Ulli Lommel vs. Uwe Boll

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
AngryGothChick
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Hello person.
Mood: Depressed

Ulli Lommel vs. Uwe Boll

Post by AngryGothChick »

Out by sixteen or dead on the scene, but together forever
Baphnedia

Re: Ulli Lommel vs. Uwe Boll

Post by Baphnedia »

If you could, add a poll to this one? I'm shocked that You Went There.

Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

:? Do you really even have to ask? Uwe Boll is ten times worse than Lommel could ever be.

There's a world of difference between the two of them. Lommel does indeed make some total crap, and the pattern I've noticed with his recent titles seems to be an attempt to fool people into thinking they're buying other movies (Black Dahlia, Zodiac Killer, etc), but Lommel still makes something that Boll never has in his entire life.

An effort.

Lommel is sort of like an Ed Wood of slasher films; he works with struggling (and often bad) actors and crap budgets, and he seems to have absolute faith in the tired old Hollywood cookie cutter formulas he probably grew up with. It's completely beyond Lommel's capacity to make a decent movie. . . But he does make an effort. Considering what he works with, that his finished products even resemble movies at all could be considered an achievement.

Uwe Boll, on the other hand, has no right to even call himself a real director. As I've ranted in the past, Boll's films are written with the intent of being box office bombs; he helps fat German businessmen acquire tax write-offs on his crap films and in exchange he gets to pay himself to write and direct them.

Best possible case in point: the ten-minute fight scene from House of the Dead. Could you explain to me why splicing in scenes from the video game was a good idea?

Is Lommel a better director than Boll? Of course, who the hell isn't?

EDIT:
One more thing to distinguish Lommel from Boll: Lommel used to be able to come up with a decent movie. It's been over twenty years since he's had a hit, but back in the 80s, he did alright; he got to work on a couple of films with Andy Warhol, and he directed at least one film (The Boogeyman) which, while unoriginal, was still a hit at the box office. He's a piss poor director now, but unlike Boll, he wasn't always.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

I can honestly say, I have never seen a single movie by either of them.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

That's probably a good thing, Moonkit.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

MoonKit wrote:I can honestly say, I have never seen a single movie by either of them.
Lommel had a couple of movies that were decent for their time, but yeah, as Baphnedia said, you're not missing anything. Most of Lommel's movies, especially his recent slew, are cheap, dull and uninspired; one zombie flick and a bunch of near-identical serial killer flicks. And Boll's movies don't need to be watched -- it only takes a couple of Youtube clips to see perfectly what kind of crap he makes.

So if you haven't seen anything by either one of them yet, don't. Trust me, it's not worth it.
Silveera-Ice
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silveera-Ice »

From what ive hears, Uwe Boll is a complete... well, I cant say it but you can guess it. Lots of people hate him, and supposedly he wants to get his hands on the Legacy of Kain Series, and he better not or else!!!!!! :x
Avatar used is a work from Khaos dog. http://khaosdog.deviantart.com/
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Silveera-Ice wrote:From what ive hears, Uwe Boll is a complete... well, I cant say it but you can guess it. Lots of people hate him, and supposedly he wants to get his hands on the Legacy of Kain Series, and he better not or else!!!!!! :x
Nah, Legacy of Kain might actually work. He mentioned Metal Gear Solid too, but that was promptly denied by the developers. He likes to talk big, talk like he's hot s---, but like I said, his movies are designed to bomb. Something like LOK or MGS could potentially turn a profit just based on the fan bases even with Uwe Boll's name attached to it. For that reason, I don't think Boll will ever move to acquire the rights to any game that was ever halfway decent to begin with.

Really, why else would he follow up a fiasco like Bloodrayne with two sequels? Because the first one did exactly what he wanted it to: it crashed and burned.
NightSlash
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightSlash »

Stop insulting Uwe Boll or he'll challenge you to a boxing fight.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

NightSlash wrote:Stop insulting Uwe Boll or he'll challenge you to a boxing fight.
Not unless he knew he was fighting a total amateur. Just like he likes to talk big but only makes crap movies, he also likes to talk tough but only fight total wimps.

I used to be pretty good at Fight Night (used to be because my PS2 mysteriously vanished right before I left Vegas), so that'd make me too tough for Boll's standards. :lol:

Shame too. If he did fight me, that would be my film debut. That's another one of Boll's weird quirks -- he'll throw in stupid, random and completely irrelevant footage into the middle of one of his films because. . . Because. . . I dunno, just to make it more crappy I guess. :P
Khamul
Just Bitten
Just Bitten
Custom Title: Hiking metal punks... Forever!
Mood: Bored

Post by Khamul »

Haven't seen many of their films but House of the Dead has left a permanent scar in my mind.
"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives." - A. Sachs
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

This just in: Uwe Boll is being given a Lifetime Achievement award. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .BY THE RAZZIES!!!

:grinp: Click
Silveera-Ice
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silveera-Ice »

METAL GEAR SOLID! your kidding me, how would he make a film outa that? he would ruine it, thats my oppinion, based on what people tell em about him.
I dont think an LOK film would work anywya, no matter what director made it...
Avatar used is a work from Khaos dog. http://khaosdog.deviantart.com/