Wolf News

The place for anything at all...
Sioux
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A life does not have to be human to be great.

Re: Wolf News

Post by Sioux »

"Idaho has authorized the intentional killing of 255 wolves in a wolf hunt, scheduled to begin September 1. The authorized wolf killing via hunting in Idaho represents 30 percent of the last reported Idaho wolf population estimate, which was 846 wolves at the end of December 2008. Montana has authorized the intentional killing of 75 wolves in a wolf hunt, scheduled to begin September 15. Montana has authorized the killing of 15 percent of its last official wolf population estimate, which was 497 wolves at the end of December 2008. There were only 39 breeding pairs in Idaho last year, and just 34 in Montana."

The wolf hunt in Idaho will last till late March.

"Under the challenged U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service wolf delisting rule, Idaho and Montana are free to reduce the wolf population down to 150 per state — a potential loss of roughly two-thirds of the region’s wolves. The scheduled wolf hunts would cripple the regional wolf population by isolating wolves into disconnected subgroups incapable of genetic or ecological sustainability"

“Wolves need to be managed, but in a responsible way that allows for a healthy wolf population while reducing conflicts, rather than aggravating them. The bottom line is that the federal delisting and state management plans don’t provide for a sustainable wolf population in the Northern Rockies, and wolves should not be hunted at this time - particularly not at the unsustainable levels that have been announced for this fall.” Suzanne Stone, Northern Rockies representative for Defenders of Wildlife

So, apparently, in general, Defenders of Wildlife is not against hunting wolves, but they are against hunting prematurely before the population has grown enough to allow healthy, sustainable populations to survive when hunting does begin.
Sioux
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sioux »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWMpMoeN40Q&NR=1

This is a video from the Idaho Fish and Game - obviously on wolves.
If your curious, watch it and share your opinions.

This video is on why wolves in Idaho are being "managed." Apparently, in some areas, they are devastating elk herds. And in those areas is where wolf hunts will mostly be concentrated. Hunting will also take place near ranches as well.
I was given the impression that areas that don't have that problem won't have a lot of hunting done in them.
:|
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

I remember hunting in Idaho years ago before wolves were protected. I paid a good price for a hunt that bagged me a useless animal; full of disease and parasites and completely un-usable for anything.
The reason wolves are taking elk is because said elk are most likely sick, old, or otherwise easier to bring down; and thus make good wolfie dindin.

The problem is that there is a population of challenged humans in Idaho; people who are unable to survive unless they have a steady supply of out-of-state hunters to charge for the providance of Guide Services. The same old, sick, and otherwise unusable elk that could feed wolves are what they guide people to so they can make enough of a living to survive without having to work too hard to do it.
It's a tragedy, really, that these wolves are taking away the work of humans who appear to be mentally incapable of developing another way of making a living.
Since there is a very good supply of hunters for these people to prey on, and since they need some sort of wild animal that is easy to hunt, the wolves are seen as an impediment to their survival and thus must go.

Cattle ranchers are another impacted class; wolves kill calves who are sick or born out of season, and wolves eat calves who die of other causes. Since these ranchers can take a deduction for dead calves which rot on the ground, but can't take a deduction for a calf that a wolf eats; again the wolves present an obstacle to making money and so must be killed.

And if you think I'm being sarcastic...you're right.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sebiale »

RedEye wrote:And if you think I'm being sarcastic...you're right.
Actually I thought you were being serious.
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.
Sioux
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sioux »

Sebiale wrote:
RedEye wrote:And if you think I'm being sarcastic...you're right.
Actually I thought you were being serious.
So did I. :blink:

Anyway, this Youtuber, Eablecreekbrewer, has posted a video called "Idaho Wolf Fact vs. Fiction"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhrqVDz0Vko

In it he goes on to state - and show pictures - that wolves are killing healthy game animals solely for fun or they just eat the fetus from pregnant doe's. I've tried respectfully talking to him, but he always instigates an argument. He just doesn't believe - or he's in denial - that wolves have evolved alongside prey species to establish efficient and well balanced ecosystems.
They are animals capable of keeping wildlife healthy by keeping prey and pest species in check.
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sebiale »

It's probably a personal issue for him then.
No carnivorous species survives by eliminating it's own prey.
In a way, a prey-predator relationship will actually aid both species over time. The predator hones it's ability to kill and thus feed. While the prey species will evolve in such a way that protects them from threats. Although that's a rather...um I'm not sure of the word...cold-hearted view?

