I'm HAVING FREAKY 80'S FLASHBACKs!!! Supercade Season two!

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

I'm HAVING FREAKY 80'S FLASHBACKs!!! Supercade Season two!

Post by MattSullivan »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=M4H__KmgQc0

The first TV show based on a video game! ( And someone finally posted the ultra-rare "Space Ace" season two! )

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hgX8F7Zwy2o

Holy mother of long dead brain cells. I haven't seen this since 1984! Those of you age 30 or older will remember this, and you younguns will think it's lame and cheesy. ( which it is ) Just a sign of a time when cartoons were absolutely BRAINLESS, but we liked em anyway.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Re: I'm HAVING FREAKY 80'S FLASHBACKs!!! Supercade Season two!

Post by Terastas »

Umm. . . No. Words fail me.

Of course, I recognize that there will come a time when my kids will go on the Internet, find the intros to Pinky & The Brain, Road Rovers and Exosquad and laugh at me for having watched those.
:P

And I imagine I'll feel similar about that to the way my father felt the first time he heard Stairway to Heaven on the easy listening station.
:grinp:
Wselfwulf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wselfwulf »

not to mention Ren & Stimpy or Rocco's Modern Life.
Real humanity presents a mixture of all that is most sublime and beautiful with all that is vilest and most monstrous in the world - Mikhail Bakunin, God and The State

Nothing in life is certain except negative patient care outcomes and revenue enhancement - William Lutz
Doggard
Mood: Relief

Post by Doggard »

Ok the Racoons..... Sport Billy..... G-Force....Hercules....Ghost Busters,
Ok there where a LOT OF 80's Cartoons..... SuperCade came on MUCH later.
Ok I am old enought to have seen Scoobydoo and Scrappy too and Blue Falcon and his CyberPooch Dynomutt. there was also Brave starr and He-man......and :lol: STawberry Short Cake... Ok CareBears too..... :howl:  :oo
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

Oh dear, we've gone from the original topic to we're all on a freaky timeslide back to the 80's, who's mad enough to join us?

I don't have a good memory, so I can't name that many, but some of the earliest that stuck out for me?

The Raccoons, Ulysses 31, Dogtanian, Willy Fog (Around the World in 80 Days), Visionaries, Thundercats, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, and faaa-la-la-la-la-la, someday we will find the Mysterious Cities of Go~old, doobeedoobeedoo.

Edited to add...

In fact, I think I'm going to introduce (subject) those who're unfamiliar with Dogtanian to its intro theme. One which I had a hard time deciphering, and when I was a pup I could've sworn it had someone singing "Kiss the pretty Pony!" in it, until I later read the lyrics and found out that wasn't quite the case.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Are you European, Vagrant? Or Canadian?
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vagrant »

I'm Welsh! Well, I'm on the Welsh-English border, to be exact, but where I am is just barely technically considered Wales, so yes, Welsh. A resident of old blighty then, and all that.

If I may enquire, I'm curious as to your curiosity; why do you ask?
Doggard

Post by Doggard »

Well what did you have in Wales Mate???
Werzzal Gummage, what else?
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vagrant »

Oh good grief, I remember Wurzel Gummage, played by the same chap who did the third Doctor (Doctor Who), if I recall. He was a fun actor back in the day, to be sure. That's been a while...

Aside from that, when it comes to British-released kids TV, I think the only one I can recall is The Wombles.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

I was curious because as far as I remember, none of the TV shows you mentioned were prominent in the United States during the 80s, except for perhaps Thundercats.
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vagrant »

Ah, of course. A few of those were French-British collaborations, I'd gathered they would've been aired elsewhere, but probably not. Of the ones I mentioned, it would have been; Mysterious Cities, Willy Fog, Dogtanian, and Ulysses 31.

Both Visionaries, and Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors seem to be of American origin though, and aired in the 80's. But it's possible that they were simply obscure over there, and more popular outside the US. I can think of one or two cartoons that were like that.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

You know, even though I was born in 1984. . . It's kind of scary how some of these I can remember watching as a kid. Many of my childhood nostalgia shows, it would appear, were the reruns of yours. :P
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vagrant »

I'm not surprised at that, even in the UK cartoons continually go through rerun frenzies, it's usually five years before they disappear completely, and after ten years they can have a surprise resurrection.

I've seen one of the channels over here frequently resurrect 80's cartoons even, and that's wonderful because it means that the pups can enjoy the nonsense I used to like. I was especially pleased about the recent Ulysses 31 rerun, that was an exceptional show, and it proved that even ancient cartoons could have an ongoing and well written plot.

Considering that, I wouldn't be surprised if what I'd described above was the case everywhere. So it's entirely likely that 80's cartoons reran in the late 80's, even possibly up to the mid 90's.
Doggard

Post by Doggard »

We had the Wombles here in Canada along with Paddington Bear and Noddy PBS of Couse
I kind of thought Paddington Bear was one of the Cleverest everyone else aside from paddington bear were 2D Paddinton and everything else he may interact with was 3D...I think the same people who made the Wombles made Paddington Bear. :lol: 8)
LaTER we had rebroadcasts of BBC and BBC Canada on a CBC station

Well lest not forget wind in the willows Postman Patt......Ok there where so meny
Ah Willow the Wisp... you know the one with the Evil Witch in a TV. Fat Ferry Woully bear catterpiller, Frog Prince and Glasses werring Cat
Oh and Sonic the Hedgehog and Transformers.
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vagrant »

I remember Paddington Bear now, too! /badmemory That was a clever little show, I agree. And it was heart-warming in the same way that The Raccoons was. I really miss shows like that, they don't seem to be around any more.

There really was some great stuff on British TV years ago, it's just taking me a while to jog my memory. Another that's surfaced is the televised (as a series) take on the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, which was actually more clever and generally enjoyable than the books it was based off were. And what they managed to do with the special effects of the time was astounding.