Werewolf Suit Makers

The place for anything at all...
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

plus the long hiar makes the werewolf looks like cousin it from the adams family. :D
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Shadow Wulf wrote:
outwarddoodles wrote:Grammar is spelled with an A. Yet you still like grammar Lupin, right? Huh? HUH?

No, English teachers are a spawn of evilness.
I got it!! Grammar teacher!! :D
No, but I'm imagining a scene...

*After a great movie the pack's members were great friends, yet somehow drifted apart. Many years later Anthony soon went on making FreeBorn 2 and invited some of his favorite people over to come help or see it.*

Shadow Wulf: Hey Outwarddoodles!

Outwarddoodles: Oh hey! How are you doing?

Shadow Wulf: Oh, I've been living off my artwork, but been making alot of money. Speaking of that, what do you do?

Outwarddoodles: Oh, well, erm... I teach grammar.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

We need to get back on topic. I'm such a hypocrite, I've really been in derailing this thing.

I know its not the best, but I sorta like this one:
http://shop.joke.co.uk/isroot/jokecouk/ ... /3082.html
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

outwarddoodles wrote:We need to get back on topic. I'm such a hypocrite, I've really been in derailing this thing.

The shirt is the best part, I like that one.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

http://www.sillyjokes.co.uk/dress-up/fa ... ewolf.html - This better be a joke as the site seems to say.

http://www.costumeshopper.com/prods/fm58575.html - Ewwww

http://www.thehorrordome.com/HDSHOPPING ... fLARGE.htm - I tink this ones pretty cool.

The thing is that most werewolf costumes you may be out to buy seem to suck, while personaly made costumes I've seen have been very great looking.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

outwarddoodles wrote:http://www.sillyjokes.co.uk/dress-up/fa ... ewolf.html - This better be a joke as the site seems to say.
I hope so. That one looks more like a bear than a wolf.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

outwarddoodles wrote:We need to get back on topic. I'm such a hypocrite, I've really been in derailing this thing.

that one is not bad.
WereDog
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Hell-hound From outer regions of pluto

Post by WereDog »

outwarddoodles wrote:http://www.sillyjokes.co.uk/dress-up/fa ... ewolf.html - This better be a joke as the site seems to say.

http://www.costumeshopper.com/prods/fm58575.html - Ewwww
hahaahahahaahahaahahahahahahaahaahahaa :lol:
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

The Perfect Fursuit

Post by Scott Gardener »

OK, getting back to topic... (This sounds familiar. OK, every Metallica fan, join in. Back to the topic! You will do! What I say! When I say! Back to the topic!)

I suspect I speak for a lot of us. I, too, have daydreamed about the Perfect Werewolf suit. This dream attire throws budget to the wind, and doesn't worry about what is or isn't already on the market. (And, it's assumed to be the next best thing; it's kind of a given that the real thing would beat the outfit.)

I'd like to see a material that is as light and form-fitting as lycra or spandex, but with a layer of fur on top. That way, it could stretch and conform to body shape, keep flexibility, but still provide the much-needed fur.

The fur should look realistic--that is, having the smooth and silky texture of the real thing, rather than the course, scraggly look a lot of faux fur has. (The werewolf in Cursed, and for that matter a lot of movies, looked fake because it had the same texture as faux fur, which is decidedly different from the genuine article.) even better, it would be nice to see it match the multicolored gradient of real fur--light tips and dark bases, correct distribution colors and layering, etc. Latex with fur on top could look even better, but unless you're the vampire chick in Underworld, it would get uncomfortably hot very quickly.

The two-legged vs. four-legged debate is almost unavoidable, as efforts to design one form that does both tends to break down when you try to design something that looks elegant and real but have to put an actual human body inside. I'm opting for a two-legged Gestalt stance.

A one piece outfit with a zipper that hides under the fur, or has an as yet to be invented fastening method that is less visible would be the ideal. Contacts would have to be done seperately, but everything else could be integrated.

