Your ideal werewolf

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Re: Your ideal werewolf

Post by Terastas »

One thing I forgot (cuz' it was after midnight and I was really tired) when I wrote that which is sort of important:

Relation to other werekin:
Werecats, wererats etc. are all products of various mutations of the predominant lycanthropic strand. Infection passes on a mature strand, so werewolves infect werewolves, werecats infect werecats, etc., but reproduction passes on the dormant form I mentioned earlier. More often than not, that dormant form of lycanthropy will mature into one similar to that of the parent(s), but variations do occur.

In other words, werewolves, werecats etc. are not actually different species. Werekin can only distinguish one from the other based on their appearance: It's a werewolf if it looks like a wolf, a werecat if it looks like a cat, etc. When it comes to werekin, in other words, species is in the eye of the beholder.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Bloodyredbaron wrote:
Dreamer wrote:
Bloodyredbaron wrote:The werewolves that I'm writing about now are essentially monsters, in fact that's why I write about things like werewolves and vampires, because they aren't human, even if they once were. They aren't just normal people who can turn furry at will, being bitten changes you, doesn’t remove your free will but the very act of the first change, the sudden, uncontrollable and violent change from man to beast if a very traumatic change and changes the person physiologically if they aren’t ready for it. The question is, does being a monster make you evil or do you still have a choice?

I emphasize this in design, it would be easy to just stick a wolf’s head and stick it on a furry guy’s body and slap and tail and mess up their legs, finding all the points in between man and wolf is half the fun of designing a werewolf.
What do you mean that they are esentially monsters, albeit you put in an addndum around the end that they aren't always evil. Explain further please.
A common theme in my writing is that monster=/=evil. Werewolves, vampires, ghouls, and daikaiju are supernatural beings with destructive tendencies inherit to their nature. I tend to classify a monster as a being that feeds from or is a predator of humans as part of it’s base instincts or nature. (Or, by choice)

Much of the point I try to emphasize in my character development is how these former humans deal with becoming this monster, rejecting it outright would mean rejecting yourself and your nature, which is not psychologically healthy. Embracing it completely and utterly, and letting it consume you will lead to normal people and maybe your fellow monsters getting hurt. The trick is acknowledging your supernatural heritage and accepting it without letting it destroying what remains of your humanity. That’s the journey most of my vampire and werewolf characters take, becoming a monster, and then accepting that fact, and then finally choosing how that affects you and what you become.

This is why “werewolves are just people too!!!!111” doesn’t appeal to me. My ideal werewolf is a monster, but it has the choice to be an evil monster.

I also try to work in at least one Lizzy Caplan reference into my books. Just one.
So your werewolf is not inherently evil, but still with a very high horror bent. Good idea.
XIV
Bloodyredbaron
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Undead Mutant Dinosaur
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Bloodyredbaron »

Dreamer wrote: So your werewolf is not inherently evil, but still with a very high horror bent. Good idea.
I do sometimes write about inherently evil werewolves on the like, but it's not often that the story needs it.

For the most part, I shape the werewolves to fit into the story I'm writing.
"I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but it's just eggs hatching."
-Jack Handey
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Dreamer wrote:So your werewolf is not inherently evil, but still with a very high horror bent. Good idea.
*nods* Something doesn't necessarily need to be evil to be terrifying. If anything, taking away the evil and making their behavior rational, maybe even justifiable, makes for even greater horror.
Bloodyredbaron wrote:Much of the point I try to emphasize in my character development is how these former humans deal with becoming this monster, rejecting it outright would mean rejecting yourself and your nature, which is not psychologically healthy. Embracing it completely and utterly, and letting it consume you will lead to normal people and maybe your fellow monsters getting hurt.
*nods* It's about the same in mine too. Vampires that try to deny their nature and resist drinking blood inevitably suffer withdrawal symptoms that can lead to permanent retardation, but vampires that indulge in it and drink to excess develop an addiction to go with their supremacy complexes, both of which draw attention to themselves and run the risk of getting themselves killed. The middle ground is to recognize their nature as a problem they have to live with and try to remedy it with either gradual reductions in the amount they drink, or by drinking substitutes (like how the vampires in Night Watch used pig blood instead of human, for example).

Same with the werewolves: shifting takes a toll on the mind and body, so overindulging in "da' beast" can drive someone mad, but bottling it all up and refusing to shift just makes them that much more volatile when they finally can't hold it in any longer; the middle ground is once again to recognize what they are, what it means and what they can do to make life easier.

The funny thing is that the characters I'm writing about who recognize themselves as monsters in this way are also the ones that I find the most believable as human beings. Part of what makes vampires and werewolves so horrific, I'm starting to think, is that they're really not that much different from the rest of us after all.
Shingmanituu
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Ever wild,never free
Mood: Happy

Post by Shingmanituu »

