And now for something completely different!

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Storyteller and Artist
Mood: Angry

Re: And now for something completely different!

Post by Avareis »

Spring the beast without getting bit. DUUU! I always have a cane or a walking stick on me lately. So, I think it would come in handy with something I want to do without losing a few fingers. LOL The animal would not risk further injury when released, as the immediate, instinctual thing to do is to get away.

If the owner of the trap comes by after I'd probably set it back up for him and place it somewhere else and lay some bait so he can step on it himself. As it springs and catches his leg in the trap, I would come over to him and have a nice chat with him as to why he is setting trap when he knows that it is a cruel way to go hunting. That is assuming that it was just one person and not more. (Of course, the same route applies, as an injured party member does slow down movement within the group. More than two people, mean one will leave to get help at some point and then it's a matter of perfect timing. A worried concern of rushing to them, a turn of their head and a knock of my cane and everything will fall into place...on the ground motionless.) If the man says something about ordinary wolves or dogs or whatever, I just ask him what he knows about werewolves, since I would like to know a little more about them and clearly that would be the case. When I am satisfied with his answer, I then would probably beat him to death with my cane then after and go on my way, leaving him there in his mess to be found later. And if the third party member comes back. I tell him that his friend who I hid in the bushes actually went looking for him since took to long getting the first aid. I'll say I helped spring the trap and his friend passed out. When he goes to check on him. I knock him too. More than three people, I can't handle. So, I'd have to track them down over a little more extended time. I would of course hide any evidence that an animal might have been there and get a new cane from the same maker. It's not that hard since I make my own, but I think I would be looking over my shoulder for a while. If it was a werewolf and not some genetic mutation I'd be pretty scared since they would clearly be obsessed with leaving anything behind that it might point to them. I'd be pretty paranoid after that, I think. Being a witness to something isn't always liberating.

I know it sounds fantastical, but it's what I would actually do. Besides, the situation itself is fantastic.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Well, here was my thought.

The "werewolf"(?) was in wolf form. I figured he's freaked out and that's why he's not going to Gestalt form. The descrip didn't mention blood, and unless the trap is coated in or alloyed with silver, it probably wouldn't harm a werewolf. A gestalt werewolf would weigh a whole hell of a lot more than 125 pounds.

My guess was that he'd get his shoi together as soon as the hunter showed up and the "cornered animal/fight like hell" instinct kicked in. Between hunter armed to the teeth and severely-pissed, spooked and cornered werewolf, meh's duns't wants ta be there.

"There's nothing scarier than something that's huge and spooked." — J.J. Abrams
ImageImageImageImage
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I'd release the trap and pray the good deed goes unpunished. Better yet, I might on the spur of the moment stick my own leg in and gripe at the guy for leaving his traps out willy nilly, threaten to sue (a bluff, as courtroom battles are an enormous hassle), and limp away once he helped me get my leg back out. Then, I'd look to see if the wolf or wolf-like animal from my candidate werewolf sighting was still around, after the hunter/trapper guy left.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

The absolute worst part of setting up things like this is that I can't comment on things without blowing the whole setup.

Can't comment, but I can observe: (I wish I could slice onions this thin)...
One might talk. One might say, "I'm going to stand on the springs and release the trap. Get your leg out then."
One might then watch the reaction.
And proceed therefrom.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

{Hits him} DOH!

Mmm... highly intelligent creature... duh!

Okay... i tell the werewolf i'm going to do what RedEye said. Depending on what it might do, she might respond with
"Why?"
I blink and say, "Cause i hear someone coming, and i don't think you'll want to be here when they show up."
She nods, and i proceed to release her.

Something like that, RedEye?
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
Ceekur
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ceekur »

Very interesting topic and replies. One thing I need to mention though. While I understand about the legal issues of disrupting a trap, I noticed some said trappers were slowly switching to cage traps. While a helpless animal caught with their leg crushed in a trap is heart-wrenching to see, I don't see how the situation is changed entirely if a cage was used instead. Non-caging traps are inhumane (the ones we're talking about here), but an animal caught in a cage will still be killed in the end (especially sad if just for profit). This gives me the impression that while an animal suffering in a leg trap may be given a chance to live another day, an animal caught in a cage, that will be killed in the end, may not.
' They have come to take my life...
Let us settle this 300 year-old war once and for all...
Who shall live...? Who shall die...? ' ~ Moonlight Symphony - Vampire Night

Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

I really like Scott's answer.