One part where I trip up is the muzzle. I'm torn between getting a good, wolf-like look versus startling overlap of function.

In one design option, I go with a complex jaw overlap construct to create a realistic muzzle. The tradeoff is that as long as one is wearing it, it's hard to eat, and talking would be about as difficult as it would be for a real werewolf. But, darn would it look real; you'd get an articulated muzzle, with palatte ridges, teeth, and a tongue that can move somewhat--it would blow out of the water the conventional perpetual snarl or jaws hanging open.

The other goes a step further; by integrating something resembling a dental retainer and teeth caps, and trading in muzzle length, one could talk, eat, and the like in an outfit that would look startlingly real. (This approach would do quite well with a feline outfit, where muzzle length isn't as important.)

Foot extensions would create a digitigrade stance, and incorporated gloves would include hard partial guards to help strengthen the claws, though they wouldn't cover the fingertips, so one's sense of touch wouldn't be too heavily compromised. A roughened latex could form the fingertip pads.

How would one put the thing on? feet first, legs like stockings, then face into upper mask, and then arms, and then zip up (or otherwise close) the back.

I know that some fursuiters have in mind certain other design elements for certain things. I won't go there.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

I have dreams apon my own costume too.

I'd probaly choose between the well loved werewolf. or a cat of my choice, maybe even a hyena. No, no llamas. I don't want to be a llama for a day, and I couldn't make the neck long, or it would be a great hassle to carry a tower apon my head. I'd love ot make a great, realistic fursuit that I'd show off to the admiration to others.
Maybe something like this beauty: http://www.cloudchasershaconage.furtopia.org/ac0221.jpg

When testing with a first fursuit, I may end up with a more cartoony look. Yet I'd like to shoot for a realistic one. If I were to go easeir I can use Plastic Mesh and foam. Yet for a more reaslitic one maybe I could use fiber glass. Theres a number of posibilities. Yet as said, I may want to try an easeir one first and then later make a much better head. What I'd really love though would be an articulated jaw.

If anyone wants fursuit information a great site is www.fursuit.org, go check out the FAQ, its loaded with information!

Speaking of Llamas and customes. At the Ohio State fair they have A Llama Drill Team, a Llama Costume Contest and llama obstacle course. Even more reasons Ohio rules! (Ohio state fair is great anyways.)
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Woah, I was looking for a good example of the great costumes made for llamas that go in llama costume contests when I found this;
http://www.facemakersincorporated.com/llamas.html
(REally expensive though!)
:o :D
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

outwarddoodles wrote:Woah, I was looking for a good example of the great costumes made for llamas that go in llama costume contests when I found this;

I wonder why its expensive to make a suit like that. I know it gets even more expensive when its made for hollywood.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

outwarddoodles wrote:Woah, I was looking for a good example of the great costumes made for llamas that go in llama costume contests when I found this;
hey outwarddoodle, werent you in that disney movie...how does it goes? the kings new groove, oh i forgot. :D
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
WereDog
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Hell-hound From outer regions of pluto

Post by WereDog »

the emperors new groove by dreamworks?
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

WereDog wrote:the emperors new groove by dreamworks?
thats it!! :D emperors new groove, sorry I havent seen that movie in over a year.
Image Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

WereDog wrote:the emperors new groove by dreamworks?
Disney. Not Dreamworks
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Didn't have the weird little blonde dude from just shoot me in it? :?
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Fenrir wrote:Didn't have the weird little blonde dude from just shoot me in it? :?
you mean the one from joe dirt, and that say no commercial... yeah, hes in it.
Image Image
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Shadow Wulf wrote:
Fenrir wrote:Didn't have the weird little blonde dude from just shoot me in it? :?
you mean the one from joe dirt, and that say no commercial... yeah, hes in it.
Yeah, that's David Spade.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

That's him! :)
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Nitruswolf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Of Wolf Kin

Post by Nitruswolf »

