Melding clothing with the shifter

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Re: Melding clothing with the shifter

Post by Terastas »

RedEye wrote:I've always seen the "Melding" thing as a sort of Ultimate Wedgie. :lol:
That would explain how they can go in the buff without pissing off the FCC. :grinp:
Rain
Additional Details: I am something of a Mystic... a Seeker after the Way
Mood: Happy

Post by Rain »

RedEye wrote:We may be dealing with an apples vs. oranges situation here. Let me propose two different words for what looks like the same thing:

Shifting: A physical change wherein there is a Physical change that makes the Werewolf. In this case, clothing doesn't meld or change; it is either removed pre-shift or becomes the classic tatters we see so many Werewolves wearing.

Transforming: Literally, a swap of bodies where the Werewolf (or other metamorph) literally exchanges everything; body and clothing become something else. The body doesn't change, it's tucked away someplace along with it's clothes and another body appears in its place. We usually see this in a magical setting, where a "ring" or some other item causes a
(for example) scrawny half-grown child to become a muscular adult; complete with a change of clothes to go with it.

This would appear to be melding when it is really replacement.
I've shifted only a few times physically and my clothing never was rent away in tatters from me, it disappeared when I was in Wolf form and when I shifted back to human form, my clothes were there. A little stretched and dirty but intact otherwise. I am curious to the ring reference you made. That is very interesting, I'd like to hear more if you would care to share?

A friend of mine told me something of great interest that I would share with you here. He is also a shapeshifter but instead of Wolf he changes to a Horse. A bit different, but his message I feel would suit all of us here. He was told when he was very young, in a Vision by a council of Elders, that people at this time would be born that had animal spirits as to heal the rift of humanity and nature. That this is why shapeshifters, weres, are here. It helped me when he told me, so I shared it here with all of you who are searching; perhaps it will ring your "truth bell" and resonate within.

Peace & Blessings,
Rain
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Ahh, Rain; it is policy here to treat Werewolves and the Shift as fictional until such time as "events" say otherwise. I'll leave your post, but please; no more personal shifting stories.

And the Ring I was referring to was a magic ring; the causative agent of so many transformational stories.
Another example is the Marvel hero Thor; he used to be a lame surgeon who used a cane. When he struck the cane on the ground and said the name "Thor" he became a pile of muscles and the cane became Mjollnir; Thor's hammer. He also changed clothes in the process.
That's what I was referring to.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Rain
Additional Details: I am something of a Mystic... a Seeker after the Way
Mood: Happy

Post by Rain »

RedEye wrote:Ahh, Rain; it is policy here to treat Werewolves and the Shift as fictional until such time as "events" say otherwise. I'll leave your post, but please; no more personal shifting stories.

And the Ring I was referring to was a magic ring; the causative agent of so many transformational stories.
Another example is the Marvel hero Thor; he used to be a lame surgeon who used a cane. When he struck the cane on the ground and said the name "Thor" he became a pile of muscles and the cane became Mjollnir; Thor's hammer. He also changed clothes in the process.
That's what I was referring to.
:) Duly noted, was unaware of the policy although am puzzled as to the events you're referring to. Again, I mean no disrespect and will not bring up anymore personal stories. I do love mythological stories, and love the story of Thor's Hammer. Thank you for sharing it. Is the Marvel version of Thor very different than the myths of him? Mythology is a love of mine, if I ask too many questions let me know. I am unfamiliar with the comics as I have never read them.

Peace & Blessings,
Rain
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Yes, the old Marvel version of Thor was so different from the mythos about the nordic thunder god that only a few names coincided; everything else was Stan Lee's creation.

Going back to the melding bit; that would almost be a transformation wherein bodies and clothing were exchanged for other bodies and clothing with only the characte's mind being left intact.

There is something else to consider here as well; the Shifting werewolf is a living being and the clothing isn't either one of those things. That would most likely result in either a werewolf in a pile of semi discarded clothing or a werewolf wearing tatters as said werewolf literally busted out of everything during the shift. That might leave a werewolf with his pants around his ankles...hardly a fear-provoking image; especially if he tries to take a step and falls flat on his face.
My suspicions about werewolves ( if they were real) would be that they either would remove such items before shifting, or wear a nice loose sweat shirt and pants arraingement that would adapt to their changing body.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...