It would very likely be a person after this strange kind of Wolf in the first place, I'd have my doubts that this would be a coincidence. So I'd still do what I did originally; I wouldn't let the hunter in question have such a magnificent beast, even at the expense of my own life. It would have to escape them, I'd see to that.

Sticking one's leg in the trap would be a fantastic way of delaying the hunter, to give the Wolf-creature enough time to get away, the only thing one would hope in that instance is that one could convince the Wolf to run away. Indeed though, I welcome the idea of holding up the hunter for as long as I can--and stepping in the trap would do that, but I'm not sure if that would've occurred to me there and then.

One thing I do know though is that it'd be an option now the thought has been brought to my mind. A hurt leg is no price to pay for the safety of such a beast.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

You do realize that with a wounded wolf on the run, and you in the trap, the hunter is perfectly able to walk around you and go after the wolf, right? If it is a werewolf hunter, and they know full well that some of the time their quarry is human, then he's probably not going to be particularly softhearted.

After all, you're stuck in a trap, more or less helpless.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

No, but you are in the perfect place for a sucker punch, because you seem helpless and debilitated.

It's a flaw in the Human condition--a disabled friend of mine has used this to his advantage a couple of times.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Ceekur wrote:While a helpless animal caught with their leg crushed in a trap is heart-wrenching to see, I don't see how the situation is changed entirely if a cage was used instead. Non-caging traps are inhumane (the ones we're talking about here), but an animal caught in a cage will still be killed in the end (especially sad if just for profit).
An animal in a cage trap might be killed, but it might also be relocated by animal control or the humane society. With a bear trap, there's not much of a question as to the owner's motive for using it.

You never see wolves in the wild where I live, so if I saw a wolf in a cage trap, my first thought would be that it would have to have escaped from somewhere and the trap was set by either the zoo it escaped from or animal control to relocate it to a safer location. Neither of those people would ever think to use a bear trap, however, so while I would still have many questions about why a wolf is in the area, I'd still assume the wolf to be in the right on this one.

If it was a cage trap, my response instead would be to try to meet the approaching footsteps halfway. If it is animal control or someone else that has every intent of keeping the wolf alive, then I would just go about my way. Wolves are still a protected species however, so if it was a hunter, I could do any number of things to try and deter him away. The best case scenario would be if I could keep him from thinking I'd ever even seen the trap; maybe he'll think he can fool me into thinking he isn't a hunter and that he can come back at a later time to collect his quarry; if he walks away, then I'll release the wolf. Failing that, I could always take pictures with my cell phone and send them to my e-mail address, threaten to testify against him in court, maybe try to bargain that I won't if he just packs up his crap and gets the hell out of there -- stuff like that.

But yeah, the kind of trap does matter. I get that an animal in a cage trap could be killed, but that doesn't mean they will. Though I would love to meet the person that would try to insist to me that bear traps are humane. :P
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot

Terastas wrote: Though I would love to meet the person that would try to insist to me that bear traps are humane. :P
Mmm... like, say, making him put his leg in the trap and it shutting on him?

Even if wolves are a protected species... what does happen to you if you kill one?
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:Mmm... like, say, making him put his leg in the trap and it shutting on him?
No, not to do anything to him. I'm just entertained when people know they were doing wrong but try to lie about it or excuse it in such a way that makes them look retarded.
:grinp:
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary

Hmm... makes me think of our ex-president...

But... what makes you think said hunter would think a bear-trap is wrong? I'm just asking... some people don't see what they're doing as wrong, even if it is...
V, from V for Vendetta.

Bloodyredbaron
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Undead Mutant Dinosaur
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Bloodyredbaron »

An animal?

