Underworld: Awakening

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Stressed

Underworld: Awakening

Post by Alpha »

Holy Sh*t! Is this supposed to be a Lycan on steroids?

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810201539/video/27802994
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Re: Underworld: Awakening

Post by Figarou »

It could be gamma radiation.

To bad he is not green. :jester:
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Alpha »

It's probably better that he isn't green. Somehow the image of a werewolf wearing tattered purple pants just ruins it for me. :lol:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Alpha wrote:It's probably better that he isn't green. Somehow the image of a werewolf wearing tattered purple pants just ruins it for me. :lol:
*points to Alpha's avatar* You mean like that one?
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Alpha »

Figarou wrote:*points to Alpha's avatar* You mean like that one?

Hey....They may be purple, but they ain't tattered! C'mon man, you know that Talbain has way better fashion sense than that! 8) 8) 8)
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Alpha wrote:
Figarou wrote:*points to Alpha's avatar* You mean like that one?

Hey....They may be purple, but they ain't tattered! C'mon man, you know that Talbain has way better fashion sense than that! 8) 8) 8)
Just making sure. ;)
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Alpha »

Figarou wrote:Just making sure. ;)
A little known fact: Talbain has even been known to make Blackwell's best-dressed list on numerous occasions. :P
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Alpha »

I just went to see this movie today, and let me tell you... it's not that good. What a letdown! :roll:
werewolf-woman
Legendary
Legendary

Post by werewolf-woman »

i enjoyed the film. i really liked the other films in the franchise. Although i feel this film relied more on CGI than practical effect, which i feel was a misstep for the movie. The other films used creature effects that i totally loved. I am just happy to see a movie that depicts werewolves as monsters. this film also did something rather interesting, in most movie we see an apocalypse were human are all but destroyed but in this movie there is a monster apocalypse, where vampire and werewolves are close to extinction. I thought that concept was novel. I think that at its core Underworld is an action movie that contains vampires and werewolves and whats not to like about seeing werewolves in 3D.
Kigai Holt
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Mood: Busy

Post by Kigai Holt »

Not gonna lie, I was pretty disappointed in the movie. I enjoyed the first and the third, but this one I must say was worse that the second. :cry:
Louve_Lillith
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Moonlight Bard
Additional Details: I am published poet and author. I have a dark and quirky sense of humor and love fantasy writing.
Mood: Happy

Post by Louve_Lillith »

I really enjoyed this film, however I also had a few gripes (SPOILER ALERT & previous movies Spoiler ALERT):
1) Lycans are shown as lowly beasts w/ aggression issues in the first film (with the exception of Lucian).
2) Movie two repeats this concept but introduces the possibility of a higher intellect among the wolf kind.
3)Movie 3 (the prequel) gives us a new perspective on the Lycans (even those exactly like William) as equals to the vampires. One that preaches the only "true form" should be a hybrid like Michael to ensure the survival of all.
4) In this movie the Lycans are the ultimate monsters and I felt this was a big let down. I love the Selene/Eve story line and the fact that Michael is alive. I like Selene's ability to heal others through her connection to Alexander Corvinus but in the end the Lycans are little more than Nazi-like, Mengele wannabes that showed little resemblance to phenomenal creatures we see in Rise of the Lycans, and fail to convey the more testosterone (or steroid laden) heavy beasties of Movie 1. I just wish they had moved the story line along to have it be Werewolves and Vampires together against the Human enemy. Sadly they went the route of excessively humanist perspective and Weres became the monsters while Selene leads the Hybrids to a victory against the combined enemy.

