"Perfection"

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

"Perfection"

Post by outwarddoodles »

I was just wondering on the topic of a werewolf being 'perfect'. Ofcource I don't want to start a debate whether what perfection is, but the matter of nature and nurture towards the body.

I want to mention teeth. My teeth are crooked, and they need braces, and I doubt that in my genetic coding my teeth were designed to be in the weird position they are, but rather the years of my overbite effecting it, my bottom teeth constantly pushing apon my two frount teeth. (all I want for christmas is my two frount teeth!) So say I shift into a wolf and then back, would my teeth be 'perfect'? The evil dentist wants to posibly pull four of my teeth, say that were to happen. When I shift into a wolf does that effect the wolf's jaw, or when I shift back to human will my teeth be the way my DNA has commanded it to be, which means would I have my four teeth back?

SO what I'm saying is in shifting through different forsm we are told this information by the various codings for the different forms. My human coding does not contain the information of the pulling of teeth (or correct me if I'm wrong.) Thus I would lose some 'nurture' in my body, changes different from what I was told when I was born. This can also inculd dying my hair. If I dyed my hair green its going to grow back brown. Unless you geneticly engineer my hair to grow green. (and then ofcource theres the how long does the hair grow back anyway, that is if we lose our human hair, and also how long our nails grow.)

I'd imagine not all things are going to change. Such as the skin, we arn't regrowing new skin we're just stretching the stuff we have ( I think that is the way we're going.) But just the changing of some structures in our body.

Would if a tail gets cut or damaged would it grow back normal next time? Do my teeth become 'perfect'. Say I cut or peirce my ear, does the hole stay or close up? What else could this apply to?
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

so are you talking about the werewolf's regerative abilites? ??
THE GAME

My Armory
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

wolf marine wrote:so are you talking about the werewolf's regerative abilites? ??
No. I'm talking about how we are geneticly 'coded' to our form. Say I get a tooth pulled in our coding there is nothing that says 'This tooth was pulled and is now gone'. Thus when changing back into my human form I think the tooth would come back, being no record withen the body of loseing the tooth.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

no i wouldn't say perfect nothing in this world is perfect.
THE GAME

My Armory
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

wolf marine wrote:no i wouldn't say perfect nothing in this world is perfect.
I was not asking to have a debate about 'perfection'. And I quote;
I was just wondering on the topic of a werewolf being 'perfect'. Ofcource I don't want to start a debate whether what perfection is, but the matter of nature and nurture towards the body.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

outwarddoodles wrote:
wolf marine wrote:so are you talking about the werewolf's regerative abilites? ??
No. I'm talking about how we are geneticly 'coded' to our form. Say I get a tooth pulled in our coding there is nothing that says 'This tooth was pulled and is now gone'. Thus when changing back into my human form I think the tooth would come back, being no record withen the body of loseing the tooth.
The body "knows" that a piece of it is missing not through genes, but through the lack of hormonal feedback from the missing piece.
The body "knows" something is "there" because the thing [insert name of organ or appendage here] because it's connected with blood vessels and nerve endings, thus, the thing receives blood, nutrients and hormones from the body, and relays various responses to the environment back to the body via these same blood vessels and nerve endings.
When the thing is removed from the body, the blood vessels and nerve endings to it are severed, and thus, the body can no longer provide blood, nutrients, or hormones to the thing, and can no longer receive the thing's stimulations (there's "phantom limb syndrome" but that's something for another topic)
Given the opportunity, or even ability, a body would grow back a lost (adult) tooth or amputated finger.
However, I'm thinking that, if we're considering that werewolves' regenerative abilities are not strong enough to grow back a lost limb, a werewolf would able to regrow lost teeth, if only because wolves have more teeth than humans.
Perhaps another trait in a werewolf's human form is that his mouth has room for all of his wisdom teeth?
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Re: "Perfection"

Post by Lupin »

outwarddoodles wrote:I was just wondering on the topic of a werewolf being 'perfect'. Ofcource I don't want to start a debate whether what perfection is, but the matter of nature and nurture towards the body.

