Watchmen

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Khuwwa
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Re: Watchmen

Post by Khuwwa »

I'm one of the ones who loved it.

I had never read the graphic novel, only flipped through the first few pages once when I had the opportunity to do so, and I have to say I recognised that in the film right from the beginning. And afterward, I got my hands on a copy of the book and checked some stuff... my first impression was that they nailed it! The way the characters looked, the dialogue... Way better than some other superhero movies I've seen. I understood the plot and everything just fine, think they did a great job introducing it to newbs like me :)

They even got the bit on Rorschach's coat where the epaulet is unfastened on one shoulder, which to me (as a total costume nerd) seems like awesome detail! (There was one cosplayer at the theatre dressed as Rorschach, and I must say, I'm all for it. As I said before, total costume nerd.)

For anyone shocked at Dr. Manhattan's nakedness, I say grow up. Especially if you're all "eww, MALE bits!" What makes it okay for female privates to be onscreen, but not male? That's just patriarchal values to me... sexism... treating women like objects to be stared at.

I didn't even think the film was too long, and I definitely do not have the biggest attention span of anyone I know!

Oh, and I LOVED the opening scene where they showed the history of the Minutemen and costumed vigilantes. In fact, I'm off to find out what song was playing then, it sounded so nostalgic to me...
Gevaudan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Music Lover
Additional Details: Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Mood: Happy

Post by Gevaudan »

Khuwwa wrote:Oh, and I LOVED the opening scene where they showed the history of the Minutemen and costumed vigilantes. In fact, I'm off to find out what song was playing then, it sounded so nostalgic to me...
The Times They Are a-Changin', Bob Dylan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ_XwLSN45I&fmt=18

I also ran across Alan Moore's nightmare come to life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w&fmt=18
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

I didn't read the novel and aside from hating 300, and not even bothering to watch Sin City, I had no other preconceptions going into it. So here's what I thought:

Good movie. I was pleasantly surprised. Darker than my tastes usually go (but then again I like old World of Darkness, so go figure), but refreshing in a way. It's rare that you have to actually think about the characters in a superhero movie.

I loved the intro montage. That was possibly the best part of the whole movie.

I loved "Need to visit men's room."

I hated the moronic people who brought their twelve-year-old kids to the movie and then had the stones to complain about the movie being too violent, and about the nudity, etc. I wanted to scream "it's rated 'R' you dipsh***!!!" at them.
Khuwwa
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Khuwwa »

Gevaudan wrote:
Khuwwa wrote:Oh, and I LOVED the opening scene where they showed the history of the Minutemen and costumed vigilantes. In fact, I'm off to find out what song was playing then, it sounded so nostalgic to me...
The Times They Are a-Changin', Bob Dylan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ_XwLSN45I&fmt=18

I also ran across Alan Moore's nightmare come to life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w&fmt=18

To the song link: Thanx, yeah, got it. Really great song.

To the video link: O____O
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

OK, I'll admit it. I really enjoyed it. Excessive sex and nudity scenes aside. I also agree that the opening sequence was just downright awesome. But sitting in the theater with a bunch of strangers watching p0rn (or close to it!) is a little uncomfortable and awkward. There was quiet a lot of male giggling every time Dr. Manhattan showed up.

But the question is...who do you side with at the end? :evil:
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

I think I side with the Comedian
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Really? I actually had to admit that Adrian (Ozy?) had a point.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Gevaudan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Music Lover
Additional Details: Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Mood: Happy

Post by Gevaudan »

I liked how Dr. Manhattan turned over a new leaf. Very touching.
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
NightSlash
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightSlash »

I dug the movie to an extent, though it is very long, and while Patrick Wilson gave a good performance I thought, his character was just too annoying. Though he fared better than Malin Ackerman, who seemed to go through William Shatner syndrome with how she delivered her lines.

Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach was amazing, hands down one of my favorite characters in the past couple years and will probably end up being the best performance of the year. The Comedian, while not a likeable character that much, was played perfectly by Jeffrey Dean Morgan. So nice to see him in a theatrical project like this after seeing him on Supernatural.

The nudity with Dr. Manhattan didn't really bug me.

Another thing I have to give a shout-out to are the fight scenes. I praise Zack Snyder for having hand-to-hand fight scenes that had no shaky cam. Not to mention they had this great mixture of grace and savagery to them, especially the opening fight.

Overall I'd give the movie a 7/10, and Jackie Earle Haley a 10/10.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

MoonKit wrote:But the question is...who do you side with at the end? :evil:
Though I disagree with his methods, ultimately I was with Rorschach. What do you have to live for if you don't have anything worth dying for? No matter how hopeless it seems, never forsake your ideals.

I mean, theoretically if he made it where he was going at the end, the end result would have been the same, right? The whole purpose was to get the Americans and the Soviets to set aside their differences in the face of a common foe. They would have had a common foe either way; it only would have been a question of who/what exactly they were unifying against.

Ozy? He did one of the most evil things a human being can do in my opinion: he elevated himself above his fellow human beings (including his fellow heroes, who would have been dead if they hadn't payed him a visit) and appointed himself God-who-walks. The fact that he was a superhero made him the mother of all hypocrites as well; he did something he could very well have prevented from being done a hundred times before.

Even Dr. Manhattan, who really was a human being elevated to a higher level of existence, was not that egocentric. . . Though he was very much a hypocrite in his own regard. "I don't care about anything anymore. I'm leaving Earth for good. . . Right after I bust a cap on Mr. Sensitive to make sure the secret doesn't get out."

That's about as spoiler-free as I can possibly write it. :grinp:

As for the sex and nudity. . . Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the last film this guy directed revolve around three hundred Greeks fighting in their skivvies? Was it really that surprising?
Defensorem Lupus
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Being Frank
Mood: Relief

Post by Defensorem Lupus »

I loved the graphic novel and I loved this movie! There is nothing else that I can say about this greatness!
The wolf is neither man's competitor nor his enemy.
He is a fellow creature with whom the earth must be shared...
If the wolf is to survive, the wolf haters must be outnumbered.
They must be outshouted, out financed, and out voted.
Their narrow and biased attitude must be outweighed by an attitude based on an understanding of natural processes.
-Dr. L. David Mech
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I took the time to steal this movie from the internet, and I have to say while I think the movie is good I didn't think it was really great. Maybe I would have enjoyed this more if I read any of the comics. Its not bad by any means, I just felt they could have cut some parts out.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.