The place for anything at all...
Windigo
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Mood: RAR!

Re: Twilight movie

Post by Windigo »

To cliche for my taste. :P
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

An amusing moment witnessed by a channer at the movie:

:lol:

Oh, and I finally found the clipping of the interview with the main dude.

outwarddoodles wrote: Yeah, the series is cheesy, but that's kind of what I like about it. Beneficial, iridescent, totally hot vampires; How is that NOT appealing?
Because I like characters with flaws.

Twilight's Vampires are so over the top it's insane. There's no reason anyone could find to not want to be one aside from perhaps being leary of the idea of eternal life (but hey, if you have someone around with a strong stomach they can help you suicide when you tire of it. With their nigh-indestructible nature you can't do it alone, after all)

And, I dunno, I like some nods to the traditional monsters in new versions of them. Steph didn't read any vampire myth or fiction before making hers. It's like - why vampires then? It's clear she didn't have any interest in the creature.
Noir-Okami
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Troper
Mood: Excited

Post by Noir-Okami »

She apparently got the sparkly vampire idea from a dream. That is a little disturbing.
I'm working on a werewolf novel, while liking to stay up late at night and going to college. I'm going to be sleep-deprived when this is all said and done. :sleepy:

Anthony Brownrigg, I hope you have the best of luck with Freeborn. RedEye, I also wish you the best of luck with Wulfen Blood. And for a bit of luck for both of you... :ducktoss3:
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: TV!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mood: RAR!

Post by *nagowteena* »

I really didn't like it all that much. some parts were okay, but it was way to cheesy for me. hah, and the sun light thing made me chuckle. :lol: I've never read the books, but if they are a lot like the movie I don't think I want to.
Image Image
Yeah, that hits the spot..DeviantArt ~ Youtube Avatar by Z
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Aki wrote:And, I dunno, I like some nods to the traditional monsters in new versions of them. Steph didn't read any vampire myth or fiction before making hers. It's like - why vampires then? It's clear she didn't have any interest in the creature.
I think the story is that the characters came to her in a dream and she wrote them.

I admit, the books are so very cheesy and over the top but for some reason you wanna keep reading. I'll admit that Bella got on my nerves a whole lot in the book because she was so helpless. But the actress who plays Bella actually made her a lot cooler to me. And the paragraph describing Edward's glowing skin made me burst out loud it was so bad.

But I agree with Outwarddoodles. Its not some great piece of fiction. It is cheesy and unrealistic. But why is that wrong? Nobody said the author was amazing. We just confessed a love of the story. Is is so wrong for young women and girls to indulge in a little over the top fantasy sometimes? Why does it always have to be 100% realistic? Its supposed to be dramatic and this great Romeo and Juliet love story. Its to amuse not to teach. It's nice to escape for a minute into a crazy unrealistic love story sometimes.

I like flawed characters too and hers are flawed in a way. Just in a cheesy romance novel kind of way. :lol:
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Terastas wrote:Just for the record, I have nothing against Robert Pattinson.
I would like to officially withdraw this statement. I lost my Internet connection over the long weekend so I didn't get to comment on this when it happened, but if you missed it, Robert Pattinson was on Jay Leno one night and, when asked about his hairstyle, he didn't hesitate to admit that it was his bedhead, and further added that he didn't shower that morning.

So ladies, do you still want him to go to the prom with you? I'll admit I'm not the chief authority on hygiene, but if I had a million-dollar acting gig and was about to appear before a multimillionaire talk show host and millions of people watching at home, I'd make an effort (and if I didn't, I wouldn't freely admit it). What a douche. I smell a DUI arrest in the future.
Noir-Okami
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Noir-Okami »

Go to this:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MoneyDearBoy

The theory is that he's trying to get fired. (Go to the very bottom entry, 'kay?)
I'm working on a werewolf novel, while liking to stay up late at night and going to college. I'm going to be sleep-deprived when this is all said and done. :sleepy:

Anthony Brownrigg, I hope you have the best of luck with Freeborn. RedEye, I also wish you the best of luck with Wulfen Blood. And for a bit of luck for both of you... :ducktoss3:
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Noir-Okami wrote:Go to this:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MoneyDearBoy

The theory is that he's trying to get fired. (Go to the very bottom entry, 'kay?)
OH NO, NOT TV TRO-

*20 hours lost clicking through random entries*

Worse than Wikipedia. :lol:
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Ah ha! I know Aki's weakness now!