I want to mention teeth. My teeth are crooked, and they need braces, and I doubt that in my genetic coding my teeth were designed to be in the weird position they are, but rather the years of my overbite effecting it, my bottom teeth constantly pushing apon my two frount teeth. (all I want for christmas is my two frount teeth!) So say I shift into a wolf and then back, would my teeth be 'perfect'? The evil dentist wants to posibly pull four of my teeth, say that were to happen. When I shift into a wolf does that effect the wolf's jaw, or when I shift back to human will my teeth be the way my DNA has commanded it to be, which means would I have my four teeth back?
If the 'virus' uses the already existing structures in your mouth in addtion to creating new ones for the extra wolf teeth, I could see how you'd have less teeth as both a human and as a wolf if you got your teeth pulled.
If I dyed my hair green its going to grow back brown. Unless you geneticly engineer my hair to grow green. (and then ofcource theres the how long does the hair grow back anyway, that is if we lose our human hair, and also how long our nails grow.)
Wasn't there another thread that said, if you dye your hair, then shift, the dye would probably be taken into the skin (giving you a tatoo)?
Would if a tail gets cut or damaged would it grow back normal next time?
If the tail is gronw 'from scratch' every time, then I think it would grow back if cut off. If some of it remains while in human form, then no I don't think it would regrow normally.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Bowtie
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Bowtie »

This is mostly opinion given to me by a "layman's education," but I'd think it takes time for a body to "realize" that a piece of itself is missing. Thus, if an arm is amputated, it takes time for the body and brain to "realize" or "remember" that it's no longer there.

My "proof?" Google "phantom limbs" and you should get some interesting results.

As for the tail, it'd be an interesting little "freak" occurance if the werewolves in this storyline have tails when in human form. Humans have tailbones. In other words, we have tails. They just don't stick out. Some babies are actually born with prehensile tails.

A "side effect" of the initial transformation could be the "regeneration" of a tail which remains (short and hairless) in human form.

A "side effect" of a "turned by being bitten" werewolf could be the lack of a tail at all times.

That's extreme detail, I know, but it's food for thought.

Hi, Doodles. ;P
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Bowtie wrote:This is mostly opinion given to me by a "layman's education," but I'd think it takes time for a body to "realize" that a piece of itself is missing. Thus, if an arm is amputated, it takes time for the body and brain to "realize" or "remember" that it's no longer there.
The body, if not the brain, takes less than an instant to realize that a piece of the body is missing, especially when you have blood gushing out of the gaping hole where your arm used to be.
Bowtie wrote:My "proof?" Google "phantom limbs" and you should get some interesting results.
Phantom Limb syndrome isn't about the brain thinking that a missing limb is still there, it's about the remnants of nerve endings firing off random impulses that the brain (mis)interprets as being weird sensations from a limb that is not there.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Bowtie
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Bowtie »

Well, whatever. I never said it was a GOOD education. 8)
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Apokryltaros wrote:
outwarddoodles wrote:
The body "knows" that a piece of it is missing not through genes, but through the lack of hormonal feedback from the missing piece.
The body "knows" something is "there" because the thing [insert name of organ or appendage here] because it's connected with blood vessels and nerve endings, thus, the thing receives blood, nutrients and hormones from the body, and relays various responses to the environment back to the body via these same blood vessels and nerve endings.
When the thing is removed from the body, the blood vessels and nerve endings to it are severed, and thus, the body can no longer provide blood, nutrients, or hormones to the thing, and can no longer receive the thing's stimulations (there's "phantom limb syndrome" but that's something for another topic)
Given the opportunity, or even ability, a body would grow back a lost (adult) tooth or amputated finger.
However, I'm thinking that, if we're considering that werewolves' regenerative abilities are not strong enough to grow back a lost limb, a werewolf would able to regrow lost teeth, if only because wolves have more teeth than humans.
Perhaps another trait in a werewolf's human form is that his mouth has room for all of his wisdom teeth?
Thankyou for clearing that up then. :D
If I dyed my hair green its going to grow back brown. Unless you geneticly engineer my hair to grow green. (and then ofcource theres the how long does the hair grow back anyway, that is if we lose our human hair, and also how long our nails grow.)

Wasn't there another thread that said, if you dye your hair, then shift, the dye would probably be taken into the skin (giving you a tatoo)?
Actually I was using the dying the hair thing sorta as an example. Otherwise I've never heard of getting a tatoo that way?
Hi, Doodles. ;P
Hi Bowtie! =^^=
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Thriller! Darkness falls across the land...

Post by Scott Gardener »

I can see a disturbing practice among young lycanthropes in their teenage years, of hacking off their tails and saving them. If the tail grows back with each shift, one could build a collection of severed tails, and maybe even rig up some way of holding them around one's waist, pretending to be one of those video game or Anime characters with nine tails.

Crooked teeth tend to happen because of overcrowding; a shapeshift would straighten them out, but they might get squnched crooked again with a shift back to human form. But, they might not be crooked in the same place. Alternatively, some flaws might appear only intermittantly. Maybe someone who didn't shift right--maybe someone who was high on coconut or something--could shift, only to have that weird finger length discrepancy in some of the old legends--the second finger being equal to or greater than the third. That could be fixed by shifting again, just a little bit and back.