Werewolf- species homo erectus lupus

BIOLOGY

*Physical,sexual and metabolic*

*Short end of normal human stature for body type and average gender,muscular structure is more dense.Limbs are shorter,more muscular(most cases),chest area is more broad and expandable lung capacity is greater(plural space)Joints are hypermobile and ''double jointed''.Pelvis is not as broad as a humans.Forehead and browline not as pronounced above orbital margin,overbite is common. So is peridental teeth and low birth weight in infants.Female gender hits puberty aprox 6-8years of age resulting in premature human development of adult sexual characteristics,though the werewolf reaches absolute sexual maturity at age 27years of age at wich change of body/shapeshifting is fully developed.Shapeshifting requires more energy and resources than remaining in a human state.It is not painful to the shapeshifter,but pleasureable.Males can be 'aroused' sexually during the transition.Mating/reproductive cycles in the female werewolf are dual,and both utilise the same organs.Single eggs on a monthly basis as with a human.Multiple eggs are released only on the cycle related to the wolf cycle,wich occurs 2-3 times a calender year.This cycle is noted by same sex aggression,territorial behaviour,increase in libido,increased appitite,secretions from glands in the fingers and the face,( oily musky garlic smell),and a stronger musky secretion from the genital area.This cycle lasts about 3 weeks.At this time the female will maim or kill any male who rejects her,and will maim or kill any competition for a mate.Mating is agressive,and male is required to subdue the female,who will not submit without a fight. Any male unable to restrain the female,or unable to establish a dominant position, will be attacked and possibly killed,during the pre-mating behaviours.Mating will ensue,and repeat.Male genitals engourge but do not lock the pair as with canids.Mating is very rapid thrusts by the male,whom is held in place,by a bite in the nape of neck or shoulder and/or claws in flesh in or near the underside of pelvis,to subdue the female.Mating can be achieved in human or animal or mixture of forms.
Metabolism is faster than a human,though not as fast as that of a wolf.The average werewolf requires more meat protein than a human,but is omnivorous in diet.Lifespan is that of a human averaging about 65 years or more.Healing is quite rapid from most injuries,wich elongates the lifespan.They are a hardy species and are adept survivors.Werewolves mate for life and packs are familial but as with wolves,there can be rougues,if expelled from a pack due to overcrowding,adversion,or lack of resources or reaching sexual maturity.Werewolves are either born of werewolf parents,or human genetic carriers.2 human carriers will produce a 50% chance of offspring being a werewolf.2 werewolves mating will produce werewolf offspring with a 25% risk the baby will be human(wich is usually abandoned at birth,and left with humans,or raised by werewolves who will remain in human form without revealing themselves).humans who carry one copy per pair,will produce only human offspring.You cannot be 'turned' or become a werewolf through a 'bite',scratch or injury caused by a werewolf encounter.They are geneticly created(born) not infected with a comunicable disease,as once beleived.They are most likely an evolutionary symbiotic species that can interbreed with humans,or humans are a subspecies that can no longer shapeshift.

*Psychology,comunication and behaviour*

Werewolves retain mostly wolf behaviour,but can 'adapt' to mirror behaviour of humans.As with human behaviour,there can be 'deviants' to the normal.Most werewolves behave like true wolves,who are shy,terratorial,heirarchal,protective of family and nurturing to young ones.Aggressive or murderous werewolves are minority.They feel complex emotions,and enjoy play.They are preditory as wolves are,but most do not seek humans as prey.They tend to eat fresh animal meat readiliy available and are very discreet feeders.However,werewolves will kill humans out of defense,fear or vengance.They form very deep bond with their packmates,and are intensly loyal.
Werewolf personality varies as much as human ones,so there is no 'werewolf personality'.There are cranky wolves,stratigists, brats, primadonas,lazy wolves,insanes,laid backs,intellectuals,healer/nurturers,soldiers,in a mix thereof in every pack.

Terratories are marked with clawed trees and scent marking.Howling reinforces these boundries.You will be asked to leave if you tresspass unknowingly.Do not enter the terratory of a known werewolf pack.Werewolves will not tell you twice,and could result in injury or death from a werewolf defensive manouver to expell you from their terratory.

Howling is a normal comuntication and has varied reasons.Werewolves howl to 'rally' the pack, to mourn,to ask for help, to seek compainionship and at locate other pack members over distance.Yipping,barking,squeaking,and growls add to the language of werewolves,whom can also speak native human languages.Comunication is very important to werewolf soceity.

*social order*

The social order of werewolves mirror wolf society.Alphas,betas, and omegas.

Alpha Werewolves.

Alpha status is the top 2 werewolves of the pack.one opposite gender pair who are mates or same gender pair(mother/daughter or father/son or 2 same sex siblings,friends or relatives)who are leading a pack, starting a pack or are a remaining packs only living members.This is the leadership position.Much like a governmental body(president,first lady thing) Best rescources, living quarters,and highest councel in pack strutcure and lifestyle choices.

Beta werewolves

Lower position from alpha pair,majority of the pack is ranked,in some varying degree a 'beta'.The status would be simular to upper/middle class in humans.2nd best food, living quarters,etc.

Omegas

Would be simular to the lower income/poverish people.Last rate food,fringes of pack soceity, scapegoates for pack frustration,play inducers(as in wolf packs)

Werewolf appearance-physical.

werewolf form-anthropomorphic

Fur covers the body,thinnest on the legs,arms,paws and face, tapering to slightly longer on the body.Thickest fur is the ruff of the neck and down the back.in summer there is no or reduced undercoat.In colder months the undercoat is dense,wooly and extremely insulating.Fur has an oily waterproofing,seceretion to provent ice forming or waterlogging.Ears are medium sized,well furred and erect.Teeth tip (canines)are just visable from under the lips.
Eye color varies, but predominantly golden,blue or black/brown eyes,though greens,and hazels can be found.Front feet are handlike,with the thumb slightly shortened and articulated differant (joint loses some mobility,but still funtions as a ''thumb) claws are short and curved,but semi-sharp,resebling a dogs but sharper. hind legs resemble that of a wolf only longer,hind paws have 4 toes, the 5th toe grows into a hind dew claw,so not touching the ground.Werewolf walks semi-erect and can run on all fours easily or stand and walk in an erect form as well.Males have a penile sheath,and have silgthly altered reproductive organs.The male werewolf penis,assumes a more canid appperance in the way of a bulb glandis,instead of a human appearing shaft.Head of the penis is the same as a human male.Testicular placement is the same.Testicles become more heavily furred. Female external gentialia are more furred,but do not alter in general form.Tails are present,heavily furred and are 1/2 to 3/4 legth of the body.

Werewolf-full wolf

appears as an oversized wolf with subtle differances,5th toe as a dewclaw on hind feet,oversized and unusual eye colors.heavier and larger than the average wolf.
Pet's name: Ashe
Adopt your own!Sometimes the wolves are silent,and the moon is howling.
heartlessfang
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: I'm a manga artist/comic artist/writer. I've taken martial arts for about 11 years. Never played any of the Werewolf card games.
Mood: RAR!

Post by heartlessfang »

I've been at this thing for a ridiculous amount of time. So in lieu of my year anniversary on tpf: Here is my thingy!

Genre
Fantasy realism/realism....I usually have a one size fits all set for my wolves....but now that I'm older and "wiser" I design my wolves on a world to world basis. For example; My wolves for my manga in development "Chaos in Kokoro" are completely differnt my wolves for my other mini manga "Das selber leid", so these rules are just a list where I can pick, add, and subtract information from for different races of werewolves....but for further reference, all of these rules apply to the wolves of Das Selber Leid( with some exceptions of course).

Signs of Lycanthropy in Human Form

Nothing really...their canines might be a bit longer than some humans...and they are more aware of their surroundings than most humans. Their eyes may seem "brighter/wild". Those who were turned recently might behave differently, (stuff like mood swings and appetite changes.....stuff that one might mistake for puberty....or drugs.....) But this method is rather unreliable. They just seem like normal people.

Mass Gain from shifting

I have two different body types for werewolves :
Average/speed: basically the person only gets an inch or two taller. Muscle mass is not increased, but the muscle fibers are strengthened. This also depends on the build of the wolf. The human will be about the same proportionally in wolf form, and are fast and have high endurance like real wolves.

Power types: They gain about 20-100 pounds of muscle mass, which also depends on the wolf's build. The humans themselves tend to be taller and heavier built than others, so it's very easy to spot a power type wolf. These wolves are built to take on bigger creatures like werebears or werecats (by werecats, I mean big cats. since big cats are much larger than wolves naturally.)

*a small note here.....I tend to throw the word average around quite a bit here....but I have no real median to go on....so generally height would be somewhere from 5 1/2-6 feet tall and weigh 100-170 pounds...

Height
This depends on the wolf's height in human form. But generally "average" wolves are about 6-7 feet tall while "average" power types are 7-8 1/2 feet tall.

Muscles
both power and average have much stronger frames and muscles than most humans.
A wolf's upper body isn't that much stronger than a human who lifts weights daily(so basically they are about as strong as a moderately trained human. their muscles become a bit more suited for running. (So not bulky, but lean. ).
Power type wolves wolves have greater upper body strength and are strong enough to flip over a small car with some effort. as a result though, they are much more lumbering and much less agile than average wolves.

Head
Identical to a real wolf with a few differences in facial muscles. The facial muscles give them more human expressions.

Eyes
Their eyesight in hybrid is slightly worse than their eyesight in human form, and becomes even worse in full wolf form.

Eye color translates from human form, and if eye color does change in wolf form, it is a color very close to the original. (i.e. A wolf can't go from brown eyes in human form to having silver or blue eyes in wolf form, unless there is some sort of magic involved in their shifts.) For example: wolves with brown eyes with either keep their color when they shift or they'll turn yellow or amber. Blue eyes become lighter blue or turn silver. Green eyes are very rare in wolves in this respect. Unless the human form had green or hazel eyes, a wolf with green eyes is usually a sign of a magical transformation or a ploy of greater forces.

Fur
Fur color depends mostly on the individual. Hair color and fur color usually match up, though after the first shift, the hair color might change in hue slightly to match up with the wolf form. There are some cases where a wolf's hair in human form may change to match the wolf form. For example, wolves with completely white, gray, or black fur can affect the human form.

Hair Retention
short hair usually gets overwritten by fur while longer hair stays in wolf form. (ex: a human with a buzz cut will only be seen as regular fur in wolf form. While seeing a werewolf with a pony tail, or even an afro wouldn't be abnormal.((well maybe a 'fro on a wolf would be a bit shocking....))
Level of Fur Coverage
entire body

Claws
Claws are generally 1-2 inches long, depending on the handpaw size. They are pretty sturdy and can be used for combat enough to not break after several slashes. In human form they look like regular fingernails, just a shade darker and slightly pointed.

Sounds
They can use human speech, and the full range of canine vocal noises. Their voices are generally the same when shifted(sometimes the vocal range gets lower,so it might sound as though they have a sore throat...). In full wolf form, human speech is inaccessible.

Male/Female differences
same as with humans. Though how masculine/feminine a wolf's figure is depends on the person.

Speed and Strength
Their legs can propel them far greater distances and heights than human ones. Average adult wolves can leap about 8 feet in a single jump forward. Upper body strength isn't exactly a werewolf's strong point, but they can hold their own in an arm wrestling match against many humans. Power type wolves wolves have much greater upper body strength and are strong enough to flip over a small car with some effort. as a result though, they are much more lumbering and much less agile than average wolves(which gets them stereotyped as slow, clumsy, and rather dim... Which isn't true.). On all fours they can run about 20 mph and can keep a pace of 15 mph for hours when traveling.

Silver
Just like most creatures, silver is fatal to werewolves with a large enough dose. But in small doses it has two effects. It decimates their regenerative abilities and their resilience, causing a severe fever that may cause death. Wounds from knives or bullets that are caused by silver don't poison; they just take slightly longer to heal; Though this does depend on the location of the wound.

The Moon
No effect mostly. The moon is often used spiritually/magically and for hunts rather than shifting. Though new wolves may fool themselves into believing that the moon does have an effect on their shifts, along with other psychological effects. All of these psychological effects are labeled under the "Hollywood syndrome". (yup. I'm using it too.)

Children
Wolves generally have children just as humans do. The form that the child is born in depends on the mother's form during birth.
As such, a woman in full wolf gives birth to a child in full wolf, who has to learn to shift into both human and hybrid through training.

Hybrid mothers give birth to hybrid children who have an easier time shifting to human from the start.

Human mothers give birth to human children, and usually shifting ability is locked for humans until puberty, though sometimes it can be years before it happens, or the wolf might go through their whole lives without learning how to shift. Generally these humans are more robust and longer lived than normal humans. The first shift can also be unlocked earlier through sheer stress.(*coughsupersaiyansyndromecough*).

Forms

Human

Hybrid: http://sonicjr53.deviantart.com/art/cli ... -133472985

Full lupine: This form looks identical to a real wolf, though the strange markings may give them away. Also, some may be larger than normal wolves and their front paws may posses a thumb that can be used for various things( like opening refrigerator doors to steal all of your food). This form usually takes a lot of training for others not born in this form to achieve.

Illness
they are generally immune to most illnesses....but from time to time wolves living in the wild can be afflicted with canine parasites and diseases.

Injury and Age affecting shifting
Shifting while heavily injured is usually not recomended. Doing so can reopen new wounds or deal more damage during the shift or cause one to shift incorrectly. Smaller wounds can be ignored, since they can heal slightly while shifting.
Age does not affect shifting ability in the least, or rather it becomes a question of how often do they shift in the first place. If one goes too long without
it shifting( let's say a few weeks to a year), they may have to force their shifting; which could be quite painful. Some wolves living in the wild may simply choose to renounce their human forms altogether.

Control
Perfect control over themselves. Though this definition of control varies from individual to individual. Some consider their alternate forms(be they human or otherwise) alter egos rather than just changing costume. In most cases though, the longer you have it, the more control you have.

Life Span
The oldest wolves were said to live for almost 400 years, but there are legends of some wolves who have never died. "Virtual Immortality".....those who will never die from old age, but still can be killed.

Regeneration and Healing
Most minor wounds such as cuts and scrapes usually heal within the hour, to a few minutes.
deeper wounds like stab wounds and bullet wounds may take a few weeks to a few months, while broken bones depend on the severity of the damage.

Senses
Very, very acute hearing. Even in human form. Many wolves have even given up listening to recorded music because their ears can pick up imperfections in recorded music and radio.
Sense of smell is pretty amazing. from picking up old trails to telling peoples emotions, ages, and genders, a wolf's nose is their number one tool and weapon.
Sight remains about the same as human...though when going into hybrid or full wolf, their sight gets worse(more like, their depth perception goes out the window...). In human form their night vision improves, and it vastly improves when in wolf or hybrid form.

Feet
digitigraded. With claws tipping each toe that gives them traction like cleets.

Tail?
yup!

Dead Werewolves.....
stay in the form they were killed in. Eraser wolves can envoke a lil magic to reanimate the corpse for a short time and manipulate them into whatever form they please. Because not all can hide evidence like eraser wolves can, killing another wolf (especially of your own pack) is a very serious offence, since the corpse is not easily hidden, and it is easy for a human to stumble across

Mentality
as human as their human forms, with hints of wolf, in their behavior.
But there is a strain of werewolf that exists that is the equivalent to a mindless beast. These I call class B werewolves. They are where most of the stereotypes of werewolves were spawned from. ( FYI: class B werewolves exist in "Das Selber Leid", but their numbers are controlled by other packs of werewolves. They can be brought into other packs if they rent as hostile as they typically are, and they tend to calm down when exposed to pack life. Eventually they can reawaken their human sides through this. Otherwise, more hostile wolves must be killed)

Society
Humans naturally need socialization, and real wolves do even more. So, belonging to a pack is something that all my werewolves innately seek. Or some sort of fellowship like a pack. Urban wolves who don't have families may often join gangs or other groups in order to fulfill that part of themselves. Lone wolves have high suicide rates, which goes without saying.

There are wolves that may become separated from their packs by choice or by chance, but the actual term "lone wolf" is a term for wolves who have omitted an abhorrent act; when death is not enough to cover their crime, they are exiled from their pack. There is a complex shame ritual in which the whole pack is in assembly. The said wolf's left eye is given a vertical slash (usually preformed by the alpha or their resident shaman/eraser.)
with a claw steeped in a special solution contain silver. This leaves a scar over their eye which blinds it as well, and the ritual locks them into their present form(usually hybrid) for their entire lives. Though this cannot be undone, there are very rare cases when a wolf is let back into a pack after receiving such a mark.

Other wolves will avoid or attack wolves with this mark, and usually become social outcasts or homeless after the fact.

A pack is is similar to a real wolf pack in structure, but the politics are more malleable.

Choosing an alpha is partly democratic, partly experience, and partly innate personality. The process to become Alpha varies on the traditions of each pack. Some have battle rituals or tournaments, while others may vote on their new Alpha.
Alpha wolves generally act as the entire pack's protector and representative: much in the same way of human political leaders, they make most of the major decisions in the pack. The Alpha female (the alpha's mate/wife/best friend in a nutshell) may also end up taking leadership instead of the Alpha male if the rest of the pack wills it.

Beta wolves don't really exist in pack structure, but for practicality, they are the general populace of the pack excluding the Alpha pair and the Omega.

Omega's have a different role in packs than regular wolves. Rather than bearing the brunt of the pack's frustrations physically, they must do so mentally. Omegas have to be innately good listeners, negotiators, and moderators, since in actuality their job has equal, if not greater importance to a pack than the alpha. In most cases if the alpha dies, the omega assumes the leadership position, and in some cases permanently. ( just think of them as therapists with fur.)

Relation to other werekin: The general consensus of other werekin consider werewolves at the bottom of the evolutionary ladder, and are therefore lower in social standing. The reasoning behind this has been lost to time.
But during recent years packs have become intermixed with werekin, humans, and even vampires, etc....

Additional notes, lore and terminology:

Eraser Class wolves:
Assassins of the world of werewolves. They are one of the main protectors of the secrecy of werewolves around the world. They were founded during the Dark ages of Europe, when exposure to the public was almost commonplace and war among packs and different creatures was often. with their own charters on every continent and connections with other paranormal agencies, Erasers are what allowed werewolves and other creatures to slip quietly through the Renaissance and the age of Reason til today. Their main jobs range from item delivery to even murdering their own packmates. This makes them continually walk a literal tightrope between Savior and mass murderer.

Eraser class werewolves are trained to fight 5 or more Power type werewolves(8-10ft tall and 400-600 lbs= 2 werebears "grizzly" class. which can be 12ft tall and weigh 1000 pounds or more.), unarmed silent kill tactics, stealth, corpse concealment, infiltration, and various other techniques. In their own packs these individuals are regarded with both reverence and fear, which may make other pack members behave quite distant to them. One must pass the aptitude tests and years of training in order to become a fully fledged eraser. Most resign within 2 years of service, as the strain becomes to great. But these individuals are put under strict surveillance afterward. Erasers do not take deserters lightly, and consider retired Erasers high priority threats within packs. Violating the code of Erasers grants an instant discharge. Meaning death.

Shaman:
Despite the mystic title, a Shaman is a general term for a wolf with magic, a high spiritual awareness, or a wolf that acts as a spiritual leader/guide for their pack.

Lone wolf: See "Society" section

Hollywood Syndrome: This is a complex psychological condition that often afflicts new wolves who were became werewolves either by accident or otherwise. These are often brought about by ignorance on the new wolf's part, who rely only on movies to get information about their "condition". This can usually be averted if one has a senior/guide wolf that can properly explain things soon after the first shift. The most common of these are listed below.

1.Moon called

Generally, this is when a wolf thinks that the moon controls all his or her shifts, sometime causing the said wolf to often fear the moon.
2. JekylHyde
Beleiving that ones werewolf form has a separate, and sometimes evil, personality apart from their own, causing the new werewolf to fear their transformations. In some cases, after shifting, the wolf may experience a sort of delerium, inducing a dangerous dream like state of mind that might futher aggravate the wolf's condition.
sugarpoultry
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: awwoo

Post by sugarpoultry »

My idea of what werewolves are. Quoted from the bit on my website.
About Werewolves

They are simply humans with the ability to shift into a werewolf or wolf. To some, its the other way around. The human is actually their mask, or camouflage. It is what keeps them safe from man (who they believe are the real enemies), though not all werewolves believe in this.
Werewolves have two basic forms, the feral (wolf) form, which is the natural wolf to blend in better with nature and their ancestors, then there is the anthro form, which is the bipedal werewolf form.
Werewolves take pride in their heritage and prefer to live in the wild like their ancestors, the wolves, do. Some prefer to live in packs, others on their own. They need to stay safe from humanity and their identities must be kept secret.

This is the best image of both genders and how I like them to look.
(The only difference is that unless the male already has really long hair to begin with, his hair will never grow that long. It will stay short around the mane). Same with females, but 99% of females have longer hair so it will grow out like the female pictured.)

Werewolf mythology

According to very old legends, werewolves used to be regular wolves, who were the guardians of men. Even though they loved men, they envied them and their ability to walk and speak and do all the things they never could.
So wolf stood up, and became man, and mimicked them, and behaved like them, but it wasn't enough. They became so jealous they prayed to the moon and to mother nature, asking her to grant them the ability to be human (this is where the moon myth comes from). Finally, they got their wish and thus, the werewolf was born. A creature who could take the shape of both human and beast, and be both in harmony.
After a while, man became jealous of the werewolf's strength and abilities and cast them out, which is why now the werewolves no longer associate with humans. Thousands of years past, and the humans forgot about the wolves, and began hunting and killing them for meat and for pleasure. This angered the wolves and caused to attack, but realizing that the abilities they wished for came with a price, and caused the humans who were bitten to become like them. They also realized that their children were born human. Every gift must come with a price.
The wolves retreated more into the wild, cutting themselves off completely from the human society and man grew to be the dominant creature on the planet.
Now in modern days, the werewolves continue to stay hidden in the wild, living as both man and beast. Some live closer to civilization and even in it, in secret. And some wolves (even the ones we see in the wild) don't even know they have the ability to shift into a human. Some do, some don't, but all are connected to each other.

Differences between Werewolves and Wolves

* Can walk upright like a human, as well as on all fours
* Body is built more like a humans and matches their anatomy for both male and female
* Can speak human tongue clearly (their voice does not change with the transformation). This is harder but possible in their feral (wolf) form
* Paws have a more human hand shape to them and they can grab, point, gesture, even play a musical instrument!
* When standing (bipedal like a human), they can easily reach up to 10 feet tall
* Very strong muscular structure, and obviously bigger than regular wolves (even on all fours)
* Their faces can have character and personality. For instance, regular wolves can't wink, frown or smile
* Werewolves can take the form of a normal every day sized wolf (fural form) to blend in, though they are still larger than an average wolf

Differences between Werewolves and Humans

* Can heal extremely fast
o Cuts, scrapes and bruises heal within hours, very small cuts such as paper-cuts within minutes
o Large gashes, gunshot wounds and serious stabs heal within a day
o Unfortunately, loss of fingers and limbs do not heal
* Has super strength; can easily lift a small car and toss it, jump very high, and run fast (even in human form)
* Heightened senses; hearing, sight, smell, etc.
* Incredible night vision, even while in human form
* Ages normally, like a human, does not have immortality
* Cannot be killed unless the brain is disconnected from the body, the heart is physically removed from the body or burnt with fire

Werewolf Myths

* Silver, crosses, holy water, etc., cannot harm a werewolf
* Werewolves have control over their shifts, the full moon has no effect
* They are not mindless monsters controlled by lust for blood or have savage animal instincts like in the movies, they are simply humans with the ability to shape shift into a wolf or werewolf. Their human mind has complete control of the wolf. (Although blood can trigger desires. They are, after all, carnivores)
* Werewolves don't have gory transformations like the movies, the transformations are quick and sometimes painful, unless they do it often. The longer you go without shifting, the more painful the transformation is

How to become a Werewolf

You are either born or 'reborn'.

It isn't a curse. More like a disease, but then again, not really. It's considered more to be a blessing. The only way you are turned or 'reborn' is to, of course, be bit by a werewolf. But, this not just any bite, it needs to be a strong bite, giving the chance of plenty saliva (or venom, which carries the gene) to be mixed well with your own blood.
Turning involves biting down hard and allowing plenty of saliva to seep on an area where the blood flow to the heart is fast and constant, such as the neck or wrist. It takes a few seconds to reach the heart from there, but once it does, it takes about a minute to completely circulate through a humans body. Usually before a bite, a werewolves mouth fills up with the amount needed, causing them to almost drool. This usually ensures a better chance of a successful transformation.
The werewolf will make a deep incision with his fangs--allowing the saliva to move freely from his/her mouth--closing their lips around the wound to keep it contained. This can be difficult if the human moves around in pain too much.
As this is happening, their werewolf genes will mix with yours. It takes a moment after it cycles a few times--assuming the process worked--until the transformation begins, starting with the bite wound completely healing. Then the human will make a full transformation to their default form (anthro), and the first time is always the most painful.
If no transformation happens, it means either not enough venom was given, or their blood wasn't healthy. If this happens, a transformation will never happen, and that person is now incapable of changing. A bite after that would be ineffective, and the human would most likely carry that scar for the rest of their life.
This process is still dangerous because if done carelessly or incorrectly (such as too much blood loss), it can kill a human.

