Klaatu Barada Totally Nikto!

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Klaatu Barada Totally Nikto!

Post by Scott Gardener »

They're doing a remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still, with Keano Reeves as Klaatu. The original is so well done, it seems sacrilegious to anticipate a remake, and yet I've wondered for several years if one would ever be done.

http://www.thedaytheearthstoodstillmovie.com/
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Klaatu Barada Totally Nikto!

Post by Uniform Two Six »

I just saw the TV ad. It looks like the aliens are, shall we say, somewhat less benign in the new one than in the original. Oh well, I guess they figured that peaceful aliens wouldn't sell as many tickets as ones intent on wiping out humankind would. On a totally unrelated vein: I really hope conventional Hollywood never gets its grubby fingers on the Freeborn script. I shudder to think.
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

I saw the trailer at the theater, theater view? maybe, I will see it once it is on DVD for sure, I should take a look at the original, I am a little behind on viewing films before the eighties, even out of twelve hundred views.
W'rkncacnter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Hard to Pronounce

Post by W'rkncacnter »

Keanu Reeves...ehh.

The guy does action films pretty well, but he seems shallow and stiff in his acting. One of the things that made the original Klaatu memorable was his duality: the aloofness of a being foreign to our world combined with the calm, direct curiosity of a scientist, with just a hint of absolute power.

If it was someone like Liam Neeson, I would go. But Keanu...it just sounds like they're trying to recycle it for the young people, and I'm really worried that they might destroy the beauty of the original piece in the process.
What can create a new system, or destroy an old one? What can change the lives of everyone who touches it? What can strengthen the whole world, or shake it to its very roots? What can create whole nations, and change the course of history?

An idea.

-Unknown
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

I am very much a fan of the original. I'll go see the new one, but it will be judged against the original. This remake has a LOT to prove (take a look at what the original did when it was released...).
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook