Is this board too strict?

The place for anything at all...
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Re: Is this board too strict?

Post by PariahPoet »

This board is actually about the best governed I have come across. There have been decisions I disagree with to be sure, but I also feel welcome to express my disagreement in a rational, respectful manner.

In most other forums, mods see themselves as gods and ban anyone who has a different opinion. I am very happy to see that even after all these years, The Pack remains a rational, respectful community where members are free to speak their mind. I agree with locking threads that disintegrate into personal attacks because they are counter-productive. But nothing stops someone from bringing the topic up in another post as long as it is intended to be an open discussion and not intentionally offensive.

The Pack has seen relatively little of these flame wars comparatively. I think that is because of the more relaxed attitude of the board. When the rules are so strict as to inhibit the flow of natural discussion, people get irritable. So when a member does have a disagreement and is not allowed to voice it calmly and rationally, it builds up until that individual finally has enough and blows up. If you're going to get a severe reprimand for sharing a different idea courteously, why not forgo courtesy altogether and throw a fit?
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

Nothing I have ever noticed, I have always found it really calm here with how things are handled, nothing too far, trying to maintain a civil forum, if things really do not get snippy, I feel people can deal with things themself. No one wants an out of control forum. This is one of two forums where the admins and mods feel like members and not teachers talking to two year olds, other thing I have seen a lot on other forums.
In most other forums, mods see themselves as gods and ban anyone who has a different opinion.

I have seen that far too many times, just from reading, I tend to avoid such forums, some can be really full of themselves, their under titles can show it was well with things like "Lord Moderator" and the like.
I think that is because of the more relaxed attitude of the board. When the rules are so strict as to inhibit the flow of natural discussion, people get irritable.
People do not like to walk on egg shells, and some boards are like that.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

I keep hearing words like "rank" and "pack hierarchy". I'd like to think that we dont have such a thing here. Most of my time on this forum is just spend randomly chatting. I don't go into admin-mode unless I have to, so I'm just a regular member most of the time. Other admins and mods would probobly tell you the same.

I'm a bit frustrated and saddened that on some occations my typical ramblings, opinions, and suggestions are interpreted as excersizing admin authority. I don't even care to have a title point at me as "the man". It's only there so you know who to contact when you need help. So I'll just say this once more. Unlike other forums, you don't have to kiss an admin's/mod's butt just to remain in the boards, and can treat them as equals. Just be respectful to everyone in The Pack and everyone will be happy.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
W'rkncacnter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Hard to Pronounce

Post by W'rkncacnter »

You know, what you could do would be to begin any post where you're exercising your authority with a big, fat note showing exactly that, something like:

ADMIN MODE

I've been on forums where blog-happy admins did that. It was kind of silly at first, but when the red text o' death comes a-rollin', duck and cover boys!
What can create a new system, or destroy an old one? What can change the lives of everyone who touches it? What can strengthen the whole world, or shake it to its very roots? What can create whole nations, and change the course of history?

An idea.

-Unknown
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Sounds more like a fear factor than a mindset if you put it like that. :lol:
-Kaebora
W'rkncacnter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Hard to Pronounce

Post by W'rkncacnter »

I suppose that's true, but it did get the message across. The guy's name was Chernyl (think chernobyl) and he was a bit of a forum bandit. He would post on every thread, delivering a wacky aside that often made no sense, but sometimes was genuine wisdom. Nice guy.

Then someone would step out of line, and...

ADMIN MODE

Everything that came after that red text was like orders from the gestapo...take it seriously or ban. He only used it when someone was being a serious prick, but yea...duck and cover.
What can create a new system, or destroy an old one? What can change the lives of everyone who touches it? What can strengthen the whole world, or shake it to its very roots? What can create whole nations, and change the course of history?

An idea.

-Unknown
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

MOD MODE

You know, that's not such a bad idea, once it's thought over. It would be a way to stop a hissyfit between two or more posters, and serve to show others exactly what sort of thing is a no-no here in Pack-Land.

It would also serve to show who is talking: another Packster or somebody who has the job of keeping the peace here. That way, it becomes semi-impersonal: you aren't debating, you're doing your JOB as a Mod or Admin.

Methinks this deserves consideration.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I actually like this "Mod Mode" idea quite a bit.

More on an impersonal "Doing my job" sort of basis. I'm really adverse to stepping into arguments sometimes simply because I'm afraid of either using my position to dominate the users in question, or risking a personal resentment from those users.

(also, I approve of GREEN text over the RED. Green has much more a peace-keeper feel to it.)

:grinp:
In most other forums, mods see themselves as gods and ban anyone who has a different opinion. I am very happy to see that even after all these years, The Pack remains a rational, respectful community where members are free to speak their mind. I agree with locking threads that disintegrate into personal attacks because they are counter-productive. But nothing stops someone from bringing the topic up in another post as long as it is intended to be an open discussion and not intentionally offensive.
Yup, I've been on forums where the mods outright ridiculed those who breached the guidelines. Notice that, here, the admins/mods take on a much more covert technique to dealing with problems -- locking threads and using PM's rather than displaying seditious members on a stake.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

That's because the price of stakes has gone through the roof. :lol:

Actually; that was my exact idea.
As Redeye, I'm me; the guy who posts here.
As Redeye Moderator, I'm doing a job.

One way is personal. The other way is "tha Job", and colored text shows which is which.
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

I like that text color idea. I think I'll adopt it. Green text is so much better than red. It says, "I'm here to help, not to destroy you."
:D
-Kaebora
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Kaebora wrote:I like that text color idea. I think I'll adopt it. Green text is so much better than red. It says, "I'm here to help, not to destroy you."
:D
Right. We save the Red for (persons who shall remain nameless on the irc site) when we are ready to ban them. Or worse...

Of course, if we go for the Magenta color; you're dead and haven't realized it yet.
:lol: