A new and quiet face

Welcome to "The Pack" forum! Come tell us about yourself!!
Gray Wind
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

A new and quiet face

Post by Gray Wind »

Hello. Im new to "THE PACK".
not much more to say about me than that.

i dont know much about lycanthropes yet i feel at home at the idea, any information would be greatly appriciated since i can't really tell lore from fiction at the moment.

thanx,
a new pack member
Kami
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: Kamikaze
Mood: Depressed

Re: A new and quiet face

Post by Kami »

Hello, and welcome. Hopefully, you'll be able to learn more about lycans as time goes on. (:
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

Gray Wind wrote:Hello. Im new to "THE PACK".
not much more to say about me than that.

i dont know much about lycanthropes yet i feel at home at the idea, any information would be greatly appriciated since i can't really tell lore from fiction at the moment.
Welcome, and is there really a difference between fiction and lore aside from age? Though, the lore is vast and varied, for example there's a Mexican werewolf who runs around stealing cheese, can't actually hurt anyone, and is repelled by clothing. Usually, the gist of it is that Person A turns into Animal B, with the rhyme and reason as varied as the faces in a crowd.
Pretty much every single member of this board has a different vision of lycanthropy, I know I do.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

There's a Mexican cheese-Wolf? Okay, that's going to give me some future reading up, because I have to know more about that.

But yes, a Werewolf at its most base nature is simply a creature that has the morphological freedom to shift from Human form, to other lupine forms. These forms can be a gestalt form, combining Human and Wolf, pure Wolf, or anything in between.

There are all sorts of fans here, everything from those who favour more new-age Werewolves, who look more at the nature of the animal and build their idea of a Werewolf from there on, to those who solely opt for the traditional Hollywood Werewolf. Spiritual Werewolves, Werewolves based on Science, feral Werewolves, danerous Werewolves, peaceful Werewolves, we have the lot, here.

So I'm sure you'll find that the Pack, collectively, has a big enough mind to accept whatever kind of Werewolf you prefer, if you have your own vision of a Werewolf, as Wingman said, then that's perfectly fine and you'll most certainly fit in.

Edited to add...

Before I forget, take this ... :hardhat: This is a Flying Duck Zone and you'll likely be accosted with them sooner or later. It's good to have some form of protection!
Gray Wind
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Gray Wind »

Duckies? i see the one on the top of the page but i still dont get it.
am I missing something :?
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: TV!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mood: RAR!

Post by *nagowteena* »

Welcome! :howl:  :oo
Image Image
Yeah, that hits the spot..DeviantArt ~ Youtube Avatar by Z
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

Gray Wind wrote:Duckies? i see the one on the top of the page but i still dont get it.
am I missing something :?
It's a forum tradition, new people are pelted with rubber duckies.
Christmas rush seems to have slowed down the duckies
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Like this:
:ducktoss3:

Welcome to The Pack!

The Therianthropy movement has been reinventing werewolves since the 1990s, though some could argue that getting out of horror and into metaphysics is simply getting lycanthropy back on track towards what it used to be when humanity hunted, gathered, and yes, scavenged. It's an acknowledgment that humans are a part of the animal kingdom, as well as a hint at ideas such as transmigration of the soul. It's also a reason to draw cool art, write neat stories, and bicker senselessly about what words mean, or whether or not we have anything to do with the Furries, another Internet movement that kind of overlaps, but not quite.

But, not all Pack members are Therianthropes. Some are more simply enthusiasts of the werewolf as a legendary creature, who find interest in various interpretations and re-interpretations of the mythos.

As for full moons, silver bullets, and eyebrows that meet in the middle, each legend seems to have its own origin, its supporters, and others who dislike the idea. A lot of familiar werewolf myths are fairly contemporary, or were at least pretty obscure aspects of the myth until the 20th century. Most of us are still trying to figure out why werewolves in movies over the past decade have started walking on walls. That's new, makes no sense, and is completely stupid, and has forced us to petition filmmakers like the one who started this site to get to work on movies featuring werewolves with abilities that make sense, like shifting into forms that resemble wolves rather than hairless rats or Chewbacca on a bad hair day.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

That was very well written Scott, I simply had to comment on it. It's a fantastic overview of whom we, as members of this 'ere Pack are, why we came in the first place, and why we stay. Though not necessarily in that order.

I can personally say that I was drawn here by Freeborn too, and the burning desire to see a different kind of Werewolf. Few things had actually even explored what I'd like to have seen, or even wanted to. Furry didn't, because it wasn't really about morphological freedom (this isn't at all a bash at furry, just pointing out the difference between a Werewolf and a fixed-form anthropomorph), and the only real group that I knew of that came close were therians, but I found that culture intimidating and difficult to integrate myself into.

But yes, then I discovered Freeborn and the Pack forums, it was perfect because they did want to explore these things, earnestly, and I lurked for a long time to see just what all these interesting people were yammering about. It seemed like there was a place that welcomed the idea of new Werewolves, even an individual's dream of a Werewolf, and wasn't at all imposing. In fact, the people here strike me simply to be some of the most intelligent and magnificent I've ever had the good fortune to know.

And while we may bicker sometimes, there is an undercurrent of undeniable and mutual respect here, and even the most wary and shy of Werewolf fans, with even the most outlandish of ideas, can find a place to rest their feet, and talk, and share with like- and open-minded people.
Gray Wind
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Gray Wind »

Thank you for the warm welcome to THE PACK also...

Freeborn? is it a book or a movie? If either could someone tell me how i could get my hands on it
:howl:  :oo
Flatline
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: More to me than what your eye sees
Additional Details: Gender on profile no longer specified. Reason: There is no genderqueer option.
Mood: Happy

Post by Flatline »

welcome to the pack! *throws rubber ducky*
Friendship is a precious thing.... Until it is abused and you are rendered unloved. Few remain at my side, one of them is the most compassionate man I have ever met. I love you silver1, thank you for being at my side when i need you the most. I will try, if only for you.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

Gray Wind wrote:Thank you for the warm welcome to THE PACK also...

Freeborn? is it a book or a movie? If either could someone tell me how i could get my hands on it
:howl:  :oo
Well, it's a movie, but I'm unaware of if there's a novelization of it that we would be allowed to see that in any way resembles the script. Well, I suppose a swift kick to Brownrigg might speed things up, but as is the movie is still listed as being in pre-production.
There is a sort of trailer for it, which is a filthy underhanded tactic since it looks like scenes taken from an actual movie, and then we all become depressed when we first realize that the movie is still far off on the horizon.
For your viewing pleasure.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/407767/freeborn/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lUt2wUhMVc
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Moonwatcher
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guardian
Mood: Sad

Post by Moonwatcher »

so welcome to the pack
Humans Fear The Beast Within the Wolf Because
They Do Not Understand the beast Within Themselves
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Post by IndianaJones »

Hello there, welcome to the Pack.
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
RodolfoGurenaito
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: First Grey Knight