Other things, like nose length and space between eyes, could also be subject to change, though the only werewolf who could shift from black man to white woman would still be Michael Jackson.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

I can see a disturbing practice among young lycanthropes in their teenage years, of hacking off their tails and saving them. If the tail grows back with each shift, one could build a collection of severed tails, and maybe even rig up some way of holding them around one's waist, pretending to be one of those video game or Anime characters with nine tails.
That would be quite strange, but I sappose after a painful shift between forms a quick hacking off of the tail may not be as hard as we would imagine it. The thing is; Where would they put them and what would they do with the tails? Sell the fur off them?
Crooked teeth tend to happen because of overcrowding; a shapeshift would straighten them out, but they might get squnched crooked again with a shift back to human form. But, they might not be crooked in the same place.
Thats what I would imagine, but the fact that my frount teeth are pointing outwards a bit because of my bottom jaw pushing on them for the years I have had them, its posibly that they would grow back straiter.
. Maybe someone who didn't shift right--maybe someone who was high on coconut or something--could shift, only to have that weird finger length discrepancy in some of the old legends--the second finger being equal to or greater than the third. That could be fixed by shifting again, just a little bit and back.
With the shift being as complicated as it is, I do find that very plausible in happening.
Other things, like nose length and space between eyes, could also be subject to change, though the only werewolf who could shift from black man to white woman would still be Michael Jackson.
So this little kid was being tucked in bed by his parents. He felt the need to ask a question that had been working on him for quite some time. 'Mom, Dad,' started the little kid.
'Yes?' His parents asked.
'Is God black or white?' he blurted out.
'Both' answered his parents.
'Is god a boy or a girl?'
'Both' stated his parents.
'Then is god Michael Jackson?

Sorry, I felt the need for a quick joke right there.
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

Make me have to do some research, you bad doodle you!

Humans have 28 permanent teeth, plus 4 wisdom teeth

Wolves have 42 teeth.

These are normal mouths. .there is such thing as missing dentition.

So, there are 10 teeth going to come up from 'nowhere' when shifting. . .it just means, IMHO, that the shifter is going to have to eat lots of calcium. . .

Now as to if shifting will cause teeth to reappear. .. I think that's up to the author. Wolves chip and break off teeth(all animals can) chewing on hard substances. . .So, your were could shift back to human form, to need a rootcanal in his canine tooth LOL
Lt Com Kyr

Could someone explain why my Russian Wolfhound only eats my WereWolf Books?
DarkWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Go My Tediz Go To Ze Trenchez

Post by DarkWolf »

...................I Have A Belly Button
Alone in the darkness of night, hear our howl,And Join Us
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

I can see a disturbing practice among young lycanthropes in their teenage years, of hacking off their tails and saving them. If the tail grows back with each shift,
Wouldn't that be kind of hard, since there are bones in the tail?
DarkWolf wrote:...................I Have A Belly Button
Uhh, congratulations, you're not some sort of mutant ailen thing?

Edit: content.
Last edited by Lupin on Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

First of all, you can't shift into a wolf. Period.

The 'were'-part in werewolf means 'human', so infact your spelling 'humanwolf', wich means you have to be part human, and part wolf to be a werewolf. Not a complete wolf.

Let's say you actually are a werewolf, the shift won't have any effect on your theeth, accept growing larger and sharper etc. Those 'small' things you've been born with, as a human, will probably be the same as a werewolf, I think.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

DarkWolf wrote:...................I Have A Belly Button
Press it and watch what happens. :shift:
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Morkulv wrote:First of all, you can't shift into a wolf. Period.

The 'were'-part in werewolf means 'human', so infact your spelling 'humanwolf', wich means you have to be part human, and part wolf to be a werewolf. Not a complete wolf.
That's splitting hairs. By your logic, a werewolf couldn't shift to look completely human, because they're also part wolf.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Transformers!!!! werewolfs in disguise!!! :shift:

:lol:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Lupin wrote:
Morkulv wrote:First of all, you can't shift into a wolf. Period.

That's splitting hairs. By your logic, a werewolf couldn't shift to look completely human, because they're also part wolf.
i personaly dont like the idea of complete wolf, that would be as a magical spell that grandalf the grey would cast on you.

a werewolf would never really be a complete wolf because you still have human parts that the transformation want be able to change, just expand
like the rib cage, its not going to change. just get bigger
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Transformers!!!! werewolfs in disguise!!! :shift:

I'd buy that. It combines to really cool things, giant robots and werewolves.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
Shadow Wulf wrote:Transformers!!!! werewolfs in disguise!!! :shift:

I'd buy that. It combines to really cool things, giant robots and werewolves.

Great, next you'll say that 5 werewolves combined makes a Voltron type werewolf. :wink:
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:Great, next you'll say that 5 werewolves combined makes a Voltron type werewolf. :wink:
Not until you gave me the idea. 8)
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

next fig will buy the mighty morphin werewolf rangers. :lol:
Image Image