The Howling: Remake

The place for anything at all...
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Stressed

The Howling: Remake

Post by Alpha »

Just curious....what are y'alls opinions on this? I agree with the poster. This is not a cool look for a fully transformed werewolf. Something in mid transformation maybe, but definitely not the end product.

http://www.morbidementia.com/horror-mov ... reborn.htm
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Re: The Howling: Remake

Post by Terastas »

Goliath from Gargoyles called: He wants his identity back. :P
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

^^^ :P
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Well they do specify that these are secondary werewolves and that the primaries have a real muzzle. I like the fur at least, but even for a minor character.......DAT FACE!
Yuck. Don't know why you would have two castes of werewolves anyway. I just hope the main ones are better.
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Alpha »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Image

^^^ :P
I'm with you man. :lol:

PariahPoet wrote:Well they do specify that these are secondary werewolves and that the primaries have a real muzzle. I like the fur at least, but even for a minor character.......DAT FACE!
Yuck. Don't know why you would have two castes of werewolves anyway. I just hope the main ones are better.

Put it this way.... If there was no caption or anything else to indicate that-that thing was supposed to be a werewolf, would you have known that it was one? I wouldn't of. To me it looks like some sorta misc. creature. A mutant elf perhaps? If the producers wanted to differentiate between the higher ranking and lower ranking werewolves, maybe they could have taken a note out of Underworld's play book. Y'know, how the 1st gen lycans had longer snouts and the 2nd gen ones had somewhat shorter ones.

To the producers: next time splurge a little, and give 'ALL' of the werewolves a freakin muzzle, would ya? Geez. :roll:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

PariahPoet wrote:Well they do specify that these are secondary werewolves and that the primaries have a real muzzle.
In other words, they've altered the werewolf motif in order to justify being cheapskates with the FX department. :P
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

The original Howling werewolves look better, and that's using effects from 1981! Yet another mashed-face thing with big ears; if this is what they look like, then the remake will have to get lumped with all the direct-to-video sequels as a monument to mediocrity. Worse yet, the Howling franchise will have lost its one chance at a reboot to get it started.

And, what's this about "secondary" werewolves? You get bit, and you're a werewolf. You shouldn't be a minion or lesser werewolf, or cured spontaneously when the one who bit you or founded the line gets killed. Even zombies don't have to put up with this crap.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Why do werewolves in modern movies always have a huge neck? Its supposed to be a werewolf, not a damn werehorse.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

I`ve heard, from other movies, that large necks and shoulders are sometimes necessary to provide space for the bells and whistles that control facial movements. Or it could just be an attempt at imposing. Possibly, somewhere along the lines someone compared human necks and canine necks and decided that the human necks didn`t look monstrous enough, and so they fiddled with the design to possibly allow for the head to be in the right place at the right angle for quadrupedal movement.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Scott Gardener wrote:Even zombies don't have to put up with this crap.
What about the South Park Halloween episode?

But yeah, it's utter crap to say the least. That whole "alpha whatever" trope only serves two purposes in entertainment: Cheap plot devices and cheap special effects, and it never works on either anymore.

And if you're going to be cheap about it like that, why not just be ultra-cheap and just make the lesser werewolves look like Geico cavemen? The movie will suck just as much, but at least nobody will watch it thinking "wow, think of all the starving children in Africa that could have been helped with the funds to make this movie." :P
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Alpha »

I don't mind if werewolves have a muscular neck or physique. To me, it can serve to make them look more badass. It's a hell of a lot better than something like this :

Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Alpha wrote:I don't mind if werewolves have a muscular neck or physique. To me, it can serve to make them look more badass. It's a hell of a lot better than something like this :

How is a huge neck 'more badass' for a werewolf? To me it just looks very ugly, and it makes the character look more like a gargoyle. Also, no wolf or human I ever met had a big neck like that, so why should a werewolf have that? It makes no sense.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Alpha »

Morkulv wrote:How is a huge neck 'more badass' for a werewolf?
Because, when it's done correctly, it can look awesome! Of course that abomination from the remake sucks, and could pass for a gargoyle. All it has is a huge neck. There's nothing else (visually) to indicate that it's supposed to be a werewolf. But if I saw it with proportional digitigrade legs, arms, hands, claws and a 'MUZZLE', then it would look alright imo.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

