Jeff Wayne's War or the Worlds

From bands to orchestral to pop music! Shoobie doobie doo wop!! Talk about...... pop pop pop music!!!
PrismWolf
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: Cultivating Red Weed

Jeff Wayne's War or the Worlds

Post by PrismWolf »

Proving undoubtledy that you can compose music to anything, even an invasion of Martians utilizing massive tripod fighting machines. This is certainly my favorite album I've ever heard, and it has to be one of the best peices of music that has ever been created.
Look it up on Youtube, but make sure to find the videos with the listed play times.

Reccomended tracks:
Eve of War (9:06)
The Artilleryman and the Fighting Machine (10:36)
Forever Autum (7:45)
Thunder child (6:07)
No one would have believed in the last years of the 19th century, that human affairs were being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves with their various concerns they were scrutinized and studied as narrowly as one studies the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.
Lewis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lets mosh like a werewolf
Mood: Happy

Re: Jeff Wayne's War or the Worlds

Post by Lewis »

i have that album it is very good i got it about 7 years ago :D
Don't blame it on sunshine
Don't blame it on moonlight
Don't blame it on good times

well actually do blame it on the moonlight :P
Gevaudan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Music Lover
Additional Details: Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!

Post by Gevaudan »

I love this album! It's fantastic how the imagery of the Martian invasion is constructed so vividly in my mind from just the music alone (not including the dialogue and thought-provoking lyrics). Everyone involved with the project was incredible, and it's a shame that it's not as well recognized here in America. I love concept albums, which is how I stumbled across it, but it's interesting even if you just like the disco music of "The Eve of the War," or the quiet strumming guitars on "Forever Autumn." This is an album that has been on repeat on my music player for many weeks. Isn't it great?
:D
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
PrismWolf
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by PrismWolf »

Don't forget the the Heat-Ray solo in The Artilleryman and the Fighting Machine, probably the most astounding moment of the entire album.
No one would have believed in the last years of the 19th century, that human affairs were being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves with their various concerns they were scrutinized and studied as narrowly as one studies the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.
Gevaudan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Music Lover
Additional Details: Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!

Post by Gevaudan »

Is it just me, or does "Brave New World" sound both promising, insane, and somehow sinister at the same time?
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
PrismWolf
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by PrismWolf »

The idea behind that one, I believe, is to show the lunacy of the plan, bring together Wells' point of view on society, and present an alternate ending to the story. In the original book, the artilleryman's plan is directly contrasted by the unimpressive trench him and his group of survivors have constructed, showing that although the plan is promising, it's destined to fail. I think Jeff Wayne was trying to bring that feeling across.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Ooo-lah!!!

Post by Scott Gardener »

I love this thing. It's absolutely brilliant. It's much better to have the CD or LP version with all of the artwork included. Given that Steampunk as a genre is making waves right now, I'm surprised this album isn't getting more play. It's kind of a cult classic.

One of the contributors is also a member of the long-lived band The Moody Blues, who put out albums in the sixties, but who have toured as recently as two years ago.

It's a lot closer to H.G. Wells' novel than so many other versions that try to update it to whenever that particular version was done. (The Orson Welles radio version that caused panics was set in the 1930s when it was broadcast; the 50s movie version and the recent Spielberg / Tom Cruise versions were set in the 50s and 2000s respectively, etc.)
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I heard it a few days ago at a friend. I thought it was pretty unique.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

My dad had that album; in fact, Eve of War was one of the first songs I'd ever heard in my life. Wasn't until I was much older that he finally let my brother and I hear the rest of it, but it's still got a special place in my heart for that reason.
PrismWolf wrote:Reccomended tracks:
Eve of War (9:06)
The Artilleryman and the Fighting Machine (10:36)
Forever Autum (7:45)
Thunder child (6:07)
Especially Thunder Child. I loved that song so much I actually wound up creating a character in The Noctem based around it (a sort of "Top Gun" pilot with Thunder Child as his callsign, both because his legal initials are the same as the sign, and because it's been arranged for him to meet a similar fate).

I watched that piss-poor Tom Cruise remake for just one reason: to see if and how this sequence was translated for the 21st century. . . Waited through all that crap just to see the aliens sink the freakin' ferry. Good god that pissed me off.

And FYI, Youtube is your friend:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkjKQmjLLxY
*jumps out of his seat and does air guitar to the. . . um. . . synthesizers* :sweatdrop: