me.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Vuldari wrote:I have no idea what you are talking about other than that this entire post seems incredibly conceited, and it seems that you appear to think that your own uncommon preferences are better than everyone else's, and lack any modesty about saying so.

What point exactly are you trying to make other than that you think you are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and that everything that everyone else is doing (with the exception of a niche category of Japanese art) sucks?

... good grief kitetsu ...

Does me saying "I'm f*** lonely over here" really offend your ears that much? When was the last time you had to spill a bowl of bottled-up stress, bigger than the tiny little cups someone usually spills, somewhere that's not inside your mind or your family or your LiveJournal? Because this sure as hell is my first time.

But hey, if you want me to shut up so you can continue whatever the hell it is you wish to evangelically preach here, that's fine by me. I mean, everything i say is conceited to you and other like-minded people.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

MattSullivan wrote:Who cares what reason you have for liking critters.:} Let's just like them ^-^
My sentiments exactly.

And Vuldari, Kitetsu wasn't attacking any specific person or anything. Just stating his opinions. There's no need to judge his character for it.

Personally, I see a LOT of crappy amature art all the time, and give honest opinions of how it can be improved. I occationally get slandered for not kissing their butt over a crayon drawing I feel I could do better. I've challeneged a guy by the name of Gravity Wright before, and he has his cliche of followers that all kiss his @$$. I come up with examples that best him in 3D architechture, and I get shunned out of the group for it because of his spoiled ego. That's not progress.

Those of us that give negetive critiques of a culture or artwork are not trying to make ourselves sound high and mighty. We're trying to give people the opportunity to realize their shortcomings, and improve. This goes to say that Kitetsu admits to have been commenting thusly to such artists. Personally, negetive critiques on my artworks are my favorite comments to get. It lets me see where I can improve things that I may not have noticed.

To comment on Kitetu's reaction to your post, I'd say this is an example of "Judge not lest ye be judged".

Back to the matter at hand, if I were to psychoanalyze anthropomorphics, I'd say the appeal comes from two things. The familiar form of humanity which allows communication on a personal and sensual level, and the adoring cute aspects of animals. The cute factor, mixed with the sexy factor, creates an intensely more exotic form.

This is also occuring in actual human features. Angelina Jolee has the accented lips similar to that seen on a baby. This unconcious adorable baby image, mixed with Angelina's figure, actually creates a new sensation of erotica subconciously. Although a baby by itself is not arousing, somehow taking the subconcious "cute" of it has an effect on us. Cambridge did brainscan studies on exactly this, and found that "baby" and "supermodel" images accessed the same relative area of the brain, but a mix of both such as an image of Angelina, accessed the entire encompassed area of the brain. This means twice as much stimulation. The same can be said about "cute animal + hot human".

That is my conclusion.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Sorry, but that's just super creepy.

Cute(like babies and kittens cute) and sexy is like oil and water in my brain, they just don't mesh.
I guess one reason is because to me sexy is rugged, mature, and slightly feral.
I'd take Viggo Mortensen with a three day beard stubble over a khaki-clad, moussed up Matt Damon any day. (just look at my mate and his usual lumberjack beard! XD)

I guess the whole cute+sexy thing just hits me wrong because I heard the exact same explanation from a pedophile on an interview.
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

It could also be because the study was done primarally on males, in regards to this "cuteness" being features you only see in women. Though, I don't question that forcing the cute factor into the male form using furries is not completely ineffective on the girls.

It may seem creepy, but its all true. My conclusions about animal characters because of those studies is only speculation though.
-Kaebora
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

kitetsu wrote:
Vuldari wrote:I have no idea what you are talking about other than that this entire post seems incredibly conceited, and it seems that you appear to think that your own uncommon preferences are better than everyone else's, and lack any modesty about saying so.

What point exactly are you trying to make other than that you think you are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and that everything that everyone else is doing (with the exception of a niche category of Japanese art) sucks?

... good grief kitetsu ...

Does me saying "I'm f*** lonely over here" really offend your ears that much? When was the last time you had to spill a bowl of bottled-up stress, bigger than the tiny little cups someone usually spills, somewhere that's not inside your mind or your family or your LiveJournal? Because this sure as hell is my first time.

