More moderators needed?

The place to discuss things relating specifically to The Pack

Would it be reasonable to find a few more moderators?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 22

Howlitzer
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: yradnegeL

Re: More moderators needed?

Post by Howlitzer »

Yeah....but guys....we need more people...

I'm in College.

And in Calculus based Physics >.<

It eats up a bit of my time. :/
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Busy

Post by takyoji »

Other people that have been nominated/volunteered include:
outwarddoodles
Berserker
spongypants23
Gevaudan
Silverclaw
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

*whew*

I was so afraid I'd be on that list.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Here we go with this again.....
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

With the time I have available, and my interests, I may be able to moderate:

The Pack - General Business
Music
Classifieds

But I don't think I'd be able to go far beyond those three. At the very least, be added to those forums' moderators, or replace an inactive moderator as the admins feel best.
Werewolf Warrior
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Warrior Hero
Additional Details: Email: werewolfwarrior@ymail.com

http://myspace.com/werewolfwarrior

Main Grid Second Life Name: Alexie Borgin.
Mood: Excited

Post by Werewolf Warrior »

Well no offense to you guys but Spongypants23 should not be nominated.

He has a tendency to call people stupid.

heck he sent me message saying that i didn't have a brain (which I do have a brain) and said I need to add more words into my reply posts.

I would nominate berserker.
Werewolf Nation Leader

If any of you wish to join us in Second Life please do, and if you want to you can join our site at http://www.werewolfnation.webs.com/index.htm
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Spongy »

Werewolf Warrior wrote:Well no offense to you guys but Spongypants23 should not be nominated.

He has a tendency to call people stupid.

heck he sent me message saying that i didn't have a brain (which I do have a brain) and said I need to add more words into my reply posts.

I would nominate berserker.
You nominated yourself in an earlier post, thereby confirming exactly what I stated.

Plus, I have people backing me up on that statement, including an administrator. (No names will be given).

Oh, and had you actually read the thread, you would have seen that I had not been nominated. I spoke to one of the admins and volunteered. Reading isn't that hard, and it's obvious that you haven't read other topics before replying. I highly suggest you do so in the future.
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Silent Hunter »

May I suggest that some users may find post quality from you Werewolf Warrior a bit lacking at times. Of course you are learning but sometimes you can be a bit bare. Its just that we have had many stupid memberrs before you see and we do not want to think you are another. :D

Oh and I am willing to do it so add me to the list please. I would call myself active and have been here for a year.
Last edited by Silent Hunter on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Woohoo! It's starting to get hot in here!

Nobody will think less of you if you're not nominated, or not selected. Being a moderator is not a badge of honor. It is often a thankless job, kinda like being an admin. No, I don't want everyone to start thanking the moderators we do have. Bringing up old arguments and debasing one another will not help you or anybody else get the job that everyone seems to be volunteering for.

Frankly, whether I get the job or not, I'll be working to get back into the top 10 posters on the forums. There are other things to do than to just be a moderator...
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

What I think makes a good moderator encompasses traits that can effecitvely combat elitism.

- Fair non-biased sense of judgement with no favoritism.
- Never using admin abilities for pratical jokes or personal revenge on members. Only to enforce rules.
- Mature, level-headed/ down to earth, and rarely argumentative.
- Prepared to recieve negetive critizisms from those whom question judgement calls, and to handle them calmly.

Rest assured, that if you feel you can't carry out a judgement/punishment on someone that is a good friend (but you know it has to be done), you can descreetly ask another admin or moderator to do it for you.

Most of a moderator's abilities is spent approving posts of new members. So I suffice to say that it is uneventful 90% of the time.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Gevaudan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Music Lover
Additional Details: Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Mood: Happy

Post by Gevaudan »

Taking into account what people (especialy Kaebora and Howlitzer) have said here, I feel that these people would be eligible to be possible moderators:

Scott Gardener, Set, Silverclaw, *nagowteena*, Moonkit, PariahPoet, BlackWolfDS, Aki, Kzinistzerg, outwarddoodles, vrikasatma, Baphnedia, KittyRose, Midnight, Xiroteus, Dreamer, spongypants23, Berserker, Howlitzer, punxnotdead

On a side note, and extending from Baphnedia's idea, I think we should have board-specific mods, because then we can make a lot of people happy without giving too much power to a small group too soon. There seems to be a lot of people that deserve to be moderators, but some may be more suited for certain areas of expertise.
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Werewolf Warrior
Legendary
Legendary

that's true. :)

by the way the reason why I put less stuff to my post is because I'm at school when I get on here, and I don't get a lot of time to be on the forum unless I'm at home which I use MySpace most of the time. which in this case it would take a lot of thought to come up with a "HUGE" post. to me it seems you want me to type of a essay type post with 2 or 3 possibly 4 paragraphs long. that would take too long. however, I'll try. 8)
Werewolf Nation Leader

If any of you wish to join us in Second Life please do, and if you want to you can join our site at http://www.werewolfnation.webs.com/index.htm
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Gevaudan wrote:On a side note, and extending from Baphnedia's idea, I think we should have board-specific mods, because then we can make a lot of people happy without giving too much power to a small group too soon. There seems to be a lot of people that deserve to be moderators, but some may be more suited for certain areas of expertise.
I feel that board specific mods would not be a good idea. I check posts the most efficiant way. The "View New Posts" button. Having mods that use this fastest method may come across a post in need of deletion/change and be powerless to do so due to permissions, which is a fairly frustration situation.