That cries?

Clearly it is a abomination, and should be purged with fire. :lol:
"I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but it's just eggs hatching."
-Jack Handey
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary

Bloodyredbaron wrote:An animal?

That cries?

no comment
(i find that in bad taste.. hmm... fire...wereboar... roast boar... hmmm...)

he's kidding... he's a vegetarian... mostly...
V, from V for Vendetta.

Bloodyredbaron
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Bloodyredbaron »

WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:
Bloodyredbaron wrote:An animal?

That cries?

no comment
(i find that in bad taste...)
*Stops petting stuffed wolf*

Explain.
"I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but it's just eggs hatching."
-Jack Handey
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary

(Which the fact we responded twice... or what i meant by in bad taste? I'm going with the later... please, please don't take offense... but i didn't really find that funny... but that's my personal opinion so, please, just ignore me...)
V, from V for Vendetta.

Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:But... what makes you think said hunter would think a bear-trap is wrong?
It's illegal.

Have you ever seen Dateline: To Catch A Predator? Or either of their spin-offs, To Catch An Identity Thief or To Catch A Car Thief? I've seen every single one to date, and not once has anyone in any of those episodes ever said something to the effect of "it is illegal, but it shouldn't be." They always either conceited that what they knew what they were doing was wrong, or tried to claim that wasn't what they were doing at all.

So I know the owner of the trap will know its illegal. And even if I had to distract him by wedging my own leg in the trap, when he tries to weasel his way out of it and claim that it isn't his trap, that too will be entertaining to me.
Bloodyredbaron
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Bloodyredbaron »

WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:(Which the fact we responded twice... or what i meant by in bad taste? I'm going with the later... please, please don't take offense... but i didn't really find that funny... but that's my personal opinion so, please, just ignore me...)
I was just teasing you, keeper. :P

[quote='Terastas"]
It's illegal.

Have you ever seen Dateline: To Catch A Predator? [/quote]

I find this example highly appropriate.
-Jack Handey
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary

Terastas wrote:
WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:But... what makes you think said hunter would think a bear-trap is wrong?
It's illegal.

Have you ever seen Dateline: To Catch A Predator? Or either of their spin-offs, To Catch An Identity Thief or To Catch A Car Thief? I've seen every single one to date, and not once has anyone in any of those episodes ever said something to the effect of "it is illegal, but it shouldn't be." They always either conceited that what they knew what they were doing was wrong, or tried to claim that wasn't what they were doing at all.

So I know the owner of the trap will know its illegal. And even if I had to distract him by wedging my own leg in the trap, when he tries to weasel his way out of it and claim that it isn't his trap, that too will be entertaining to me.

Okay, okay...

As for putting you leg in the trap... yeah, i'd find that entertaining too...
V, from V for Vendetta.

Silveera-Ice
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silveera-Ice »

:lol: :?
Avatar used is a work from Khaos dog. http://khaosdog.deviantart.com/
Ember
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Mood: Meh...

Post by Ember »

I just got finished reading all the ways posted of dealing with the hunter.... man, some of you people are vicious! Like me.....

I would do my utmost to free the werewolf. I'd try to appear as non-threatening as I could and make my intentions as clear as possible, but I probably wouldn't address the werewolf verbally unless I was certain that the approaching person was not within earshot (and if I could hear them coming, then they would probably be close enough to hear me unless I was really quiet). Once the WW was free, I'd run away, if the WW could do the same, and if he couldn't we'd hide in the bushes nearby. If the trap was left open and I had enough time to cover up any traces of the wolf having been trapped there, the hunter or whoever it was might just pass on by.

If I didn't have time to cover the disturbance (and the WW couldn't run), I'd probably hid him and then stay by the trap. When the hunter appeared, I'd give him a furious lecture about bear traps being illegal and inhumane, tell him I'd called the authorities, threaten to bring him to court, etc. I'd admit that I'd set the wolf free, but pretend to think that it was an ordinary wolf, because everyone knows that werewolves don't exist. By this time, for all the hunter knows the WW could be miles away.