But hey, if you want me to shut up so you can continue whatever the hell it is you wish to evangelically preach here, that's fine by me. I mean, everything i say is conceited to you and other like-minded people.
I am not challenging your right to have a minority opinion.

I, personally, hold a great many unpopular opinions and preferences.

I am merely pointing out that you are putting yourself on a pretty high pedestal ... so high in fact that you sound like you are talking down to the rest of us.

Let's review:
kitetsu wrote:a) I acknowledge that I am among actual talent.
... and that leaves everyone else where?

A reasonable amount of self pride is one thing (there is nothing wrong with feeling good about doing something well), but this sounds like you are declaring yourself a more ELITE level of artist than the rest of us, and that of artists who do not share your art style preference.
kitetsu wrote:Even with all that, what i lack are like-minded peers with the optional attribute of my skill level.
... once again you brag about how awesome you are ...
kitetsu wrote:... I should be in the developer demographic providing people what little I have for people to care about while training other areas of my talent.
... and again you mention your "Talent".

The point I was getting at was that, your entire post said nothing relevant to answering the question that the Forum Topic posed ("Why are Animal Characters Appealing?" ... you did not even say why the Rarely Seen kind You prefer are Appealing to you) ... while bragging about yourself and your "Talent" and "Skill Level" multiple times, for no apparent reason.

I'm just giving you a nudge to let you know that your EGO maybe needs a reality check.

... you're good ... occasionally very good even ... but you're not THAT good ...

I don't think even Normal Rockwell bragged about himself like that.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

I was running out of patience, okay, and it so happens i chose to spill my "ego" on everybody's face instead of being sensible and keep working with whatever wet dream i was working on.
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

No pissing matches please. It will only end unpleasantly. Vuldari, it isn't your job to correct people or be the public judge of character. Be thankful that this time Kitetsu responded in a non-hostile manner. I can agree though, that Kit should try and broaden his views for various reasons. There is always a better artist, even if you think you're the best.
-Kaebora
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

I still think that Kitetsu should be courteous enough to answer the question the Thread has posed.

Kitetsu : "In Entertainment, Animal Characters (...whom are More 50/50 in their traits and Less "Animal Eared Humans" or "Goofy looking Critters wearing nothing but a thong"...) are appealing to YOU because ..."

?? Image

( I'm sorry ... but I'm still annoyed by your claim to being among "ACTUAL Talent". Just who exactly are you claiming/accusing to be among "FALSE" or "NON-ACTUAL Talent"? ... That's a pretty bold statement... )

... as for Kaebora's statement ... Most people don't even know when they are possibly doing something wrong until someone is bold enough to bring it to their attention. I make it my personal mission to encourage self-improvement in absolutely EVERYONE ... the people who are the most resistant to my advice are usually the ones who need it the most. I am not a Modern Politician ... I don't bite my tongue when what I feel I need to say might not make me popular.

No matter where I am ... my "Job" is to be myself ... and that's all I'm doing.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

It appeals to me because I'm dealing with characters who isn't always a human, a Klingon, a Vulcan, or some other stupid excuse to resemble too closely to modern homo sapiens for once.

And wow, I must have quite a character flaw for me to be so blunt at anyone i talk to just because sugarcoating my own words makes me want to cut off my tongue.
Last edited by JoshuaMadoc on Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Distorted Realism
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Thinking with portals

Post by Distorted Realism »

i like dogs more than most kids because dogs cant talk :)
If sleep is an escape for us, than we are all cowards. We spend one third of our life trying to get away...
-The Dark Dimension
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

I prefer a good old fashioned girly squeal followed by a mewling of "Ohhh! HIM SO KYUUUUTE! ME WAANT RUB HIM BACK AND SQUEEZE HIM NOSE AND PRESS HIS PAWS!"

that's how my female friends express their love for all things cute and fuzzy. i suggest you do it too :lol:
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

kitetsu wrote:And wow, I must have quite a character flaw for me to be so blunt at anyone i talk to just because sugarcoating my own words makes me want to cut off my tongue.
That would be a "flaw" that we both share, it seems.

=^.^'= ~