When you first shift, all of your senses are turned on, and are very overwhelming. During the first few months after being turned, you may have certain urges to get on all fours, sniff things, howl, growl, and even have a craving for all things bloody. At first, controlling your shifting capabilities can be difficult, but once you get used to them, you learn what turns them on or off, as well as your control over your senses. Over time, you will take complete control over all your abilities and of course, change at will.

The moon has no power over your transformations. However, in the presence of the full moon, werewolves feel much more comfortable and are more venerable to changing.
It is also tradition around full moon for werewolf packs to change and hunt like their animal ancestors.

Werewolves from birth are usually much stronger than those that are 'reborn' because obviously not all the genes transfer from the sire.

If you were attacked or bitten, it won't be enough to change you, which means that all transformations are usually deliberate. They can't 'accidently' change someone, which means people are usually chosen or volunteer to become a werewolf. If it did happen with a simple bite or a scratch, you'd think we'd have an epidemic on our hands.
This also means you can't become a werewolf through sexual intercourse.

Puberty/Wolf Maturity

Those who were born as werewolves don't reach full 'wolf maturity' until they reach puberty, which is somewhere between the age of 11 and 14. When they reach that point, their body starts to change rapidly, their urges to transform start to show more and more, almost uncontrollably. At this point, they may only be able to partially shift, showing maybe only fur and fangs.

Just like normal teenagers deal with hormones and changes, werewolves deal with them as well, only they are intensified. The desire to mate, changes in voices, changes in physical size, and of course, the desire to hunt and feed (which can be easily controlled by ones will).
As soon they become aware of the source and understand to control it, they finally are able to change completely to a werewolf (both their fural and anthro form).

Packs

Werewolf packs live in groups together, usually in small rural areas. They can be any number from 4 to up to 100 with a hierarchy. The majority of werewolves live and blend in with normal humans, but they do not separate too far from each other. They have jobs, go to school, pay taxes, and live like normal law abiding citizens (for the most part). But some packs of werewolves live absolutely traditional, meaning they never shift to their human skin. They live in their fural forms all the time, dwelling in the mountains and forests with real wolves. This practice is long but extinct, but there are still werewolves out there who prefer to avoid the costly lifestyle that comes with being a human.

Packs are composed of several status' of leadership. Alpha male, beta male, the mid-rank, and omega. Each part is significant and important in the success of the pack.

Roles in a Pack

These roles are done in a traditional way, the way their great ancestor wolves did it. Of course, with modern human lifestyles, they are slightly different. These roles in the pack are strict, but not permanent, they can always change. The higher the rank, the more in control you are. In a wolf pack there is no equal.

Alpha Male
In order to become the alpha male (or pack leader), you must have been born a werewolf. Most of the time the alpha is chosen according to age or popular vote. If there is a dispute other males display a ritual battle to prove your strength. Whoever walks away alive or less wounded becomes the leader. It is a dangerous game. Most of the time, modern packs discuss leadership in a civil matter.

Once you are nominated alpha, you and your mate (if there is one) are the primary decision makers of the pack. The alpha female can also give orders and has authority over all except the alpha male. They call the shots, address the issues, make changes in leadership roles, and asses threats to the pack.

Beta Male
The beta is second in charge, and answers only to the alpha, and has dominance over all under him. He is the one put in charge when the alpha is gone, or when extra help is needed in governing a peaceful pack. He dominates over the mid-ranking members (or subordinates).

Mid-rank
These make up for the general population of the pack, male and females. They obey and help the pack when needed. They are especially helpful for numbers during hunting.

Omega
The lowest ranking member(s) (can be male or female, or both). They aren't often treated with respect. They usually spend time trying to avoid contact with high ranked members and try to avoid drawing attention to themselves. They are actually lower rank then children. They must obey and yield to all the other adults living in the pack. This rank is chosen by majority, and is usually given to the most unpopular members of the pack. They aren't even allowed to breed unless the alpha gives permission. Even with the harsh position, it doesn't mean they are worthless. Every member in the pack has a purpose.

Identifying a Pack

It's easy to spot a werewolf pack if you know what to look for:

* Big houses with multiple families living in them; brothers, sisters, grandparents, cousins, uncles, aunts, siblings, etc.
* They disappear around the full moon to go and do ritual moon runs and hunting.
* All are usually shy and reserved, and very rarely hang out with normal human families. They pretty much shun being social with humans all together. Even children are advised to only make friends and hang out with wolves of other packs, though some packs are more relaxed with their rules.

Marriage and Relationships

In addition to leading the pack and various other responsibilities, the alpha male can choose a mate (wife) from any eligible female in the pack, as long as she has reached maturity. The females usually have no say in the matter, especially if its the alpha male. Tradition is that if they are chosen by the alpha, they must oblige or suffer a severe punishment, but most packs aren't so primitive.
The main function for a female in a relationship is to give birth to plenty of strong pure-bred children and to help raise them. She can also assist the leader in any duties he allows her. Most, if not all marriages between pack leaders and their wives are very loving, long lasting relationships.

Mid-rank members also have special relationships. Marriages are actually normal. Ceremony, reception, and honeymoon. Of course, werewolves have other own unique traditions.
Mid-rank members can marry any member they wish, as long as they aren't already spoken for, and as long as they aren't pure human. (Dating or falling in love with a human is strictly against the rules and can lead to severe punishment.)

Females are treated with the utmost respect in a pack. They are considered "goddesses". The males feel very dominant and protective over their females, whether they are in a relationship with them or not. Females can give orders as long as its not the alpha male or female. They can also hold high responsibilities in a pack.

There is no homosexuality of any kind in a wolf pack. Gender "roles" are set in stone naturally from birth. Their packs are family centered, with mothers and fathers and children as the most important unit. Having a mate of the opposite sex to breed with is crucial for their survival.