Just watch, they're gonna put the wolves back on the endangered species list again and then the hunters will have to gnash their teeth while the wolves get a free pass to eat their livestock. Then they'll feel stupid, and so will the government because they'll have to reimburse the hunters for said livestock :evil:
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.
Sioux
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sioux »

http://www.kirotv.com/video/4167979/index.html

An alpha male at Wolf Haven developed kidney failure and was ordered twice by a WH vet to be euthanized. But the executive director and the board repeatedly said no and the wolf was forced to lay there for days in pain before finally being put to sleep a days later. He was so sick and in so much pain he couldn't get up and he didn't eat - becoming emaciated.
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sebiale »

Not much of a Haven...
What reason did they give for refusal?
Sioux
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sioux »

Sebiale wrote:Not much of a Haven...
No they did not. Wolf Haven's board and executive director are refusing to answer. The organization Wolf People - based in Idaho - had one of their wolves transferred to Wolf Haven years before. Once this incident was heard they repeatedly requested WH to to return the wolf, but WH said no and if they wanted her back Wolf People would have to take them to court. Which they're doing. Wolf Haven's reputation is virtually destroyed.

If you haven't heard of Wolf People here is their website:
http://www.wolfpeople.com/

They own a compound like Wolf Haven where they house rescued wolves and such. They also have a nice cabin like store where they occasionally bring some of the wolves for an up close and personal encounter. I love their online store. They have some amazing silver rings with black wolves running along the band that don't cost too much. They also some pretty cool wolf pockets knives as well. But, of coarse they have all kinds of stuff so...
Sioux
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sioux »

Now, I know there is a rule against double posting, but all thing considering, I figured this warrented it's own.
Like I've stated before, wolf season starts in Idaho today - September 15th for Montana. So wish our furry friends well; say a prayer, therian's give a howl, or whatever it is you want to do. Pray that their paws are swift and their senses are sharp and focused. Lets hope they remain elusive and make this season hard as hell for these hunters.
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sebiale »

:howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo hwlwnk hwlwnk hwlwnk
8)
Too bad it isn't winter, then those hunters could look all season and find nadda.
Of course, if they take to the air things become more difficult for the wolves...
Sioux
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sioux »

Well, I've been informed that one hunter succeeded today. So far, only one wolf has been killed.
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sebiale »

1 wolf a day, they keep that up and they'll make those hunters look bad :evil:
Sioux
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sioux »

Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Sioux wrote:
Sebiale wrote:Not much of a Haven...
No they did not. Wolf Haven's board and executive director are refusing to answer. The organization Wolf People - based in Idaho - had one of their wolves transferred to Wolf Haven years before. Once this incident was heard they repeatedly requested WH to to return the wolf, but WH said no and if they wanted her back Wolf People would have to take them to court. Which they're doing. Wolf Haven's reputation is virtually destroyed.

Now wait a second. These people care so much for wolves, but I think it's ironic how some of the same people pushing to euthanize that wolf would probably be sickened at the thought of doing the same thing to a human being with kidney failure. That vet must have thought it was the morally correct decision to kill the wolf... but if he was a doctor, the situation would be totally different, right?

We cannot adequately defend our fellow animals if their lives are inherently inferior to our own.
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sebiale »

But the flaw in that logic is that we don't know what the vet's views on human euthanization are. The vet could very well be fine with it.
I don't know many people nowadays who say that we should keep someone alive if they will still die very shortly but with extreme pain. DNR is legally acceptable.
How would you even go about involuntary euthanasia on animals? Go ask their pack members if it's okay?
The big problem is euthanization for non-medical reasons, and in this instance, why someone would hold off euthanization for a legitimate medical reason.
If I was lying screaming in a hospital with no hope of recovery, someone better damn well put me out of my misery....but now we've gotten off-topic.