Muahahahaha
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Noir-Okami
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Noir-Okami »

I agree. It's very addicting.

*Clicks away on it and other sites.*

Back on topic, they have articles on Twilight. Go to Wild Mass Guessing for it. There should be a theory that Edward is a meth addict and Bella's delusional. :roflmao:

Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Baphnedia wrote:Ah ha! I know Aki's weakness now!

Muahahahaha
Vortexes of knowledge are tempting, but secretly traps.
Noir-Okami wrote:I agree. It's very addicting.

*Clicks away on it and other sites.*

Back on topic, they have articles on Twilight. Go to Wild Mass Guessing for it. There should be a theory that Edward is a meth addict and Bella's delusional. :roflmao:
Faaaar too mundane.

This is much better.
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

Moss27 wrote:Yeah... so... many girls and the occasional guy at my school are reading Twilight before the movie.
Okay, I admit it. I'm one of those guys. Why? I duno, but I've read them all and even own the last one. I want to say it's because of Jacob and the other werewolves. I saw the movie with my sister, too. Not as good as the book and slow-paced, and yet I enjoyed it for some reason. What's wrong with me?!? :wacko:
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
Moonwatcher
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guardian
Mood: Sad

Post by Moonwatcher »

I personally have never read the book or seen the movie so have no idea what it's about but from what i hear you guys are talking about sounds like some sort of romance story.
Humans Fear The Beast Within the Wolf Because
They Do Not Understand the beast Within Themselves
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Moonwatcher wrote:I personally have never read the book or seen the movie so have no idea what it's about but from what i hear you guys are talking about sounds like some sort of romance story.
It is.

And it's a terrible one. To quote a friend about it:
Going all srs bsns for a moment here...

I know Zarr already tackled this, but I've seen this argument so many times, and I am so tired of it. Are you seriously saying that fiction has no relevance to society whatsoever? Teenagers are incredibly impressionable, and every time I've heard someone pining over Edward to the point of tears, or saying Bella is their greatest role model, I die a little inside. The problem with Stephenie Meyers is that she doesn't present her fictional relationships as what they are: unhealthy. They are portrayed as ideal, something to strive towards, and impressionable people will swallow that whole. They're not stupid, they're just young and figuring life out (apart from the Twimoms; let's not even go there). The messages they are getting from this book are truly awful. If your boyfriend breaks into your house at night and watches you sleep, it's just because he loves you! If your boyfriend physically grabs you, pushes you about and speaks to you as if you're 'mentally retarded' (an actual quote from the book, by the way), it's just because he needs you to listen to him! If your boyfriend wants you to stop seeing your other friends, it's just because he's worried for your safety!

I've read all four books in pdf, and so far, I can't remember ever disliking a character as much as I dislike Bella. By the end of the third book, she's gone from bland to just plain awful. Critics have really nailed it when they wrote about how little she cares about the world around her, about her family and friends. She has NO GOALS besides staying with Edward. She has no qualms about ditching her family, her friends, college or anything else for someone she's just known for a few months, who she never gives any other reason for liking except that he's hot. She doesn't care about getting an education, a job, a purpose for her life. This is not seen as bad; this is seen as romantic. She's such an empty, self-centered and mediocre person, that I can't imagine how could anyone identify with her.

I suppose what annoys me most about Twilight is its insane popularity, how many people idolise its characters, and how people are so ready to put this drivel on a pedestal. It's not just that we are rewarding mediocrity, but that we are rewarding the most vapid kind of entertainment possible. Do we want one-note characters, sophomoric prose, and plot points that make no sense? Bella's personality is so weak as to make her almost a non-entity in her own story. What does this mean? Does the market want heroines like this? Girls with no definition, girls who spend their own stories being saved by their perfect boyfriend, girls who display a complete lack of agency or influence over their own destinies? To me, Twilight is the worst kind of love story, and the worst kind to feed to young girls.

Aaaand I'm spent.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

I... think I'll avoid this one as I did Eragon.

No avoiding Blood & Chocolate on DVD, however.