Also, a question comes to mind. What are we to do about the inactive mods and admins? Should we remove them?
-Kaebora
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Demote to normal member privileges --> send a polite PM explaining why.
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silent Hunter »

Adding to what Beserker said we should also have some condition for a mod being online. Say if Billy the mod got demoted and told why. We would if we had any free places make him meet some conditions like "be active for X amount of time". What is considered active though would have to be decided.
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

There are admins that have been absent for half a year or more. I think that would be considered excessive. Of course we can keep Mr. Brownrigg on as an admin. He's the founder after all. :D
-Kaebora
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silent Hunter »

Sounds fair enough and for admins or mods who may leave in the future for whatever reason yet intend to come back they can always leave a formal note so people no where they are.
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

So how many new mods do you think we will need?
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Spongy »

One or two, really. We don't need an armada of moderators/admins, just enough to replace the inactive ones.
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

I think that as long as we have enough moderators that the boards are checked once or twice a day, it should be enough. I'd definately feel more at ease too.
-Kaebora
Gevaudan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Music Lover
Additional Details: Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Mood: Happy

Post by Gevaudan »

We don't even need to specifically rank people, either. We can assign certain privileges to people without giving them bragging rights by attaching a rank to it. Takyoji's got several privileges already; the only thing he's missing is an image saying "Moderator". I agree, Kaebora, that assigning moderators by forum would be a bad idea, because if something went wrong and the moderator responsible was absent, then the problem would persist. However, I still believe that some system of checks and balances should exist to keep members of the Pack on friendly terms with one another, and to ensure that no one feels too powerful. Really, all we need are some people who are willing to put aside their time to check the new posts and be mature about handling them, without the need for fancy titles. I'm fairly certain that the other admins and mods would appreciate the load off their backs.

:)
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Werewolf Warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Well I think there should be Mods for different topics on this forum.
Werewolf Nation Leader

Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

I've actually already thought about having my tag removed, as it sometimes creates this unwanted aura of being "the man" or something. I just like to help out, but I'd personally rather feel like I'm on equal terms with everyone most of the time. I'm just another forum member like anyone else, right?

There may still be others that want to be a moderator either to be popular, or enjoy the neet little title above their avatar. I've seen it before on other forums, and it wasn't such a great thing seeing it flaunted like that. Having a larger system of ranks and hierarchy would make it worse, and The Pack has voted no to that already... twice.

This careful deliberation of who gets Mod rights and who dosent, honestly starts at figuring out what a person's intentions are. If your reasons are because you love to help other people, and to see people getting along, you'd love the position. If its just because you want to feel important, you'll get bored, regret taking on the job, or worse yet... become disliked. All I ask is that those of you who are thinking you want to be a Moderator, just make sure you're reasons are pure. Agreed?

I wont be nominating anyone though. I will participate in any votes that are put up, of course. :D
-Kaebora
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

We need to keep the tags. Otherwise people don't know who to call when there is trouble with the site, or with a member. :?
It isn't a rank thing. It's a "who to talk to" thing.
Unless I'm sick, I cruise this place at least once a day. I may not log on, but I watch, and read... 8)
And sometimes I just >bleep< words that are "Inappropriate". :lol:
Result: I get PM's about problems and fix them. Without tags, we'd have to create a "Problems" thread and check it two or three times a day.
I've been on Boards with invisible Admins. Usually all the invisibility does is give them the chance to not check things and not get called out for :yawn: it. :sleepy:
I also support the current two tier Admin/Mod setup. I really don 't remember how to do the stuff the youngster Administrators can do in an instant; and I don't want to go look up how to, either. I already have enough to do. :wacko:

My recommendation is simple. Look at the people who are here all the time anyhow. Choose from them. Open the line for volunteers as well.
We check over the people being considered for Moderator status, and Administrator is a step up from Moderator. You have to moderate before you can administer. :blush:
Funny thought? Some of the hotheads might make good mods. They get in fights, yes; and thus know when a fight is developing and can stop it.
There is a certain blue tiger here who would probably be a very good moderator...and he'd stop fighting when he realized he was now responsible for keeping the peace. :evillaugh:
Let's think about this a bit more... :pingpong:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Werewolf Warrior
Legendary
Legendary

I agree with RedEye. :D
Werewolf Nation Leader