Mating/Breeding

Traditionally, sexual intercourse is done for the specific purpose of bringing young ones into the world, and it is the alpha male and female who have the children. But in the world of humans, that isn't acceptable or normal and it threaten their hidden identities, so sexual intercourse (like human nature) is both recreational and for creating offspring.
When wolves mate, they can do it in any form (anthro, feral or human). Females can get pregnant in any form. When it comes to the actual birthing process, some find it it is best to do it in human or anthro form because of the size of the children.
Just like real wolves, they can have a litter ( or multiple "pups", usually two or three, but no more than four), which are born human.
Birthing is dangerous and painful with multiples as it is with humans, but werewolves cannot be killed in childbirth, so the fear of having large families is eliminated.

Just like regular wolves, werewolves have cycles of heat, in which they have a strong desire to mate. This usually happens only with the females, but with most werewolves, the men have cycles of heat too, which occur once a year, usually in the winter time. This heat cycle normally lasts five to ten days.

A pregnancy for a female is shorter than the 9 months a human would go through. Werewolves grow rapidly, so the gestation can be as short as 3 months or sometimes a little longer depending on how many babies she's carrying.

If werewolves and humans breed, the werewolf gene can transfer to the unborn child, but the child is born human and obtains his/her shifting capabilities later in life. If the female is human, and the child is a werewolf, her pregnancy may be shorter than 9 months. Like werewolves, the possibility of having multiples is increased, but is still rare in human females.

Children

They are loved and adored by all the members of the pack. They are born human and they are raised like normal humans, but still respected and loved like part of the family. They discover the ability to shift later on in life, and don't reach full wolf maturity until puberty.
Even though they aren't the real parents, the entire pack has say in how a child is raised.
Unlike human children, werewolves grow much faster than humans, in fact, they grow 3 times faster than humans (for instance, when they turn one they are physically the size of a three year old). Their growth slows when they get to be 5 years of age (werewolf years). From there, they age normally.
My werewolf novel: www.wolflegend.com
My deviantArt: www.sugarpoultry.deviantart.com
My website: www.jennettebrown.com
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv

Post by Morkulv »

Bleh, Goldenwolfen is highly overrated.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

Bite your tongue. GW's artwork is arguably the best out there.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Uniform Two Six wrote:Bite your tongue. GW's artwork is arguably the best out there.
GW's artwork is indeed very good. . . But, umm. . . It's also very "therian."

So while it is an absolute joy to look at, I seriously do pity anyone that's using it as their primary reference. I don't have a very good visualization of what I expect a werewolf to look like in either of my settings, but I do at least know that I don't intend for them to look pretty (no offense GW). :P
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Uniform Two Six wrote:Bite your tongue. GW's artwork is arguably the best out there.
By technique and fame. Concept-wise, it's pretty boring.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Okay, yeah. It's "very therian", I'll admit. The problem is that there isn't very much good werewolf artwork out there. About the only stuff I really like is Ron Spencer, and since the demise of Apocalypse, (with painfully few exceptions) he's mostly stopped doing werewolf stuff. I just don't think there's all that much out there that's particularly good. Blaqriot was sort of okay (but he's stopped too). Ugh.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Not by a long shot. I've been a werewolf-fan for a good few years now, and I've seen alot more artists that are talented then her. Maybe not as popular, but definately more talented.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Uniform Two Six wrote:Okay, yeah. It's "very therian", I'll admit. The problem is that there isn't very much good werewolf artwork out there. About the only stuff I really like is Ron Spencer, and since the demise of Apocalypse, (with painfully few exceptions) he's mostly stopped doing werewolf stuff. I just don't think there's all that much out there that's particularly good. Blaqriot was sort of okay (but he's stopped too). Ugh.
Take a look at these artists then:

http://solidasp.deviantart.com/
http://black-rat.deviantart.com/

I also knew a artist that had a simular style as Solidasp but his site went offline like a year ago or something for unknown reason. Very disappointing because I thought he was a very talented werewolf-artist.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Okay, to get at least loosely back on topic. . . The only thing Sugarpoultry covered that I didn't was mythology, beucase. . . Well, in my writing, they don't have any.

The reason they don't have any mythology (nor much of an understanding of their true nature) is because there are no surviving werewolves from the previous generation. They have no myth, no culture, not even the vaguest of ideas where lycanthropy even came from to begin with, because nobody lived long enough to write it down. The history of werewolves has been lost to time.

There are varying myths floating around among the community, but most of these were either borrowed from fictional depictions or made up on the spot, and very few because people actually believed in them. More often than not, if someone claims to know the true nature or purpose of werewolves, it's going to be something romanticized that they are only telling you because they think it's what you want to hear, and only because they want you to do something for them. Rogue werewolves, for example, sometimes claim to have been exiled for professing the truth and paint a rosy picture of werewolves to the average young, bipolar "Team Jacob" fan to try and get a pack together before the rest of the werewolves track him down.

One of the themes I'm trying to convey without being at all preachy about it is the age-old adage that people who do not know history are doomed to repeat it, so regardless of whether or not the previous generation deserved to be hunted down and wiped out as they were, the fact that there is not even a memory left of them means there's nothing that the present generation can learn from -- nothing to keep the same thing from happening all over again.

I'm also trying to be even more discrete in drawing a parallel between werewolves and mainstream religions in general. Specifically, it's my assessment that the only priests, rabbis or what-have-you that can be trusted are typically the ones that will confess to feeling just as lost as you are. Werewolves try to fill in that spiritual void (and sometimes give into the therian stereotypes like Celtic druidism and such), but the only ones you can trust are the ones that can only tell you what they think or like to believe instead of what they know. The werewolves in my writing have just as many set-in-stone answers ready for them as the human race at large does: none whatsoever.
sugarpoultry
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: awwoo

Post by sugarpoultry »

People spent more time debating about the art I posted rather than the content. >_> I seem to get more and more disappointed with these forums...
My werewolf novel: www.wolflegend.com
My deviantArt: www.sugarpoultry.deviantart.com
My website: www.jennettebrown.com
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

sugarpoultry wrote:People spent more time debating about the art I posted rather than the content. >_> I seem to get more and more disappointed with these forums...
Well thats because you use the art as your perfect reference. This is what you said:
This is the best image of both genders and how I like them to look.
So yeah, and I happen to not agree with that. Most people I know who are just into werewolf-art pick Goldenwolfen as 'the best werewolf art ever' and I think that is completely blown out of proportion. Like I said, I think its very overrated.

