Showing the werewolf's softer side.

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Yakarin
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Lady

Re: Showing the werewolf's softer side.

Post by Yakarin »

Moonstalker wrote:
I'm not sure is this been in conversation but I'll say it anyway.

I watched Van Helsing again 'cause I got it as a Christmas present. In the end of it I noticed how well emotions of the werewolf were made. Werewolf wasn't beast anymore, it looked so emotional. Anyway I wasn't impressed 'cause of the werewolves in the movie. But for Christ sake, at least put a tail for it in Freeborn :cry:

I think it would be nice to see these things in Freeborn. Werewolf showing it's soft side is something I would like to see. Exactly something that makes people think "AAAAAWWWWW!" :D
But not anything too sad though.
Werewolf could hug the mate or friend in gestalt, friend could be human or gestalt too. I would like to see gestalt hugging another human or something, it wakes so warm feelings
Usually you don't see this in those S#@^ Hollywood werewolf horror films but it would be nice to get soft emotions in Freeborn. That is interesting in werewolves: they might look dangerous and bloodthirsted predators but also they got soft emotions. Little bit like humans :wink:
Agreed agreed lck
Auuuuoooouuuooouuuuu!
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

What should a Werewolf be?

Post by RedEye »

Largely, one suspects that the Werewolf would be pretty much like the Human base it arose from. Probably, most Were's would have a reflexive "I'm not gonna be like that Jerk in that awful Movie"...so Were's would be shaped positively-for the most part-by the Movies made about them. There would be the ones that decded to "BE" the big bad Movie Werewolf...but then there are People like that.
Probably, there would be a number of Were's that would try to upgrade the Smooth Population's view of them...Wolves are Social Creatures...
I can see the occasional "Kindness" being done, with the "Hero" being careful to be Seen , but only Just seen, and not too closely.
Good deeds keep people from going looking for you with torches, etc.
This isn't the Middle Ages.
They'd be separate by choice. Apart from the Smooth masses, close only with other Were's. There might be the occasional trusted SmoothHuman, but for the most part they would stay legendary.
Wolves are Pragmatic to a degree that Humans aren't, and can never be...that would keep Were's and Smooths apart, if nothing else.
Were's would be the shadow that didn't frighten. The Howl that didn't bring fear.
Would they make common-cause with humans in some huge catastrophy? Possibly...but they'd more likely give warning just before getting out before the catastrophy happened. Getting out is smart, and Were's are smart in those ways.
IF...they made common-cause, it would likely be on condition of silence from the SmoothHumans about their aid...or crossing over to become Were's themselves.
Eventually, they'd have to become part of the Rest of Us...simply because of the eroding capacity for privacy that is going on even now.
And...they'd stage that for their benefit, as well. They aren't stupid.
That's my thought...... :wink:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

This is a fine example of a werewolf showing his softer side.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/37798419/

:D
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

Figarou wrote:This is a fine example of a werewolf showing his softer side.

Hmmm, not bad :)
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

*nods* What I like about it is that the werewolf still looks somewhat scary; his face is more stern as opposed to soft and comforting.

One major issue Freeborn is going to be faced with is that, regardless of what's said about the movie beforehand, a good chunk of the crowd will go expecting to see a typical werewolf movie. We can't just five minutes into the plot expect them to accept werewolves as being sweet and emotional.

The best way, I think, would be to ease the audience from the savage image to the one we're talking about as the plot develops. Start off with the werewolf demonstrating something he could still be scary doing, like in this case of this piece of art. Once the audience accepts "werewolves = evil: false," then you could work in the human element, which in this case would involve the major plot, as well as many of our "watching TV" scenarios. Finally towards the end of the movie, if the audience is still thinking of them as werewolves instead of Jack, Donna, Seth, etc., they never will, so that would be a good time to provide any and all of the really tender moments.

I also agree with RedEye. I think every werewolf pack would come across two major conflicts within their numbers.

1) Accepting the stereotype vs. denying the stereotype.
2) Acceptance vs. anonymity.

In both cases, I think the latter would be the dominant perspective. Savage werewolves and heroic werewolves both run the same risk: exposing the pack to the paranoid, xenophobic fanatically religious majority; one idiot in the pack could trigger a witch hunt that would kill them all.

That said, none of us would ever be candidates for initiation into the pack. We're already talking too much about them. :grinp:
RedEye

ORLY?

