Another view of a werewolf: Mesoamerican werewolf myths

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
lobocursor
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Another view of a werewolf: Mesoamerican werewolf myths

Post by lobocursor »

No export for you.
Last edited by lobocursor on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!
Mood: Excited

Re: Another view of a werewolf: Mesoamerican werewolf myths

Post by Trinity »

Shammanism:

World wide the idea that people have a natural spirit link to the earth is a powerful one. Often those who follow such practices have animal spirit guides to guide them through the spirit worlds. Each culture and such are a little bit different but the root idea is the same.

Aboriginal Peoples:
The idea of shape shifting goes beyond just an animal into a human or vice versus. For them shapeshifitng is spiritual and happens on even the most basic levels (ex. older elders being able to dance during a ritual without harm, when they normally can barely walk without help or difficulty). But much of their world was shaped by their Totemic Ancestor spirits during the Dreamtime (which is both ancient past and present).

However, there are certain rules and tribal laws that protect many of the stories, like a form of "intellectual property ownership".

Native Americans:
This is a touchy subject because many of the stories have been mis-represented due to mis-interpretation or such. Many Native Americans are very sensitive to some of these stories being told, mostly due to how poorly they were treated in the past (and in some cases how poorly they are still treated). So I won't add to that offense, as I am not of Native Stock from any tribe *(as far as i know).

What I do know is that there are both good and bad spirits/people who can shape shift. The theme is very common with the various Native American Tribes.

Nordic Myths:
I'm not 100% of the source, as it comes from a time when the Vikings raided... a lot. Norse Tribes were a mobile lot, and no one group had the same stories. Most of this is due to the idea that some of their belief systems come from a form of Ancestor Worship. However one story relates to using skins of animals in a ceremonial way in order to enhance a human's own abilities, skills, or physical prowess with the spirit of said animal.

The term Berserk comes from the term berserkr, or those who "wear the bear shirt". The individual was a berserkr, and seemed impossible to kill, with massively powerful strength, that killed in a frenzied rage anything in their path.
:wolfpaint:
LinkedIn - Dev Art - Behance - Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She-wolf who stalked the forums when all else sane, slept.
Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Another view of a werewolf: Mesoamerican werewolf myths

Post by Kelpten »

I believe this post belongs in the Legends and Lore section.