G'day

Welcome to "The Pack" forum! Come tell us about yourself!!
keweymarsupial
Pack Member
Pack Member

G'day

Post by keweymarsupial »

Evening all. I go by the name Kewey. Long time werewolf story fan from Australia, looking forward to Freeborn because it's one of the most intriguing and well-considered treatments of werewolves i've ever heard of in a movie script. I suspect i have everyone here to thank for that. Many thanks, you lot.

My other interests are music, writing, creating fictional languages (about the only use for my linguistics degree i have come up with) and also playing around with whatever new feature's been added to Blender this week. I'm currently in the middle of production on an indie game doing sound/writing/elfspeak but there's no shapeshifting anything in it so it shall be mentioned no further. Making games is hard.

Speaking of games with shapeshifting, i have played too many hours of Skyrim for my own good and my wood elf character is still a werewolf despite this knackering his levelling speed. Tearing through forests at high velocity and doing power-howls at bears who get too bold is just too much fun, and when the guards quizzically remark on fur growing out of my character's ears or disturbing wolfish grins it makes me smile. :) I'm surprised it hasn't got more attention on this board, though that could be because people are too busy playing it.

If i had to pick a favourite werewolf movie it would probably be Howling 3: The Marsupials. Yeah, the original Howling had the coolest-looking werewolf and AWIL had the coolest transformation scene, and UK Being Human's George is still my favourite screen werewolf, but in my heart i like stuff that's properly off-kilter and odd-funny even better. (And before anyone pipes up and says it was about werethylacines, the Russians were both werewolves.) Didn't like that recent one with Benicio del Toro too much, transformation effects were OK but it still looked a bit weightless and artificial like a lot of CG does. The gore was fun.

That's about it. No clue where the other Australians are on this board if there are any but hello to you all, regardless of nationality. Seeyas. :)
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!
Mood: Excited

Re: G'day

Post by Trinity »

'ello Aussie! ;) Welcome!

:welcome: :wolfpaint: :read2:
:wolfpaint:
LinkedIn - Dev Art - Behance - Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She-wolf who stalked the forums when all else sane, slept.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Welcome!

The third Howling movie surprised me. i expected it to be bad and cheesy, and it seemed to start out that way. But, I was amazed at how much they put into supporting the werewolf point of view and having werewolf characters that were not plain monsters out to murder people for no particular reason. It broke from the rest of the franchise's fixation on "devil" references and in many ways was ahead of its time. It might not have hawd much of an effects budget, but otherwise, I was not ready for it to be that good.

I guess you must also like having a story set closer to home, when everything else out is set on the other side of the planet.

Thanks for interest inFreeborn, and welcome to The Pack! To make it official, here's the duckie toss...

:badminton2:
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
keweymarsupial
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by keweymarsupial »

Scott Gardener wrote:The third Howling movie surprised me. i expected it to be bad and cheesy, and it seemed to start out that way. But, I was amazed at how much they put into supporting the werewolf point of view and having werewolf characters that were not plain monsters out to murder people for no particular reason. It broke from the rest of the franchise's fixation on "devil" references and in many ways was ahead of its time. It might not have hawd much of an effects budget, but otherwise, I was not ready for it to be that good.
It's a goof-fest for sure, and if you believe the director it's a satire.

I liked the idea of tribal werewolves who were on the edge of their own existence and fighting for their survival. With the extermination of indigenous people and culture woven thick through Australia's colonial history, there was kind of a pertinent metaphor at work - in H3, lycanthropy didn't appear to be contagious.

Also the Aboriginal characters in that movie got some of the funniest lines. ("I'm just gonna die!")
Scott Gardener wrote:I guess you must also like having a story set closer to home, when everything else out is set on the other side of the planet.
That helped. The next time an Aussie had any input into a Howling movie it was for number 5 and that was also not bad. :)