Arania wrote:I'm actually REALLY happy with the costume that ShadowSaber made for me last year - imho it looks more like a real wolf and less monsterous (I don't like the furless face look, etc)

http://arania.kamiki.net/Arania/arania7.jpg - Another pic.
O.o thats sexeah.. :panting: LOL
I love that suit!
Human science denies posibility if it does not understand we're real, yet natural science only proves what is posible and is open to posibility!
Natural science has proven our existance, human science has failed to prove either way thus we do not exist!
Redstorm
Legendary
Legendary

Re: The Perfect Fursuit

Post by Redstorm »

I personally think Running Wolf don't charge enough for their costumes.

They use a fur which is specifically woven for the product. You have to buy it by the roll (unless you find something to suit on clearance) and the average cost is $40 a sq/ft.
This runs the basic materials cost up to $1,000s, before you take into account the time it takes to make the thing. I really don't think that they make much money on a full suit.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd like to see a material that is as light and form-fitting as lycra or spandex, but with a layer of fur on top. That way, it could stretch and conform to body shape, keep flexibility, but still provide the much-needed fur.
The fur should look realistic--that is, having the smooth and silky texture of the real thing, rather than the course, scraggly look a lot of faux fur has.
This type of fur fills a lot of those needs, but is missing one vital priority. It is light, form fitting, it has a 4 way stretch (you can't get that anywhere else) and can be woven to your specifications. It feels and looks a lot more real than fun fur, but at a $$ cost.
Downside? They only weave it long, and it doesn't shave down well. even the best made costume can end up looking like a yeti.

I'm making a werewolf suit currently for a low budget movie and have been considering this and other fur types for my clients needs. We have decided to use the 4 way fur as a mane down the back, but good (expensive) quality fun fur with guard hairs for the rest of it. Wolves have short fur, and wonderous as this material is, it doesn't work for me. Imagine shaving down a face? Stubble city ;)

Leg Extensions:
My engineer has been chatting with Eposognatus about his leg designs. I think they are amazing personally, the best stilted leg that I have seen to date. We are also developing similar legs for canines (another film commission) and wanted to swap ideas. We essentially have 2 different ways of coming up with something very similar. Eposognatus is a lovely guy, and very open to talking about his ideas.

And finally, the African wild dog suit that someone linked was made by my friend Lex (another Lex, that's my name too). I think he also charges around 8k for a costume, if you are interested. He recently produced a childrens TV show using a lot of his creations that I was involved with. Another really nice guy, worth talking to if you have the money for one of his creations.

As for me, everything is on hold currently as we move to a bigger studio a little closer to L.A. I'll be sure to show you guys all things werewolf related when we are back up and running. :)
Redstorm
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Redstorm »

Figarou wrote:I wonder why its expensive to make a suit like that. I know it gets even more expensive when its made for hollywood.
Materials run up a lot of the cost, but most is your labour. People don't realise the time these things take to make.
The general public expects a great costume at rock bottom prices, yet doesn't bat an eyelid when a lawyer charges $500 to fill in a piece of paper.

My costumes start at $1,800 for something basic like that. The most expensive one we have sold to an individual (not a company) was $8,400. These things take a lot of time to do.

(Take a look at the llamas again - notice the plain ones are almost $200 cheaper than the Spotted (airbrushed) one that is otherwise exactly the same. You are paying for the time it takes to do it).
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Redstorm wrote:
My costumes start at $1,800 for something basic like that. The most expensive one we have sold to an individual (not a company) was $8,400. These things take a lot of time to do.

:jawdrop: $8,400!?! Whoa!! Is there a picture of it at your site? I sure would like to see it.
Nitruswolf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Of Wolf Kin

Post by Nitruswolf »

good lordy I knew fur suits were expensive but damn.. x.x :jawdrop:
Human science denies posibility if it does not understand we're real, yet natural science only proves what is posible and is open to posibility!
Natural science has proven our existance, human science has failed to prove either way thus we do not exist!