Post by RedEye »

Or, perhaps by yammering all over the place about them, we become "Just part of the noise" and thus invisible.
After all, who'd suspect, say: Figarou of having a fuzzy-toothy side? He's much too obvious, which is the best camouflage of all......
:lol:
darkest wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Begin the day with a friendly voice- a companion unobtrusive, plays that song that's so elusive and the magic music makes your morning mood..."- The Spirit of Radio- Rush
Additional Details: l------------l
l------------l
l------5--3--l
l-3----5--3--l
l-3----3--1--l
l-1----------l
Mood: Excited

Post by darkest wolf »

Terastas wrote:

*nods* What I like about it is that the werewolf still looks somewhat scary; his face is more stern as opposed to soft and comforting.

One major issue Freeborn is going to be faced with is that, regardless of what's said about the movie beforehand, a good chunk of the crowd will go expecting to see a typical werewolf movie. We can't just five minutes into the plot expect them to accept werewolves as being sweet and emotional.

The best way, I think, would be to ease the audience from the savage image to the one we're talking about as the plot develops. Start off with the werewolf demonstrating something he could still be scary doing, like in this case of this piece of art. Once the audience accepts "werewolves = evil: false," then you could work in the human element, which in this case would involve the major plot, as well as many of our "watching TV" scenarios. Finally towards the end of the movie, if the audience is still thinking of them as werewolves instead of Jack, Donna, Seth, etc., they never will, so that would be a good time to provide any and all of the really tender moments.

I also agree with RedEye. I think every werewolf pack would come across two major conflicts within their numbers.

In both cases, I think the latter would be the dominant perspective. Savage werewolves and heroic werewolves both run the same risk: exposing the pack to the paranoid, xenophobic fanatically religious majority; one idiot in the pack could trigger a witch hunt that would kill them all.

That said, none of us would ever be candidates for initiation into the pack. We're already talking too much about them. :grinp:
Wow, those are good points. We need an emoticon with glasses... :howl:  :oo

-Photo and avatar by takyoji

"He who dares wins."- Winston Churchill
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

darkest wolf wrote:We need an emoticon with glasses...
:nerdwolf: :read2:
darkest wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Begin the day with a friendly voice- a companion unobtrusive, plays that song that's so elusive and the magic music makes your morning mood..."- The Spirit of Radio- Rush
Additional Details: l------------l
l------------l
l------5--3--l
l-3----5--3--l
l-3----3--1--l
l-1----------l
Mood: Excited

Post by darkest wolf »

Looks like I missed one... :bombzom:

-Photo and avatar by takyoji

"He who dares wins."- Winston Churchill
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

probably a were and its mate....tenderly licking each others muzzles :)
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

[/quote]

That said, none of us would ever be candidates for initiation into the pack. We're already talking too much about them. :grinp:[/quote]

That's the point: werewolves are trying to survive middle of humans. Humans are natural idiots, they are afraid of everything they don't know and that fear makes them hostile, savage and cruel. This time the werewolves are the good guys and humans... well, more and less friendly. I think the motive for killing the weres could be: some over-religious guys are chasing the creatures 'cause they think that they are doing the right thing. I don't like this idea so much though :P
Anyway, as someone already said: we can't just show five minutes of werewolves softer side and after that everything else :|
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Moonstalker wrote:That's the point: werewolves are trying to survive middle of humans. Humans are natural idiots, they are afraid of everything they don't know and that fear makes them hostile, savage and cruel. This time the werewolves are the good guys and humans... well, more and less friendly. I think the motive for killing the weres could be: some over-religious guys are chasing the creatures 'cause they think that they are doing the right thing. I don't like this idea so much though :P
Anyway, as someone already said: we can't just show five minutes of werewolves softer side and after that everything else :|
I think it's more like Agent K said in Men in Black: "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." Or more classically, humans have two ears and one mouth so they can only repeat half of what they hear.

One or two humans in direct contact with the pack could be trusted, but those one or two would have to be very good at keeping secrets. For one reason or another, most people are incredibly bad at that.
RedEye wrote:Or, perhaps by yammering all over the place about them, we become "Just part of the noise" and thus invisible.
After all, who'd suspect, say: Figarou of having a fuzzy-toothy side? He's much too obvious, which is the best camouflage of all......
Good point. There are certainly enough werewolf fans and p-shifters out there that a veteran werewolf hunter might habitually dismiss us. There's just two things that come to mind.

1) Regardless of how unreliable werewolf net forums may be, they can still suffice for the occasional "monster sighting" thread. Also, assuming a werewolf hunter worth his salt knows the truth about werewolves, he could theoretically sort out the real deals from the p-shifters and the short story writers based on how accurate they are in comparison to the real thing.

2) Smart werewolf hunters might not look at a message board, but rookies would.

