Dream Theater

From bands to orchestral to pop music! Shoobie doobie doo wop!! Talk about...... pop pop pop music!!!
Shadowstorm
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: The Resident Drummer

Dream Theater

Post by Shadowstorm »

So, are any of you guys into DT and what records of theirs are ya into?

For me my top three DT records are:

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
Images and Words
Train Of Thought

To me, these three define what DT is all about and why they are considered as Progressive Metal legends. also these three IMO are Mike Portnoy's best work as a drummer to date, especially SDOIT.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Re: Dream Theater

Post by Wingman »

Another Day is the only song of theirs that I can identify as theirs, and every time I try to look up their music I get distracted. But I rather like the song, or at least the version I found on musicovery, the ones on youtube sound slightly different.
Edit: Just loaded up a playlist of them. Pretty good stuff.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

My favourite of theirs is probably Overture 1928, as I really love instrumental tracks. I have to admit that pure instrumental, especially the more epic kind accompanied by lots of guitar solos, makes up quite a bit of my favourite metal.
Shadowstorm
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: The Resident Drummer

Post by Shadowstorm »

Winger: I totally agree, Another Day was one of, IMO the most underrated songs in DT history and is actually my favorite song off of Images and Words along with Metropolis Pt:1

Vagrant: Yes, DT gains alot of exposure off of the two instrumental tracks off of Scenes From A Memory. The Dance Of Eternity is the more popular of the two from my experiences.

As for my favorite DT instrumental, check out a song from the Awake album called Erotomania, this instrumental used to be in the middle of Pull Me Under in the RARE demo version but was cut out of the song due to time constraints with the records length. If you like Rush instrumentals then you will LOVE this tune. it's heavily inspired by Rush.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

I liked Dream Theater in the early days of my metal obsession, but I eventually grew tired of them after hearing more visceral progressive stuff like Cynic, Athiest, Windham Hell, Death/Control Denied, etc.

Images and Words is their best album.
Wselfwulf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wselfwulf »

I enjoyed Train of Thought quite a bit. Endless Sacrifice/Honour thy Father for example, and yeah mainly because of some progressive structuring; that and Petrucci. Six degrees of inner turbulence...was that the forty minute thing with the octavarious symphony? I've got to get around to listening to that sometime.
Real humanity presents a mixture of all that is most sublime and beautiful with all that is vilest and most monstrous in the world - Mikhail Bakunin, God and The State

Nothing in life is certain except negative patient care outcomes and revenue enhancement - William Lutz
full-moon
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Mood: Happy

Post by full-moon »

yes they are cool and psychodalic. i used to listen them in my pink floyd years. they have something in common. however i never found them realted to wolves :)
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence is epic, and easily DT's best.

I own both Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence and Train of Thought. I know a lot of people dislike Train of Thought but I actually thought it was pretty good.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.