Okies, rant over. *Sits down to gnaw on chew toys in frustration* :wink: :evil: :wink: hwlwnk
Through forests deep and Winter's cold my soul follows the eternal song...Leading me home!
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Alpha »

Of all of the Underworld films, this one is my least favorite. It just didn't do it for me. I also didn't like the fact that the majority of the rank and file Lycans have been reduced to being nothing more than giant mangy sewer rats. Maybe I should've payed closer attention, but could someone please explain to me why Quint was so gigantic in his Lycan form? Also, Selene was wrong when she stated that her daughter was the first hybrid child. Sonja and Lucian's unborn baby was.
Kigai Holt
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Kigai Holt »

Alpha wrote:Of all of the Underworld films, this one is my least favorite. It just didn't do it for me. I also didn't like the fact that the majority of the rank and file Lycans have been reduced to being nothing more than giant mangy sewer rats. Maybe I should've payed closer attention, but could someone please explain to me why Quint was so gigantic in his Lycan form? Also, Selene was wrong when she stated that her daughter was the first hybrid child. Sonja and Lucian's unborn baby was.

Science. The lycans were developing a treatment that would improve/empower their lycanthropy, some side effects included no longer being affected by silver, plus the gratuitous size increase.

Don't worry, this fact didn't improve the movie much (or at all IMO)
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

Alpha wrote:Of all of the Underworld films, this one is my least favorite. It just didn't do it for me. I also didn't like the fact that the majority of the rank and file Lycans have been reduced to being nothing more than giant mangy sewer rats. Maybe I should've payed closer attention, but could someone please explain to me why Quint was so gigantic in his Lycan form? Also, Selene was wrong when she stated that her daughter was the first hybrid child. Sonja and Lucian's unborn baby was.
Selene and Michael was the first hybrid child... Sonja and Lucian's child was never born, and quite possibly just barely conceived, as Sonja showed no signs of being pregnant. Had the child actually been born, it would have been the first.
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Alpha »

Kigai Holt wrote:Science. The lycans were developing a treatment that would improve/empower their lycanthropy, some side effects included no longer being affected by silver, plus the gratuitous size increase. Don't worry, this fact didn't improve the movie much (or at all IMO)
Translation: A gimmick to get moviegoers all hyped up while watching the trailer. Oh, okay! Now I understand. :wink:
alphanubilus wrote:Selene and Michael was the first hybrid child... Sonja and Lucian's child was never born, and quite possibly just barely conceived, as Sonja showed no signs of being pregnant. Had the child actually been born, it would have been the first.
When I said first, I meant first in existence.

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think the storyline of the 5th installment is gonna be like ?
Kigai Holt
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Kigai Holt »

Alpha wrote:Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think the storyline of the 5th installment is gonna be like ?

Not gonna lie, I've lost hope for the series. If the next director is smart, they'll jump back on track and (hopefully) bring in some sort of war with the humans.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Alpha wrote:I just went to see this movie today, and let me tell you... it's not that good. What a letdown! :roll:
I still plan on seeing it on Blu-ray.

Sure, I can save time and money by taking your advice and not watch it. But there is something that MAKES me want to watch it. And that's "curiosity."

"Curiosity" can be from many aspects. You may look at the trailer and say.. "I'm NOT going to watch it!" But after seeing its #1 at the box office, or seeing that it made lots of money, OR if its being talked about all over the internet, you may change your mind and go see it.

Anthony Brownrigg said in another post that he was NOT going to watch Twilight. Now "Curiosity" is making him do it. Heck, "Curiosity" made me watch My Little Pony : Friendship is Magic. I wanted to find out what is making full grown men like this show.

I sometimes wonder if Hollywood uses "Curiosity" to draw people into watching a movie.
Fullmoonstar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ...for science

Post by Fullmoonstar »

Figarou wrote:
Alpha wrote:I just went to see this movie today, and let me tell you... it's not that good. What a letdown! :roll:
I still plan on seeing it on Blu-ray.

Sure, I can save time and money by taking your advice and not watch it. But there is something that MAKES me want to watch it. And that's "curiosity."

"Curiosity" can be from many aspects. You may look at the trailer and say.. "I'm NOT going to watch it!" But after seeing its #1 at the box office, or seeing that it made lots of money, OR if its being talked about all over the internet, you may change your mind and go see it.

Anthony Brownrigg said in another post that he was NOT going to watch Twilight. Now "Curiosity" is making him do it. Heck, "Curiosity" made me watch My Little Pony : Friendship is Magic. I wanted to find out what is making full grown men like this show.

I sometimes wonder if Hollywood uses "Curiosity" to draw people into watching a movie.
I totally totally agree with this and double it. As I have said on the other topic already curiosity can be a very great power which moves you to do things, you thought you will never do. I will check this movie out now too....because you have talked about it and because it got my curiosity. There are two different opinions here and so I want to make my own of it :lol: Brains are strange right? They are fooling us all the time :wiggle:
never stop dreaming. Otherwise your dreams will never come true.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Fullmoonstar wrote:
I totally totally agree with this and double it. As I have said on the other topic already curiosity can be a very great power which moves you to do things, you thought you will never do. I will check this movie out now too....because you have talked about it and because it got my curiosity. There are two different opinions here and so I want to make my own of it :lol: Brains are strange right? They are fooling us all the time :wiggle:

Yup. Some like. Some hate. Plus there is an oversized werewolf in it!! :o THAT got my curiosity. LOL!!
Fullmoonstar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ...for science

Post by Fullmoonstar »

Figarou wrote: Yup. Some like. Some hate. Plus there is an oversized werewolf in it!! :o THAT got my curiosity. LOL!!
Yeah, that's it. And the fact, that you should only dislike or like something, if you really know what it exactly is :D
never stop dreaming. Otherwise your dreams will never come true.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Holy Cow I am late for this topic! :o Well I might as well put my in my input of the movie.
WARNING SPOILER!

I personally liked it, but it was short and I didn't felt as satisfied by it as Id like to. But it was good overall as they went for a more action approach than the previous movies. I liked it a little better than the second underworld movie but wasn't as good as 1 and 3. I really liked the plot twist on how the tables have turned for the lycans, the vampires were the ones who use to be in their shoes in the first film. The uber lycan looks so awesome and I personally put it right up there with Van Helsing werewolf and the original look of the first underworld film lycans, I hope to see another uber lycan again in the series.

Also Alpha, the majority of the lycans aren't mangy sewer rats, that was just in one scene. The vampires and humans were led to believe that lycans were nearly extinct and were only surviving on scraps underground, but the truth is that there is even more of them around than anyone has imagined and they are more powerful than before. I don't know if that antigen facility was the only lycan occupied building around, I doubt it because in one scene it showed a bunch scientists in one room who you never see again as werewolves , so this shows that lycans has successfully infiltrated among the ranks of the humans. Something that vampires couldn't do again since the purge. I will also have to agree with some here how the lycans are depicted as bad guys yet again just like the 2nd film, I was hoping that they will join forces with the vampires and fight the humans, it would only make since. :(

I am also disappointed that they made the live action props take a step back just as werewolf-woman said. I really enjoyed that in the all the other movies. At least the CG is well done. I still yearned for the another Underworld movie like the first one.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Alpha »

Figarou wrote:Sure, I can save time and money by taking your advice and not watch it. But there is something that MAKES me want to watch it. And that's "curiosity."

Just so long as you don't let it get the best of you. After all, look at how curiosity worked out for the cat. :lol:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Alpha wrote:
Figarou wrote:Sure, I can save time and money by taking your advice and not watch it. But there is something that MAKES me want to watch it. And that's "curiosity."

Just so long as you don't let it get the best of you. After all, look at how curiosity worked out for the cat. :lol:
Yes, but who always gets your tounge?

:jester:
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Alpha »

Figarou wrote:Yes, but who always gets your tounge? :jester:
My girlfriend. But that's a whole other story altogether. :lol:
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I still haven't seen number 3, though it's been sitting on my hard drives a few days, waiting for my next day off.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...