Humans who can run on four legs??

The place for anything at all...
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

outwarddoodles wrote:
Lupin wrote:Hmm I just noticed that when I walk on all fours I have a diagonal gait :coolshift:
You have a diagonal gait even when your walking upright on two legs. Just watch how your arms swing as such.
Usually my hands are in my pockets, or carrying stuff, or doing some other thing that prevents them from swinging.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Lupin wrote:
outwarddoodles wrote:
Lupin wrote:Hmm I just noticed that when I walk on all fours I have a diagonal gait :coolshift:
You have a diagonal gait even when your walking upright on two legs. Just watch how your arms swing as such.
Usually my hands are in my pockets, or carrying stuff, or doing some other thing that prevents them from swinging.
Well humans have a natural diagonal gait, though you may not be able to notice on you. One thing you can try is pace like a llama, move the same hand and leg on the side at the same time, its quite weird.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

outwarddoodles wrote:Well humans have a natural diagonal gait, though you may not be able to notice on you. One thing you can try is pace like a llama, move the same hand and leg on the side at the same time, its quite weird.
Giraffes have that weird parallel gait too.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

It takes some practice, but I think humans can walk/run perfect on all fours.

But you've gotta be carefull with it, because if you walk or run on all fours the whole time, your foot-muscles will become smaller, and if that happens, you'll probably walk on your toes the rest of your life. No joke.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
DarkWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Go My Tediz Go To Ze Trenchez

Post by DarkWolf »

Morkuluv UR FROM HOLLAND? OMFG? Dat maakt jou men buurman/vrouw :D IM FROM BELGIUM ! :D :shift: Ill eat u
Alone in the darkness of night, hear our howl,And Join Us
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Kom je daar nou pas achter? :lol:
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
DarkWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Go My Tediz Go To Ze Trenchez

Post by DarkWolf »

Eum Jah :D
Alone in the darkness of night, hear our howl,And Join Us
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

I was very speedy on all fours but you're correct the back problems set in quite early. I suffer really bad back problems. One, from running on all fours. Two, probably wrestling and hitting at each other with swords or fake bows and arrows, throwing each other off trees...probably didn't help. Carrying a heavy bag to school especially in my last years of school...even going to University I have to carry stuff, less but it's still sometimes a lot if I got labs. Playing guitar doesn't help. I hunch over for hours, or when I stand even that can't be good, playing for hours with a band, performing, if you already have a bad back it's not good. Sleeping the way I do, oh god the problems just go on! And you know how common back problems are in this world, everyone I know has something wrong with their neck or back.
So goodbye fourleggedness... -waves at self in past- I have a band meeting I better run. On two legs this time. They need a musician wolf emoticon maybe I'll make one! :P
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

When I was a child, me, my sister and brothers, and some neighbor kids used to have two kinds of races on all fours (and I mean hands and feet, not crawling on hands and knees). One type we called "walking beds" and was done with the back pointing towards the ground and tummy pointing towards the sky. the other kind did not have a name and was like animals walk on all fours, with stomach towards the ground. The nameless kind was much easier and I usually won these. "Walking beds" was much harder and I won about as often as everyone else did.

We also had "frog races" where we pretended to be frogs, and you had to hop in the same position that frogs use. And there was also running downhill (on two feet like normal) really fast on extremely steep hills, so steep that it felt like a cross between flying and falling, and you always got hurt at the bottom, and several other weirds kinds of races.

Running on all fours like an animal, I discovered, is much easier to do on a hill when you are going up. It evens out the arms/legs difference. Maybe if adults did not consider it so silly, more of them would be agile on all fours and then they wouldn't have to pay actors so much to train them for werewolf suits! Isn't there supposed to be a martial art that has all of its moves on all fours, called "monkeying" or something like that? I might be referencing a movie for my information, but I'm not quite sure.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Cordite Eposognatus

Feral Children

Post by Cordite Eposognatus »

Amala and Kamala, the Wolf-children of Midnapore, discovered in 1920, went about on all fours. Having read The Reverend J. A. L. Singh's diary which accounts the events of their capture and care in their entirety, it is noted that they could run as fast or faster than a biped ("it was really a task to overtake them.").

Their bodies had, in fact, adapted to such a degree to this form of locomotion that "Their knee joints and hip joints would not close up or open out. The joints had lost the ability to make flexible movements. Those joints were big, raised, and heavy, covered with hard corns outside from walking on all fours". As their tendons had contracted (also a problem in chronic wearers of high-heeled shoes) they could not stand upright at all initially, and as I recall, it took many months before they were able to attain a bipedal stance.

There are many interesting characteristics besides these exhibited by Amala and Kamala which are of note, and shared with other cases of feral children. Namely adaptations made to an environment and lifestyle which humans have generally forsaken, so it could be a valuable area to investigate and draw inspiration and information from. I myself have in the past done a fair amount of research on the matter and collected a goodly amount of material related to it.

Many consider such stories of feral children to be pure fantasy or hoaxes at best, but there are several (Amala and Kamala among them) which have solid documentation behind them and have not been disproven. If you are seeking more basic information you may wish to look here:
http://www.feralchildren.com/en/index.php

-Cordite
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!
Mood: Excited

Post by Trinity »

In the newer version of 'Planet of the Apes', human actors had to learn how to run on all four. These actors protrayed the Chimp warriors mostly.

Now they used wires and a coveyor belt to give the 'speed' and 'stride' something that would be faster then a regulat human bi-pedal run.

But not all the actors used the wires to help them run. Mostly they were there for safety.

Its in the DVD extras section, and was something that intrigued me. If you are fit enough and felxiable enough, yes.., humans can rn on all fours, get up a decent amount of speed, and not fall over.

:) Not on your knees, but knucles and toes.

XD
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Running

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Haha yeah I've seen that extra I think I mentioned that somewhere. You can't run on knees for long anyway. And yes they did use the conveyer belts for speed for the camera I think. I love Planet of the Apes heehee I love the concept

And I've heard vaguely of the wolf children how facinating! It is true you can have some sort of short term adaptations to things, some creatures do, it isn't exactly evolution or anything but a short term sort of thing.

Frog races lol I think we did that in school. One day we had to run on all fours for a race and guess who won. No one else played any animal games when they were young. Boo to them. I was shy though but I ended up doing it my way despite the looks I got. :howl:  :oo
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Trinity wrote:
:) Not on your knees, but knucles and toes.

XD
I think its rather anoying to walk on your knuckles.
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!
Mood: Excited

Post by Trinity »

*chuckles* Tis only because you don't have the callouses or the comfort, I'm sure.

Persoanlly I think I'd pull my back out. ;) So yeah, irratating indeed. :)
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

You need good arm strength to walk/run on all fours. I found out the hard way I dont have very strong arms to do that for long :P