http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plug ... et/1390305

Really? Ohmigawd, liek, yard sales are killin' teh beeg biznuz. :roll:
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Re: Making it impossible to buy used games?

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Publishers: Legalizing blackmail since the days of Bobby Kotick.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Okay, there are a few things that need to be said about this. Both in defense of the game manufacturers, and in defense of the used game market as well:

In their defense:
  • - These aren't exactly new. Nintendo has been releasing "event" exclusives for ten years with few complaints, and I still get a reminder to register my version of Baldur's Gate even though it's a game from the 90s.
    - Those big bad registration codes are for protection against piracy, which is why they're nothing new. It's entirely on GameStop -- if they won't give you the codes, you shouldn't give them your business (and if a selling gamer won't give GameStop the codes, they shouldn't buy it either).
    - With only a couple of exceptions (like Zaeed and Kasumi from ME2), a lot of that "downloadable content" has little to no effect on the actual gameplay. You can live without them, and in some cases, you may even be better off.
    - If they are necessary, you can always use that to talk down the price.
Of course, the gaming manufacturers would do best to keep in mind that games can only be bought used if somebody else decides they don't want them anymore and sells them. If they are really so concerned about profit losses to the used gaming market, the best course of action would be to try to produce games that people won't consider selling to GameStop for chump change. The last time I went to GameStop, they had copies of Halo 3, Cursed Mountain, WWE Legends and (especially) Guitar Hero stocked up the yin-yang, but I walked out of there with the only copy of Pokemon: Platinum they had.

GameStop only makes a profit on their games when somebody decides they'd rather get a few extra bucks instead of letting what they consider to be a total P.O.S. collect dust or rot in a landfill (only game I ever sold = Final Fantasy XII, which was, make no mistake, a total P.O.S.). If they want to stop us from buying used games, their effort would be better spent convincing people that are buying their products new to keep them.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Terastas wrote:If they want to stop us from buying used games, their effort would be better spent convincing people that are buying their products new to keep them.
But that would require them to make something decent. :P
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

If you are a PC-gamer, just download the games that look interesting to you. Then, based on weither you like it or not you can either delete it from your harddrive or buy the game.

I noticed that its never the stores that whine about piracy, but always the developers which is kinda funny to me. Even Call of Duty: World at War which is a game from a few years ago already, sells in the stores over here for almost full-price. Now thats what I call promoting piracy right there.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.