That said, the only way I see a werewolf pack permitting their members to talk about werewolves online would be if they were accustomed to dealing with "comic book werewolf fans that you can shake off with simple parlor tricks" :wink: and only as long as the werewolves on the forum promised to state the wrong idea every now and then.
RedEye

The Werewolf's softer side

Post by RedEye »

Having been serious, I will now be silly (sort of).
Show the Werewolf's softer side? How about BELLY RUBS AND ONE KICKING LEG! Along with a sappy smile and half-closed eyes. :lol:
Makes the Were' a lot less frightening, don't it? :wink:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Re: The Werewolf's softer side

Post by Terastas »

RedEye wrote:Having been serious, I will now be silly (sort of).
Show the Werewolf's softer side? How about BELLY RUBS AND ONE KICKING LEG! Along with a sappy smile and half-closed eyes. :lol:
That has been suggested so many times in this thread. :P

Most werewolves would probably shy away from stereotypical canine behavior and may consider being petted condescending and/or demeaning. Still, I could picture one werewolf doing it to another jokingly. And if the werewolf being petted smiled and kicked his leg, that would probably be a joke too.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Terastas wrote:

Most werewolves would probably shy away from stereotypical canine behavior and may consider being petted condescending and/or demeaning. Still, I could picture one werewolf doing it to another jokingly. And if the werewolf being petted smiled and kicked his leg, that would probably be a joke too.
Nah, it wouldnt be demeaning...it would feel awesome! :lol:
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote:

heh....belly rubs. I mentioned it a bunch of times.

(sure could use one.) :grinp:
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Here you go, Fig!
(Rubs Figarou's belly with a two week old Christmas tree, complete with ornaments and lights.) :lol: :P :lol:
deruty
Legendary
Legendary

Post by deruty »

ouch.....

I think an ideal way to show a werewolf with emotion is to have it pause during an attack. General recognition or familiarity with something and the confused look, Would definitely be a step toward something other than a werewolf covered in blood...that is unless he/she/it was already covered in blood....
My real online handle is Derutydragon
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

deruty wrote:ouch.....

I think an ideal way to show a werewolf with emotion is to have it pause during an attack. General recognition or familiarity with something and the confused look,
Then snarling something like "I thought you had homework tonight!" as he slinks off.
:lol:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

RedEye wrote:Here you go, Fig!
(Rubs Figarou's belly with a two week old Christmas tree, complete with ornaments and lights.) :lol: :P :lol:

ouch...that hurt. :cry:

(I need a soft belly rub from a female.) :grinp:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

deruty wrote:ouch.....

I think an ideal way to show a werewolf with emotion is to have it pause during an attack. General recognition or familiarity with something and the confused look, Would definitely be a step toward something other than a werewolf covered in blood...that is unless he/she/it was already covered in blood....
If you go by what I said about easing the audience into it, a werewolf covered in blood could be a good early moment. There aren't many people out there that enjoy the sight of blood in real life, and even fewer that would enjoy having the blood of something else on them. A werewolf could be shown cringing at the sight of blood, or after a particularly bloody encounter, immediately seek out a lake, river, swimming pool -- whatever they could clean themselves off in.
RedEye

Blood

Post by RedEye »

Or...even a Werewolf that fainted at the sight of blood? or got physically sick at blood spill?
If the Human side carried on, even though now Fuzzy and Toothy, any Human reaction to blood would transfer over.
There's a lot of exploration there, since the movies seem to be focussed on the the Blood-loving side of the Were', there are so-o-o many other reactions possible!
including a loud "OY VEY!!!"
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Post by Volkodlak »

im talking for half wolf form

if the person you are trying too show your softer side is your boyfriend/girlfriend/friend you can always tackle them and lick them too dead but im not ressponsible if they die :lol:

if its unknown person lets say child close your mouths because showing your teeths can frighten them more and aproach them slowly if they move backward stop and wait and i wouldnt try too speak(if i could) because it can go both ways personaly i would wait for them too come too me then i would lower myself to their level and allow them too touch me ant a little advice NO FAST MOVEMENT
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

Apparently this topic still lives so why not to contribute it some more?

I've always viewed werewolves as something with two appearances. Wolves can be scary but they are also cute and adorable. Mixing these two should bring more perspective to it of what weres are as beings.
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

I agree. If you look at a dog (which is basically just a domesticated wolf) they can be extremely expressive across a whole range of emotions. A dog that is snarling and aggressive can also turn right around and give that sad/soulful look that practically makes you reach down and give a good scratch behind the ears and go "awwww..."