Your description to me is good, but it is nothing special either.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

sugarpoultry wrote:People spent more time debating about the art I posted rather than the content. >_> I seem to get more and more disappointed with these forums...
You have no idea how disappointed I am in just how many people disapprove of me sticking jet turbines, rotary engines, and electromagnetic cores on werewolves. It got to the point where my drawings were labeled as "s***" by one person.

Yeah, real warm, ain't it? That's the virtue of being too different to any clique anyone's in.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

kitetsu wrote:
You have no idea how disappointed I am in just how many people disapprove of me sticking jet turbines, rotary engines, and electromagnetic cores on werewolves. It got to the point where my drawings were labeled as "s***" by one person.

Yeah, real warm, ain't it? That's the virtue of being too different to any clique anyone's in.
Well of course that would look stupid!

Rotary engines? Werewolves are supposed to be synonymous with Gaia / nature. Solar panels would make a lot more sense.
:Jester3:
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Yeah, and driving a powder blue Toyota Prius.
:D
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Silent Hunter »

Well of course that would look stupid!

Rotary engines? Werewolves are supposed to be synonymous with Gaia / nature. Solar panels would make a lot more sense.
One day people will make one werewolf an oil baron or something. That would be an amusing story if done correctly. Maybe him getting introduced to a pack of nature lovin hippies who have no idea who he really is. :lol:

The idea that a werewolf is one with nature is rather artificial in some ways and is more evidence that the human side of a werewolf is ignored in that form.

On a more serious note wolves that can become engines or propell themslves in different ways would be quite god for them ,transport wise. Would also stand a a testement to the power of their own bodies.

In fact, what do you guys of the idea of more sci fi werewolves?
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Silent Hunter wrote:One day people will make one werewolf an oil baron or something. That would be an amusing story if done correctly. Maybe him getting introduced to a pack of nature lovin hippies who have no idea who he really is. :lol:
:sweatdrop: *sits on his advanced Night Life outline*
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Silent Hunter wrote: In fact, what do you guys of the idea of more sci fi werewolves?
They are awesome. Like the Glasswalkers of Werewolf: The Apocalypse. It's a very fun departure from your typical Gaia-loving tree-humper. :grinp:
chubhound
Legendary
Legendary

Post by chubhound »

Sugarpoultry, I have a question for you regarding your werewolves. But I'm rather hesitant to ask it because, A.)It's not exactly on topic for the thread, and B.)I don't wanna get in trouble.
Life is too serious to be taken too seriously
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

My ideal werewolf, hmm, why not, I'll bite.

Genre:
This is split between human and werewolf form, human form is almost entirely real, just subtle tell tale lingering effects from the wolf state, things like knowledge, vision, visions etc all imparted with a dream like softness that it's not startling, almost able to carry strange and disturbing images and feelings under the radar of human sensibility, there to give clues to the characters themselves and the audience watching in, but not like the Film Cursed where it's used as a vehicle to drop statements about society and stuff :P. The werewolf form is also realistic, but in a dreamy fantasy kind of way, ethereal, mesmerizing, as most animals are till you get scientific understanding debunking them.

Physique:
As a force of nature, werewolves should be "fit" within the space of their anatomy's capabilities, and in accordance to "the laws of nature" as they'd apply to the werewolf's body, this means while the experience of being torn to shreds and eaten alive would be monstrous and perception warping to the victim, in reality, it's not that different to enthusiastically hacking up your beef roast with a carving knife for the wolf. My werewolf would have the ability to switch between two and four legs, with long muscular arms that appear evolved rather than trained up strength (something akin to a chimpanzee), long slightly wolfish torso that's slender relative to a human, digigrade legs, and the head can be a toss up between a bestialized human head or full on wolf, overall hanging together gracefully. Intermediate states can be awkward and clumsy, but still capable and not falling around knocking things over just to make the point.

Expression:
Human form, people would do what they do, see weird stuff happening around them, hear rumours and stories, and be wondering what's going on, try rationalize it like ghost stories and reincarnation etc. The werewolf form is pure and free in its expressions which run the full gamete across human and wolf spectrum, and is not just the perma-snarl beast of horror, though capable of being terrifying, and they do kill and ravage, but it's not the mindless slaughter or crime-of-passion all the time, it's possible to encounter one face to face and walk away from it unscathed, dismissed as not important enough to kill, but make no mistake getting close enough to pet one doesn't make it your friend, as is the case with encountering any wild predator, there's danger, and if it wants you dead, you're screwed, but I think there's a lot of mileage in teasing an audience with what is the wolf doing? what is it going to do? what is it thinking? What's it's motivation?

Abilities:
The wolf and human traits complement each other, causing the emergence of new abilities not inherent in either human or wolf, that's as far as I can go because I'm not knowledgeable to speculate on what these might be, Sorry :P.

Prevalence:
Werewolves are rare, lonely creatures, and may seek the company of humans in werewolf form (they are part human after all), resulting in breath taking stand offish close encounters. Aside from the awkwardness of such encounters, the usual gamete of regular day to day squabbling and infighting that occurs between people can also happen between people and werewolves, Obviously that's rare, but possible.

Silver:
Well, this is a bit of plot I had in mind for a story I'm thinking of writing, the deal with silver is simple, a werewolf made a lucrative pact with a church, the church protects everyone with silver weapons, that aren't really a weapon at all, it's just an excuse to get people to hand over their silver, both in terms of paying tribute and to make weapons as the cover up.

The Moon:
Part of the silver hoarding church story line, people stay indoors during the full moon, leaving the coast clear for the werewolf and church, conveniently the moon being full provides anough light to see what you're doing, coupled with the silver scam, this is one possible root of evil that ties the whole thing together.

That's it, I might edit more things in as they come to me, I'm writing this a tad off the cuff here.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.