I think a huge neck only makes it look like the creature is on steroids. I also miss the fur.
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Alpha »

Morkulv wrote:I think a huge neck only makes it look like the creature is on steroids.
Yeah, but what's worse? That or something like that pathetic emaciated pencil-necked excuse for a lycanthrope... Remus Lupin? Speaking of whom, were these two separated at birth? :lol:

Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Alpha wrote:Speaking of whom, were these two separated at birth? :lol:
Gah! I knew it. I knew I should have said that. I was honestly going to make a joke about Lupin looking like the ring had skipped Smeagol and instead was found by Scooby Doo, but I didn't think it'd be funny so I passed up on it.

Either that, or it's what Henry Spencer's kid would look like if it were all grown up. Either way, it looks more sickly and pathetic than fearsome. Werewolves are supposed to require silver bullets to kill, but that thing looks like you could fend it off with a handbag. :P
Last edited by Terastas on Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Alpha »

Terastas wrote:I was honestly going to make a joke about Lupin
Here's one for you. What do you call it when you form a circle by touching your forefinger to your thumb?

Answer: A Remus Lupin chokehold. :lol:
silver1
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: guardian of wolves
Additional Details: When it hurts to look back,and your scared to look ahead you can look beside you and your best friend will be there.
Mood: Happy

Post by silver1 »

i am soooo not impressed,i will not be going to see this movie,since i think it will be a disgrace to the original.
If you talk to the animals,they will talk to you and you will know each other.If you do not talk to them,you will not know them and what you do not know you fear,and what one fears one destroys.

Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for a friend.

You say werewolf like its a bad thing.

http://cmrpg.net/turn.php?cid=131877&serv=1
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Although the picture is awful, one thing sticks out like mad.

The guy looks like he forgot his dentures. Seriously, he looks like he left his teeth soaking and was rushed into makeup at the last moment. :lol:

Now, they say this is a "Henchman" werewolf. To me, he looks more like a slightly senile werewolf; and whyEVER would there be two classes of Werewolf?

The original Howling wasn't very good, what with the puddles of goo etc; and it looke like this one will be no better. :roll:
Let's be glad there are no werewolves: if they saw themselves portrayed like this, they would sue so fast it wouldn't be funny.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

Well, one thing that springs to mind for why there would be two types of werewolf is as 'born' werewolves and 'bitten' werewolves, or some young/mature, normal/alpha division. That, and maybe they wanted to try something new.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Wingman wrote:Well, one thing that springs to mind for why there would be two types of werewolf is as 'born' werewolves and 'bitten' werewolves, or some young/mature, normal/alpha division. That, and maybe they wanted to try something new.
Or possibly just what was already suggested: They altered the script to cover up the fact that they were fudging in the FX department.

This movie is absolutely going to blow. I can already tell just by looking at this alone that they are not aspiring to be anything more than a cheap Friday night gory creature flick. They're not filming a remake of The Howling -- they're just borrowing the title to try and dupe more people into seeing it on opening night.
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Alpha »

Wingman wrote:and maybe they wanted to try something new.
While I applaud them for wanting to try something new, what they came up with BITES (pun intended)!!! There's nothing whatsoever about that thing that says 'werewolf'. It has to make you wonder where the designers drew their inspiration from?

I am curious though as to what the higher ranking werewolves will look like.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

10 bucks says these "werewolves" will also be doing the same annoying, uninspired and hunchbacked head bobbing they keep on doing when dressed up as every friggin' humanoid in every f*** movie imaginable.

Hey guys, I get it already, no need to make redundant movements.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Alpha wrote:
Wingman wrote:and maybe they wanted to try something new.
While I applaud them for wanting to try something new, what they came up with BITES (pun intended)!!! There's nothing whatsoever about that thing that says 'werewolf'. It has to make you wonder where the designers drew their inspiration from?

I am curious though as to what the higher ranking werewolves will look like.
The sad thing is that it doesn't even look new at all. It looks like they were in the process of ripping off another style of werewolf, then started to run out of money, slapped a human face on it and hoped nobody would notice.

And yeah, something tells me Kitesu's right. That ultra thick neck has "I can punch through concrete walls" written all over it.